The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

What to do to start shooting clays?

I have a single shot 12 Gauge Shotgun (an old Iver Johnson). And it almost never gets used except for casual 2 Liter shooting. I want to start shooting the clays (the one that fly up in the air) there is a trap range near me but I have to have a double barrel. Is there anyway to do it at home (safely)? Otherwise my shotgun only gets shot once or twice every few weeks. I've seen the handheld clay pigeon throwers, would that be enough? I can also get the big cases of the clays. I figured I'd have my dad or someone throw the clay and I would shoot it. How exactly would I aim for that? I've been wanting to do this but never understood really how to get started, so any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

-Mo.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old February 9, 2015, 07:08 PM   #2
FITASC

Why would you need two barrels for trap singles? I will suggest that your shoulder would not like to shoot 100 rounds through it though.......
Old February 9, 2015, 07:20 PM   #3
Mosin-Marauder

It tends to hurt after three.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old February 9, 2015, 07:27 PM   #4
olddrum1

You can pick up a single thrower pretty much anywhere if you have a place to shoot. Get your dad or a friend to throw for you. All you need to know is that you will break a few shooting in front of them but none shooting behind them.
Charlie
Old February 9, 2015, 07:34 PM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

There are specifically made single barrel trap guns running thousands and tens of thousands of dollars. For those clay games requiring a gun to hold two shells, many shoot pumps and semi automatics. Either someone at the club is jerking your chain or there is something you misunderstood. Some ranges require barrels to be a minimum length and many require a gun to have a full stock. (No pistol grips.)
Old February 9, 2015, 07:43 PM   #6
FITASC

IF your goal is to shoot nothing but trap singles, then a trap-specific single barrel like a Browning BT-99 would be a good gun. That said, if you ever want to shoot trap doubles, skeet, 5-stand, sporting clays and on and on, then you need a gun capable of firing two shots - whether that is a semi, pump, or O/U.
Old February 9, 2015, 09:10 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Mosin,
Go back down there and talk to the people and watch some of what's going on. Some places also rent guns.

If when talking to whoever you mentioned SPORTING CLAYS or they interpreted it as that then it's a 2 shot game with two clay pigeons that fly.

Singles trap/skeet is one shot.

Or buy a plastic thrower and have your dad use it to throw some clays for you. A local range also has something they call NOVICE TRAP. It's basically a do it yourself area. They provide a thrower and it takes two to do it. One to pull the thrower and one to shoot.

Beware if you start asking about guns to shoot clays the sky is the limit. Guys tend to say you can't really do it with a gun under $1000 and I'm sure there are trap guns as expensive as $100,000.
Old February 9, 2015, 09:31 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
Singles trap/skeet is one shot.
What is singles trap/skeet. There is singles trap, but skeet is a different game altogether and while at some stations you shoot a single target at a time, on some you shoot a single from one house, then a single from the other house, then doubles consisting of targets thrown simultaneously from both.
Old February 9, 2015, 09:57 PM   #9
FITASC

Here are some brochures from Remington:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...downloads.aspx

There's one for trap and one for skeet. Both cover all of the basics with tips.
Old February 9, 2015, 09:58 PM   #10
Jimbo-Indy

The versions of clay shooting with only one barrel have been covered in previous posts. You mentioned "aiming". You don't aim a shotgun, you point it. If you are serious about shooting any clay sports, I recommend you find a pattern board. Your local trap range probably has one. The idea is to mount your gun the same way every time and make adjustments so it shoots where you look. When the "bird" is thrown, you focus on the "bird" swinging with it. If the gun shoots where you look, the point of impact will be the "bird".
This is an over simplification as there are many versions of how to lead the target, etc. The idea remains: mount gun the same each time, have gun adjusted so it shoots where you look, swing with your body, the gun, shoulder, cheek position remains constant.
Most trap ranges usually have many nice shooters that will help you get into the right direction. Then it's practice and concentration.
Old February 10, 2015, 11:12 AM   #11
g.willikers

Actually, of all the shotgun games, the one that requires a version of aiming is trap.
Since the birds are going out and away, aiming where they are going does work.
But don't let them get too far away before pulling the trigger.
All the other shotgun games are best done by instinct shooting.
Focus on the path of the target, and forget about the gun.
It's kind of like point shooting a handgun.
As INDY sez, form is everything.
So forget most everything you do with rifles.
It's easy to tell the folks trying to use rifle techniques on the clay field.
They're the ones missing targets.
Old February 10, 2015, 11:19 AM   #12
g.willikers

