The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2018, 02:57 AM   #1
JDBerg

Fair price to pay for a LN Browning Hi Power Standard w/ Adjustable Sights?

Well I saw a really nice one today at the local Cabelas Gun Library for...wait for it....$1,400.00(!?) I guess if you want one bad enough then this is pretty bad!

I know part of this is the fact that Browning now has these out of production and the other part of it is that prices in the local gun market here are absolutely inflated. Much cheaper than the Nighthawk Custom Hi Power that I saw earlier today, which is my gold standard in a 9mm firearm and which could be yours for the paltry sum of $3,195.00. I think if I ever had to sell off mostly everything (again), this Nighthawk would be the first one I’d get to restore the collection.

I’m thinking $750.00 gets me a good Mk III project gun that I can do the trigger & sights on & have a great range shooter. If the one at Cabelas were priced reasonably it would have come home with me and would now be keeping company with the NIB hard-chromed BHP Practical that I bought in 2009 for under $400.00.

Anybody want to take a stab at what is a theoretical “reasonable” price for this HP Standard? ? BTW, the duly appointed Gun Library official wasn’t hearing any offers - LOL
Old March 18, 2018, 08:44 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

The Hi-Power is one of the most produced pistols in the world. I think you can find them at a better price than even $750 if you are willing to shop around and wait.

And if you’ve got $3175 to spend, you can get a custom 2011 in 9mm the same size as a Hi-Power with the same ergos but a 1911 trigger.
Old March 18, 2018, 11:05 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

Cabela's prices are high too. However, Browning has taken the BHP out of production entirely, so it's possible they think they have an instant collector's piece.
Old March 18, 2018, 11:20 AM   #4
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts:
I think you can find them at a better price than even $750 if you are willing to shop around and wait.
Well I’m back east in June and I’m pretty sure I can get connected with a decent BHP MkIII that would get a set of sights and a trigger job done to it. That gun at Cabela’s Gun Library is actually “too nice”, I want a range shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts:
And if you’ve got $3175 to spend, you can get a custom 2011 in 9mm the same size as a Hi-Power with the same ergos but a 1911 trigger.
That money would get me the BHP I’m looking for plus the Sig P210 Target that I ALSO saw yesterday, another very nice “new” Sig that probably isn’t as good as the old version, but one that I wouldn’t hesitate to take to the range. This is yet another one that I’d like to buy from the guy who buys it new!
Old March 18, 2018, 11:38 AM   #5
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir:
Cabela's prices are high too
Actually I scored a nice LN CZ P-01 (non-Omega) late last year at the same Cabela’s Gun Library, and I had a gift card to use so this was a rare exception to the fact that their prices are usually quite high.
Old March 20, 2018, 04:18 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Search gunbroker, all of my HP's have come from there. Prices are climbing, so do a search sooner rather than later.

Ohio Ordnance Works imports surplus HP's every so often, including the much-prized aluminum-framed versions. You can get on their mailing list but it's better to visit their site every day.

Most I paid for an HP was $750.00 two years ago and I could have gotten it for less. It came with 5 factory (mouse trap) mags, box, papers. Gunbroker find.
Old March 20, 2018, 05:26 PM   #7
RickB

Twenty years ago, when Browning announced they weren't going to import the HP anymore, which was erroneously interpreted as the gun would not be produced anymore, prices spiked dramatically.
I was looking at $800-$1000 guns at that time, decided the frenzy would pass, and ended-up getting a really nice, lightly-used Mk. III for $450 a couple of years later.
I can't believe that anybody who really wants a HP doesn't already have one?
Old March 20, 2018, 05:37 PM   #8
WVsig

$500 to $700 is the right number now and always for a BHP. Way too many people over pay for them. If I was in the market for one right now I would wait unless you can get out under $700. People are stupid buying right now thinking they are going to go away forever when the reality if there are hundreds of thousands of them in the market.

