The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 26, 2022, 08:33 PM   #1
old fart

scope difference?

I have a question on a scope I was gonna get since it was such a good deal and keep it put back till my next American or 10/22 rifle. On the natchez shooters supply site there are two models of Bushnell Banner 3-9x40, one says 3-9x40 multi x black matte clam and the other says 3-9x40 multi x black matte clam sb. what would the sb mean? I think clam means clam pack but have no idea about sb. There are a 30 dollar difference in price and it's the same brand and model except one has sb after clam. thanks
Old February 27, 2022, 09:56 AM   #2
stinkeypete

That Bushnell scope design come in 2 flavors…
One is basic and fog proof. About $60

The other is fully waterproof, argon filled, and uses multi coated lenses. About $90.

clam is “clamshell package.”
SB is … I don’t know.

My guess is that the more expensive scope is the one with coated lens and lifetime warranty and fully dunk-in-the-creek waterproof.

While $60 seems like a deal, check out what a fixed power 4x or 6x scope costs and how bright, light weight, bomb proof and inexpensive they are. At the range, you’ll just crank it up to 9 anyhow and leave it there… and not drop it In a creek!
Old February 27, 2022, 12:07 PM   #3
BobCat45

If one were looking for a fixed 4 power scope, what brand/make would you suggest?
Old February 27, 2022, 12:46 PM   #4
Sevens

I think Vortex products are a fantastic choice these days, you get a lot for your money and these folks have built a fantastic reputation for service and customer relations AFTER the sale.

Regardless of what I ended up buying, I’d be looking at what Vortex offers as part of the search.
Old February 28, 2022, 08:46 AM   #5
old fart

I finally got a hold of Natchez, glad I went a head and placed the order yesterday so it will ship today. Different boxes or packaging is all there is. I was told they buy in huge vollume sometimes when larger retailers fail to purchase an order from a vendor and they pass the savings on to the customer but everything is brand new and the same item just different packaging. In this case the cheaper scope is in a clam pack with a box type over package. My order invoice form says Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 multi x soft box clam. Thanks
Old February 28, 2022, 11:39 AM   #6
stinkeypete

Once you get the scope, go to the Bushnell website and see if you got product 613944 (circle x reticle) or 613947 (6” eye relief) (x reticle) or 613948 (x reticle)(regular relief)

I have to admit, I enjoyed the rabbit hole of Bushnell’s terrible explanation of these three nearly identical models.

In any case, I bet they’ll work fine!

For a 4” scope on a regular Joe .22, I think any fixed power scope will work just dandy. About the cost of 20 boxes of ammo or less.

Now, a fixed scope on a high powered rifle going on a hunt… different story. $40 scope in that case is a foolish economy.
Old March 2, 2022, 04:47 PM   #7
old fart

Well the order arrived and the scope is in a factory sealed box and looks to be the same scope I paid $100 for at my local store. It was not a plastic clam, B must have ment box don't know what S stood for. But they also sent me at no charge 2 sets of Weaver scope cleaning cloths, 4 total, so I now wished I had bought another scope but I only have one centerfire rifle so I guess 1 extra scope will be ok. thanks