The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 11, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
nateusmc

which is best for my m4

I am thinking about getting either a trijicon reddot scope or a eotech reddot holo sight for my dpms m4. Dont know which would be best, because i would use it for hunting as well as at the range and just for fun.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:04 PM   #2
mskdgunman

I've got a Trijicon Reflex sight which I have had for about 10 years now. I had used it on my patrol rifle until about 4 years ago. I really like a couple aspects of the sight but there are a couple things which could be better.

As for the pros: It's light and uncomplicated. There are no batteries to burn out at just the wrong time. It's also easy to zero.

The cons: The dot just is not bright enough for bright sunlight. I even had a problem with my tac light washing the dot out while clearing buildings or doing takedowns at night. They make a sunshade for it which improves the visibility in daylight a little bit but it's still hard to see (for me at least).

I guess thats the tradeoff for no battery in that you're stuck (sort of) whith the fiber optic and tritium to light the dot and it just doesnt generate the power that a battery does.

I have to give the company high marks for customer service though. The dot vanished completely one day just prior to a search warrant (thank God for BUIS) and after obtaining a return authorization and explaining that it was a duty optic, they had it back to me in a about a week which I don't think is too bad.

FYI, the fiber optic is apparently sensitive to cleaning chemicals and Trijicon suggested that I remove the sight from the weapon completely while cleaning if I was going to use gunscrubber or any spray cleaner. And NO, I wasn't spraying the sight. I guess that after so many years of use and cleaning it finally got enough overspray to kill it. I have since moved it to my Robinson M-96 and now use an Aimpoint for my duty rifle.

If you take all that into consideration, it's still an excellent sight.

I used an Eotech for a brief period and while I liked it and it was very visible in all lighting conditions, the reticle was just too "busy" for me as silly as that sounds. It's purely a preference thing and I would actually reccommend it over the Trijicon as I do like the concept. Maybe if I had given it more time I would have gotten used to it. Hope this helps a little
Old January 13, 2009, 11:29 PM   #3
FALPhil

If the Rooskis could get the elevation above the bore down by a whole inch, I would be interested in the PK/AS.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:42 PM   #4
mskdgunman

You're right. The majority of their optics sit way too high. Had one of their red dots that I liked. It just quit working and there's no place to get them serviced so here it sits...