The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Chainsaw.

Dillon 650 38/357 issue

Hey guys. My 650 is experiencing a new problem, at the powder throw position, the cases are leaning over and not lining up the mouth with the powder funnel, if I dont push the case mouth over a slight bit I run the risk of rolling over a portion of the case mouth. Is there an adjustment etc that Im missing?
Old March 19, 2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Wrong brass buttons in place? Need to pull the shell plate and clean out powder from underneath? Is the detent engaging properly?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 19, 2018, 11:06 PM   #3
BigJimP

It can't be the brass buttons ( they are in stations 3,4 & 5 on a 650. Powder drop is station 2. ).

There is a metal arm - with a spring on it...that you adjust on the lower right hand side of the primer assembly. You use a small allen wrench to adjust the arm so the case sits upright and in position ...( manual covers how to do it )...

Make sure your shell plate is down all the way and not rocking...if its rocking...loosen set screw on shaft ..tighten center bolt some more at same time putting pressure with fingers on shell plate so its down all the way ...adjust for auto index..tighten set screw.

Make sure there is nothing under shell plate ...
Old March 20, 2018, 07:54 AM   #4
jmorris

Get out your manual and go to page 39. Now figure 194 is the one of interest, there is a little set screw in that hole that allows you to adjust the #2 locator. If there is no gap, your cases will tilt.

If you did the manly thing and threw out the manual when you got it, you can take a look here.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html
Old March 20, 2018, 08:05 AM   #5
Chainsaw.

Nope, still have the manual, somewhere. Shell plate is adjusted nicely, I always take the time to do that. Must be the arm above the primer station. Ill give that a try. Thanks Gents.
Old March 20, 2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Excellent response from jmorris and a direct solution. I don't have a 650, and I'd forgotten the rotary primer feed doesn't leave room for a button stem at the powder station.

Chainsaw,

I have a lot of old .357 and .38 Special brass and I've seen some variation in the rim diameters. SAAMI standard allows a 0.008" span. If your's is mixed, I would take the calipers and find the fattest one you have and use it to check that the locator tab doesn't tip it. Also, set your cases on a flat surface and push them into a line with a ruler, then sight down the case mouths and look at their spacing from the side to check that none have bent rims that are helping tilt them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 20, 2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Chainsaw.

Never would have guessed it but this worked. And man is it a fine adjustment, just a 1/4 of a turn on that tiny wrench was the difference between tilted case or not.
Old March 20, 2018, 09:58 PM   #8
jmorris

Yep, sometimes it’s the little things that make all the difference.

At least it’s not as big of a deal as the O-ring on the Challenger...