The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 9, 2022, 12:27 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Savage Carbon Tactical

Ordered a Savage 110 Carbon tactical this week, 6.5 manbun of course.

I am going to be in the market for a lightweight chassis or carbon fiber stock. I want something close to or less than the factory accufit stock, (good luck, I know). Needs to have adjustable comb height, and vertical grip with palm swell.

Any suggestions? I know I could do this research on my own, but I figure having aa list of recommendations from those on the forum will save me some time in research.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old August 9, 2022, 04:34 PM   #2
Polinese

Cheapest one is gonna be the oryx chassis
Old August 9, 2022, 08:05 PM   #3
kilotanker22

The Oryx is nowhere near the weight threshold I need. They advertise that chassis at 4.2 pounds. If memory serves me correctly, the factory stock is a smidge over two pounds.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old August 9, 2022, 08:07 PM   #4
kilotanker22

The overall goal here is to shoot for a complete rifle system less than 11 pounds. that includes a full magazine, rings, base, optic, brake, and sling. With a bipod, it will be right around 12 pounds loaded out.

I am using steiner lightweight rings, Leupold VX5 HD, 3-15. My Tikka T3x Lite weighs 9.6 pounds loaded out with the same gear and 10 rounds of ammunition. The savage rifle according to the factory is 1.1 pounds heavier than the Tikka. I am assuming this can be done. And the Oryx isn't really that cheap. I could buy a carbon fiber stock from Stocky's for around $100 more than the Oryx and it weighs less than half what the Oryx does. I am not super concerned with price, but wouldn't spend $2K if $600 would do it.
– St. Augustine

Last edited by kilotanker22; August 9, 2022 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added some more thoughts.
Old August 9, 2022, 08:14 PM   #5
kilotanker22

The issue with the carbon fiber stocks is the comb is not adjustable.
– St. Augustine
Old August 10, 2022, 04:21 AM   #6
taylorce1

Put a Karsten Cheek rest on the Accustock. I don't think Stocky's makes a Carbon Fiber for Savage. I know McMillan stopped making Edge fills for Savage and all you can get now is the Magnum fill. MPI might make a lightweight stock, XLR chassis is lightweight but $1200.
Old August 15, 2022, 10:15 AM   #7
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Put a Karsten Cheek rest on the Accustock. I don't think Stocky's makes a Carbon Fiber for Savage. I know McMillan stopped making Edge fills for Savage and all you can get now is the Magnum fill. MPI might make a lightweight stock, XLR chassis is lightweight but $1200.
After handling the accufit stock a little more, I guess its not so bad. I can adjust the comb height to some extent. I just hate a tactical rifle with a hunting rifle stock. A more vertical grip is more comfortable for me, by a long shot, in the prone. I think I will just shoot it as is until sometime down the road.
– St. Augustine
Old August 17, 2022, 05:09 PM   #8
taylorce1

Hindsight is 20/20, and I like Savage rifles for how well they shoot. However, for the money Remington 700 rifles were always cheaper in the long run for me if I wasn't changing barrels. I don't know what the new Rem Arms 700 rifles will cost or ever be back in full production again. I sure wish I would have bought more of the cheap ADL rifles at Wal-Mart.
Old August 18, 2022, 09:55 AM   #9
kilotanker22

I saw some Remington 700 ADL rifles of new manufacture at Sportsman's Warehouse a few weeks ago. They were right around $500. I do like that they jewel that bolt prior to bluing it. Looks pretty nice.

I may end up going that route in the future and build something from the ground up.
– St. Augustine
Old August 18, 2022, 07:02 PM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22
I may end up going that route in the future and build something from the ground up.
If you want to build from scratch, buy a custom action with M700 footprint. You'll be money ahead on the long run.
Old October 5, 2022, 06:32 PM   #11
kilotanker22

So I finally paid this gun off. Took me two months, but stuff happens. Lucky my LGS is cool with ordering things for me and letting me take a couple months to pay for them.

I must say that this Proof barrel is pretty sweet. Shoots well too, or at least looks like it will shoot well. I took some random ammo I had loaded for my Tikka to fireform some brass and initial sight in. I will post a photo of the first three shots after sight in. I am sure this rifle will shoot well once I have ammo loaded for it.
– St. Augustine
Old October 5, 2022, 06:37 PM   #12
kilotanker22

The load here was Lapua case, CCI450, 140 grain ELD-Match bullet. Powder charge is not relevant because this was ammo loaded for another rifle. I did not even bother to chronograph them because I was only there to sight in and fireform brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 309709232_1083381659208637_1856306594310577201_n.jpg (402.1 KB, 11 views)
– St. Augustine