Some collector pieces can and should push higher but for basic shooters $500-$700 is the right number. IMHO
Old March 20, 2018, 06:09 PM   #9
dogtown tom

So this used MkII is overpriced?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/754088758

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 20, 2018, 06:57 PM   #10
muzzleblast...

For a like new, blued, walnut stocked, adjustable sight BHP in the box, I'd go +$1000.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:05 AM   #11
Ibmikey

“Ya Snooze Ya Loose” is what I have gone by most of my life, when I intentionally snooze on a decision most of the time I regret it. A few years back I decided to add a High Power or two to my tangent Inglis and first year of production Belgian Army issue in the safe. At that time the Israeli imports were surfacing and Coles had the most discreet import marks so I picked up a couple of Mk III’s, three MkII’s and two E series.
At that time the pistols were in excellent condition and reasonably priced on “buy it now” auctions. Today most of the surplus HP pistols in good condition with discreet markings are gone and the occasional listing is drawing big bucks, there are some lesser conditions left but even those will soon be extinct.
Anyone with a desire to build a shooter today better get the project weapon locked up soon.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:08 AM   #12
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey:
”Ya Snooze Ya Loose” is what I have gone by most of my life, when I intentionally snooze on a decision most of the time I regret it. A few years back I decided to add a High Power or two to my tangent Inglis and first year of production Belgian Army issue in the safe. At that time the Israeli imports were surfacing and Coles had the most discreet import marks so I picked up a couple of Mk III’s, three MkII’s and two E series.
At that time the pistols were in excellent condition and reasonably priced on “buy it now” auctions. Today most of the surplus HP pistols in good condition with discreet markings are gone and the occasional listing is drawing big bucks, there are some lesser conditions left but even those will soon be extinct.
Anyone with a desire to build a shooter today better get the project weapon locked up soon.
Yep, I once had a perfect condition 4” Royal Blue Colt Python offered to me for $550.00 and I passed on it, left the gun store, got 1/4 mile down the road, turned around & went back to get it, and another guy was filling out the paperwork for it. Oh well!

I did get the S&W Model 27 for $275.00, the Sig P6 for $319.00, my 1st Sig P228 for $450.00 and then the 2nd P228 for $499.00, I still have the P6 and the 2nd P228, and miss the other 2.

I have a hard chromed BHP Practical but I still want a decent MkIII range / project gun with a nice trigger, a gold-bead front sight & rear bsttlesight, and a decent set of wood grips. And $500 - $700 for a base gun is right in my ballpark.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:05 AM   #13
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
Yep, I once had a perfect condition 4” Royal Blue Colt Python offered to me for $550.00 and I passed on it, left the gun store, got 1/4 mile down the road, turned around & went back to get it, and another guy was filling out the paperwork for it. Oh well!

I did get the S&W Model 27 for $275.00, the Sig P6 for $319.00, my 1st Sig P228 for $450.00 and then the 2nd P228 for $499.00, I still have the P6 and the 2nd P228, and miss the other 2.

I have a hard chromed BHP Practical but I still want a decent MkIII range / project gun with a nice trigger, a gold-bead front sight & rear bsttlesight, and a decent set of wood grips. And $500 - $700 for a base gun is right in my ballpark.
Something like this? This was built on a $500 GB MKIII LNIB base gun.

Last edited by WVsig; March 23, 2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:14 AM   #14
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
“Ya Snooze Ya Loose” is what I have gone by most of my life, when I intentionally snooze on a decision most of the time I regret it. A few years back I decided to add a High Power or two to my tangent Inglis and first year of production Belgian Army issue in the safe. At that time the Israeli imports were surfacing and Coles had the most discreet import marks so I picked up a couple of Mk III’s, three MkII’s and two E series.
I do miss the old days when you could get nice surplus guns from CDI for $500. I really miss the days of CDNN when they blew out all the FN rollmarked US market guns for $400 NIB.

