The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 28, 2022, 09:26 PM   #51
RickB

Quote:
Are you saying that you are only half as accurate shooting SA than you are shooting DA??
The competition is timed, and no matter how much more accurate SA might be, it's way too slow for a good score.
Old June 29, 2022, 01:42 AM   #52
44 AMP
Staff

I suspected shooting against a clock was why you would expect your match score to be less.

Enjoy that game as long as you can play it. I lost interest in that kind of shooting long ago, but, that's just me.
Old June 29, 2022, 09:39 AM   #53
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulgary
I, personally, have never known anyone who shoots a revolver better DA rather than SA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357
Slow fire accuracy
When I was shooting a lot, my DA target accuracy was at least as good as my SA accuracy.

Double action, 5 rounds, 15 yards:

Same gun, ammo & distance. Shot single action:

25 yards, double action:

A little DA trigger control demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmy5mkjpUNI

...and for balance, a little DA speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNFerCV3W4Y

Last edited by MrBorland; June 29, 2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old June 29, 2022, 02:02 PM   #54
gwpercle

My first handgun bought in 1970 a Ruger Blackhawk ...single action shooting .
My last handgun bought in 2021 Ruger Wrangler ... single action shooting ...
I don't have a problem with single action shooting ... you mean there is another way ?
Why I never knew !!!
Gary
Old July 1, 2022, 07:06 AM   #55
Montana Jon

I shoot my revolvers just like when I shot my 1911's, hammer back in SA because it's the most accurate way to shoot.
Old July 1, 2022, 07:57 AM   #56
stinkeypete

Mr. Borland is showing two things:
1. Good target shooting
2. Why the old S&W target revolvers were and are so prized. Great triggers and excellent accuracy. Modern manufacturers don’t want you to see targets like he is showing because

There is more profit selling plastic semi-autos with horrible triggers. Simply support “self defense” where the pistol sits in a drawer unfired its whole life, competition where people blaze away at huge steel dinner plates, or fellas shooting at 5 yards at something the size of a file cabinet. More profit. Making a really fine revolver is expensive and not as profitable.

That said, I love my Ruger single actions for field use. Especially in .44 Magnum class and up where you want a heavier pistol anyhow.

For target, competition has shown that the edge is to well made semi-autos, especially when cost of a tuned gun is factored in. That means maybe by a few points.

And “you kids get orfa my lawn”
Old July 1, 2022, 02:11 PM   #57
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete
Mr. Borland is showing two things:
1. Good target shooting
2. Why the old S&W target revolvers were and are so prized. Great triggers and excellent accuracy.
More that, while the SA trigger is generally associated with target accuracy, the DA trigger can be plenty accurate as well, and it's not, IMO, the strict "target vs shortrangedefendyourlife" dichotomy they're often boxed into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete
Modern manufacturers don’t want you to see targets like he is showing because

There is more profit selling plastic semi-autos with horrible triggers. Simply support “self defense” where the pistol sits in a drawer unfired its whole life, competition where people blaze away at huge steel dinner plates, or fellas shooting at 5 yards at something the size of a file cabinet. More profit. Making a really fine revolver is expensive and not as profitable.
A bit OT, but "plastic semi-autos" aren't designed to be target pistols, and they do what they're designed to do pretty well, and there's a strong market for that. They'd be a poor choice for a Bullseye match, of course, but in the hands of a competent shooter, a service-sized polymer striker-fired pistol is more accurate than they're often given credit for.
Old July 1, 2022, 02:49 PM   #58
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
the DA trigger can be plenty accurate as well,
In the right gun it CAN be. And in guns like S&Ws with their generally very good DA triggers its easier to be good shooting DA accurately.

BUT, there are lots of DA guns out there that aren't as good as good S&Ws.

Some of them have DA triggers so bad that they are really only useful for "shortrangedefendyourlife" so, that's the box I put those guns in.
Old July 30, 2022, 12:21 AM   #59
Blue Duck

Single action trigger pulls are easier to fire accurately for the average Joe, who has not practiced much double action, but very good work can be done shooting double action, if the gun has a good smooth action. For someone who wants to get good shooting double action, I suggest buying a nice used Smith and Wesson K22

The reason cops and private citizens who carry a revolver for self-defense need to learn good double action skills is because of the liability of unintentionally firing a shot, with a cocked pistol. That's why a lot of police departments went to double action only modifications to their revolvers in the years leading up to the adoption of semi-autos.
Old July 30, 2022, 09:52 AM   #60
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The reason cops and private citizens who carry a revolver for self-defense need to learn good double action skills is because of the liability of unintentionally firing a shot, with a cocked pistol.
while the liability certainly exists, I don't think it to be a major concern of citizens carrying revolvers for defense, the way it is for police departments. The primary reason is that police FREQUENTLY hold suspects at gun point, while armed citizens do it much, much less often.
Old August 2, 2022, 02:56 PM   #61
Blue Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
while the liability certainly exists, I don't think it to be a major concern of citizens carrying revolvers for defense, the way it is for police departments. The primary reason is that police FREQUENTLY hold suspects at gun point, while armed citizens do it much, much less often.
My thoughts are liability always exists, because even if you do get past the legal system with a clean slate, you can still be sued by the perp if he's still alive, or a member of his family.
For one thing, some ambulance chasing lawyer will be looking to make a buck, by saying you were willfully negligent and with video cameras everywhere, not to mention a live witness who could testify that you cocked the hammer, before taking out their beautiful innocent loved one. You could still end up losing in a civil case. And that sorry lawyer will lie in court and accuse of cocking the hammer and then accidently firing the weapon. It has happened in the past.
Old August 2, 2022, 03:13 PM   #62
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
And that sorry lawyer will lie in court ....
Which is, actually, their job....

Do note that in court the ONLY people under oath are those called to the stand to testify.

Not the Judge, not the prosecutor, not your lawyer, or anyone else is under oath to tell the truth.

Twain wasn't wrong back when he said a jury was 12 men chosen to decide which side had the better liar.

I've always figured the response to the accidently shooting accusation would simply be to state you intended to shoot them....

Seems like doing that forces the argument back to if the shoot was justified or not, and not that you accidently shot when you didn't intend to...

Personally, I can't see what difference it makes if you cocked the hammer with your trigger finger (DA) or with your thumb (SA) doesn't change the results. (unless,maybe your name is Baldwin)