P.S.
Quote:
It tends to hurt after three.
Get a shotgun with some heft to it and use light loads.
An auto loader, maybe, with 7/8 oz target loads.
Check out all the videos on the power factor show on this very subject, right here in the competition section.
Old February 10, 2015, 12:58 PM   #13
Dreaming100Straight

Thanks for the tip about that Power Factor show. I had found one by random on youtube, which was about cleaning an o/u, but didn't know about all of these.
Old February 11, 2015, 05:20 PM   #14
Economist

At the trap range I go to, they welcome any type of gun. If you only have a single gun and everyone else on the line is shooting doubles, they will just throw two singles in a row for you. No one is really serious about the competition, though. Everyone is there to relax and have a good time.
Old March 5, 2015, 09:49 PM   #15
Snyper

Sporting clays is meant to simulate hunting, so any normal shotgun can be used, but some stations will require multiple shot capability.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a workable gun
Old March 5, 2015, 09:54 PM   #16
FITASC

In sporting clays ALL stations will require multiple shot capability - whether on report or true....
If you would like to represent hunting, then shoot my namesake as it is done low gun, like hunting
Old March 6, 2015, 03:55 PM   #17
Husqvarna

Quote:
figured I'd have my dad or someone throw the clay and I would shoot it. How exactly would I aim for that?
you don't aim

you mount swing, shoot and continue the swing

more like pointing
Old March 6, 2015, 04:39 PM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
Actually, of all the shotgun games, the one that requires a version of aiming is trap.
Incorrect, the ONLY way to use aiming with a shotgun is when you are using it as a rifle as in slugs for deer or even turkey. Any game with moving targets requires pointing, not aiming.
Old March 6, 2015, 08:06 PM   #19
TomADC

For sporting clays a 12 ga semi auto is a good place to start, I use a Remington 11-87 Sporting Clays gun. For Trap I was looking at the Winchester SXP Trap gun can be had under $500 but I ended up with a Browning BPS Trap gun its a little heavier than the Winchester cost less than $800 out the door.
I think I could shoot trap with my 11-87 I have in the past but being a old fuddy duddy I wanted a Trap gun. I do have three skeet guns all O/U's a 12,20 & 28. but they sure aren't the high end super expensive guns I've shoot many 25,50,75 and even a 100 when I was younger.

Last edited by TomADC; March 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old March 7, 2015, 10:51 AM   #20
B.L.E.

Quote:
What is singles trap/skeet. There is singles trap, but skeet is a different game altogether and while at some stations you shoot a single target at a time, on some you shoot a single from one house, then a single from the other house, then doubles consisting of targets thrown simultaneously from both.
If you shoot in competition, yes, but most skeet ranges will allow you to shoot all singles if you are just practicing informally. They'll even let you shoot 25 birds at one station if you need extra practice at your worst station, if you can get a person to pull for you. A good way to introduce kids to shotgun shooting is to let them shoot the low house bird from station 7. An experienced shooter might want to practice the crossing birds from station 4 or maybe he needs a little practice on station 8. Just as long as he pays for the birds, no problem at most places.

Our local skeet range has programmable traps that allow you to set a time delay so you can pull for yourself.
Our trap field has a voice activated trap which allows you to practice all by yourself. No need to get a squad together and find a puller. The computer keeps track of how many birds you shot at.
Sometimes, when I practice trap by myself, I move after every shot instead of shooting five and then moving. That way I can concentrate on counting my misses instead of keeping track of how many shots I fired at a particular station.
I like to keep score, even when I'm just practicing.

Last edited by B.L.E.; March 7, 2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old March 7, 2015, 11:36 AM   #21
g.willikers

Quote:
Incorrect, the ONLY way to use aiming with a shotgun is when you are using it as a rifle
Exactly.
It helps a new clay bird shooter to bridge the gap between their accustomed rifles and a shotgun.
And it works with the going away birds on the trap field enough to keep their interest, instead of missing everything.
Old March 7, 2015, 08:07 PM   #22
FITASC

Hold your foreend with your offhand index finger pointing (and running parallel to the barrel) to the target. Let your eyes and hands move the gun, moving to the target and firing as appropriate.