Yes those days are gone but why panic now? There are so many BHPs in the marketplace. They have been in the market for a long time and will be around for a long time. Why encourage people to panic buy now that they are discontinued. The funny part is that we have known the production stopped for a while now. IIRC it was in Aug of 2017 when it was discontinued. The last of the MKIIIs shipped in March of 2017 according to DPris who posted here and on other boards.

Prices are now just starting to rise so it is the worst time to buy again unless you are paying under $700 for a MKIII shooter not a collectible. If you pay more you are overpaying IMHO but then again what do I know about buying BHPs.

Old March 21, 2018, 08:31 AM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

I see you like modifying Hi-Powers as much as you like buying them, WVSig

I remember back when AIM was blowing out Israeli MkIIIs for $286 circa 2001. They had the green enamel on the triggerguard and the yellow reflective tape with the paint over park finish. I thought they looked like hell at the time but they hadn’t been shot much. I even lucked into one with night sights already installed (unfortunately with about the same skill as the rest of the improvised gunsmithing on that pistol).

There are just a ton of Hi-Powers in the world. If MkIIs start selling for $1550, you can bet someone will find a supply to import.
Old March 22, 2018, 03:24 PM   #16
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSig;
Something like this? This was built on a $500 GB MKIII LNIB base gun.
It doesn’t have to be that nice! That one is every bit as fine as the Nighthawk Custom BHP I had my hands on last week and i’m sure it’s a lot cheaper!
Old March 23, 2018, 10:44 AM   #17
drobs

There's still some Hi Powers to be had on Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...&Sort=4&View=2

My 3:
Old March 23, 2018, 11:23 AM   #18
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
It doesn’t have to be that nice! That one is every bit as fine as the Nighthawk Custom BHP I had my hands on last week and i’m sure it’s a lot cheaper!
It is a Jim Garthwaite custom gun. Here is the build sheet for it. It was not cheap but cheaper than what Nighthawk is offering. The Nighthawks are good guns but I am not a fan of their aesthetic. My original intention was to have this one hard chromed but honestly I love the look of the matte blue with brushed flats so I never sent it back to get it refnished. The trigger is at about 4lb 10oz but feels lighter. These days this and my Don Williams alloy custom are my favorite BHPs.

SIGHTS
Heinie Original 300/Slant Pro fixed sights
Machine Heinie Slant Pro sight for one hand clearing
Garthwaite 10 Karat-.080 Gold Bead insert

FRAME MODIFICATIONS

Texture (stipple) front strap
Texture (stipple) back strap
Bevel magazine well (standard)
Machine boarder around factory front strap serial numbers

THUMB SAFETIES

Garthwaite custom thumb safety

TRIGGER JOBS

Complete trigger job using Garthwaite Tool Steel Commander undercut hammer, hard sear, and Garthwaite straight trigger (includes frame and slide fitting)

BARRELS/BARREL WORK

Throat factory barrel, polish feed ramp and profile extractor
Lathe turn barrel flush with slide face, recessed 60 degree recrown
Craig Spegel Presentation Grip Panels
Wolff recoil/firing pin springs
Checker slide rear 40 LPI
Flatten and Serrate slide top 40 LPI
Old March 23, 2018, 09:39 PM   #19
JDBerg

Jim Garthwaite does great 1911 and BHP work, I’ve seen some great examples of his work!
Old March 24, 2018, 04:12 PM   #20
bn12gg

Pricing for Hi Powers was all over the place prior to Browning saying no more production. I guess my Capitan is worth a little more since purchase 5 years ago -- big deal. The rare Nazi marked pistols continue up in value. But, tons of Hi Powers have been produced since the original P35. The pistol is not going bonkers $ upward in value. My LGS has then had a pristine S/W Model 10 38 for sale for two weeks at $368 -- tons made keep the best relatively inexpensive. No difference the Hi Power imo.

.02. David.