The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 29, 2022, 08:39 AM   #1
gaseousclay

Howa rifles

Is Howa considered a reputable company as far as their rifles are concerned? I’m not really a synthetic stock guy buy they have a carbon fiber rifle that looks kinda cool. No idea how reliable they are though
Old January 29, 2022, 10:00 AM   #2
std7mag

They are sought after by some.
The Weatherby Vangard line is made by Howa.

Like any manufacturer. Some love them. Some hate them.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 29, 2022, 10:29 AM   #3
natman

Howas are solid rifles. Howa made Weatherby Mk V rifles when they were made in Japan. The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa 1500 in Weatherby drag. The 1500 has also been sold as a Smith & Wesson, Mossberg and others.
Old January 29, 2022, 10:46 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

I have a weatherby vanguard ( Howa 1500).
It is a well made rifle and shoot very well! A few friends have them too, and they speak highly of them
buy with confidence
Old January 29, 2022, 11:20 AM   #5
BornFighting88

I am so glad someone posted about Howa actions. I have been curious about them myself. I was already aware that Howa made Weatherby’s Vanguard actions, but was unsure of their reputation.

I am looking to get into another project soon, and Brownell’s has Howa 1500 actions for sale, and maybe a brush or walking rifle for scaring varmints or deer would be a worthwhile venture.

Thanks for posting this!
Old January 29, 2022, 01:27 PM   #6
hounddawg

they are one of th efew companies that offer a off the shelf bolt rifle chambered in 6.5 Grendel so there is a lot of discussion on the 6.5 Grendel bolt forums. You can get an idea of what people that own them think about them there

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/foru...p-Single-Shots
Old January 29, 2022, 02:06 PM   #7
stagpanther

Very good actions, the only beef I've had with them is that despite YouTube videos claiming how easy it is to replace the barrels--I've never been able to do it with a factory installed barrel. I'd look to see if I could buy just the receiver and get a barrel nut if you envision future barrel replacements.
Old January 29, 2022, 02:41 PM   #8
taylorce1

Howa is a good rifle/action. My house has two rifles and if the right one pops up there will be more. My daughter basically hunts with the Howa Alpine in .308 and I use a Brownell's 6mm Creedmoor dropped in a Howa Alpine stock. The rifles weigh 7lbs and 7.5 lbs scoped, so they are a joy to carry all day. The only downside is they tend to be a little heavier than they need to be in long action cartridges.
Old January 29, 2022, 02:47 PM   #9
LawrenceN

I have a Howa 1500 mini action in 7.62X39 as a tidy little deer rifle. I love it! It's easy to carry, accurate as hell, slick bolt, and suits me to a "T". If I have one complaint, it's the soft catch on the magazine. It's too easy to just tap the mag release and have the mag drop out. That very thing happened 2 yrs. ago on my hunt. I'd slung the rifle and when I went into the bush and got ready to load, no magazine. I retraced my steps but with the deep snow, it was gone. I found it in the spring. I've since picked up a spare and actually attached the mag to the trigger guard so that can never happen again.
Old January 29, 2022, 06:46 PM   #10
gaseousclay

Are their rifles control round feed or push feed?
Old January 29, 2022, 06:56 PM   #11
Scorch

Howa rifles are push feed.

As others have said, Howa has a good reputation. They make a lot of weapons for the Japanese military.

And as stagpanther said, you don't want to get into a wrestling match trying to take off one of their factory installed barrels. I think they have Godzilla in the back room twisting barrels onto actions.
Old January 29, 2022, 07:44 PM   #12
Polinese

Fantastic actions and a better design than most of their contemporaries including the Rem 700. Barrels are hammer forged and there's plenty of stock options for them if you don't like what they come in.

They also sell just the barreled actions though they've gone up quite a bit in price even before the panic.

Honestly it's probably my favorite push feed action.
Old January 29, 2022, 07:52 PM   #13
bacardisteve

I have a couple weatherby vanguards built by howa. Great rifles my 257wby is my go to hunting rifle.
Old January 30, 2022, 08:07 AM   #14
std7mag

Ok, you've heard the good.
I guess i'm one of the few with the bad.
Had a first gen Vangard in 243 Win.
Shot first 3 rounds into their 1 MOA gauantee.
Next 3 shots would be 6" group.
Next 3 not on paper.
I checked all the screws. Changed scopes. Had other people shoot it.
Let it sit for 2 hours between groups.
Was the ONLY rifle i was glad to see go!

So, no. I'll never own another Howa or Weatherby Vangard.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 30, 2022, 12:13 PM   #15
stagpanther

Quote:
Ok, you've heard the good.
I guess i'm one of the few with the bad.
Had a first gen Vangard in 243 Win.
Shot first 3 rounds into their 1 MOA gauantee.
Next 3 shots would be 6" group.
Next 3 not on paper.
I checked all the screws. Changed scopes. Had other people shoot it.
Let it sit for 2 hours between groups.
Was the ONLY rifle i was glad to see go!

So, no. I'll never own another Howa or Weatherby Vangard.
I always wondered what happened to the bad one I returned, now I know.
Old January 30, 2022, 01:22 PM   #16
hammie

@std7mag: I believe you, but that's certainly bizarre.

@LawrenceN (post #9): There's a way to fix the magazine dump problem besides tethering your magazine to the rifle. Diversified Innovative Products (DIP) makes a machined, aluminum bottom trigger guard/magazine well and a redesigned magazine latch. I have them installed on my mini howa 1500 6.5mm grendel. The magazine lock-up is rock solid and it's nearly impossible to inadvertently work the latch. Plus this eliminates the potential cracking problem with the plastic bottom plate from tightening the stock screws.

Or, if you want to get rid of the magazines and magazine well sticking out, "oregunsmithing" makes a flush fit, mauser style trigger guard, hinged floor plate and internal box magazine.

Last edited by hammie; January 30, 2022 at 01:32 PM.
Old February 1, 2022, 02:10 AM   #17
Linker

Had a Weatherby VGS which was a wooden stocked rifle in probably 1987. Then I got the synthetic Weathguard probably a year later. Both had been made by Howa. Both were very accurate with the Weatherguard being the most accurate of the two. It was shorter and easier to handle so I carried it the most. I don't remember why I sold the Weatherguard but I sold the VGS with the intent of replacing it with a stainless rifle since I had a friend that had gone to Alaska. I wanted to go but never did. A few years ago I bought a Howa 1500 in 308 winchester. The first two Weatherby rifles were 270 winchesters. This was Weatherby's venture into other than Weatherby calibers. All were highly accurate and I wish I still had them.