The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 24, 2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Doc_Holliday

Depressed-Had to sell my favorite rifle.

So after months of bickering and every reason under the sun as to why i just had to keep it, i finally broke and let my fiance convince my to sell my wasr 10/63. Everyone says it's the smart thing to do with the value being so high right now and the fact that i'm in need of a car to get a better job, but it still feels like i just sold my firstborn. has anyone here experienced something similar? If so, how did it work out for you?
Old March 24, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Tinner666

I'd be deeply depressed too.

Is this the same Doc_Holliday I know elsewhere?
Old March 24, 2013, 11:04 AM   #3
cvc944

It could be worse. It could have been a rifle that few people want, sold off-season for less than you paid for it. That would really be a heartache. But in answer to your question, yeah, it's miserable to have to sell off one of the collection.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:07 AM   #4
ScottRiqui

They weren't my "favorites", but before I realized that my tastes in handguns would evolve over the years, I traded a Colt Detective Special and a S&W .357 Magnum for a shotgun. I'd take them back in an instant if I could.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Slotback

That was brutal to read OP. I know the feeling.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Doc_Holliday

@tinner666 I doubt it, this is my first thread post. And cvc944 That is a good point, now i have some real incentive to start an ar15 buiild.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:21 AM   #7
gundog5

My Fiance bickered with me for months about selling my favorite gun for a car! I have been happily married for 38 years and I can tell you this as an absolute truth, My wife would never ever bicker at me to sell a god damn thing. I have worked three jobs, hundreds of hours of overtime making a living for my family and would gladly die for them. But, bicker, hassle get pissy at me to sell something dear to me, never. Did your fiance also sell her most prised family possession say her grandmothers wedding ring. NO. You will regreat selling the gun forever and it will be an issue in your marrage because it won't be the last thing you are forced to sell. Next is your soul.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Doc_Holliday

Honestly its hard to say i have a choice. My first child is due near the end of the year, and stocking shelves at walmart isnt going to cut it for long. As a consolation, i made her promise not to interfere after i get my lower.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Tinner666

Was just wondering. Your handle is identical to one on a non-firearm related forum. I think he had mentioned looking for another job recently too.
Luck to you, and now back to the thread.

I hate selling any firearms.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:42 AM   #10
tomrkba

If you are depressed regarding the sale of a rifle, only one thing will cheer you up:

This.

Report here.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Michigan Big Iron

Sad

That is too bad you had to sell it. Just remember, in the long run, they build them every day. You will have another.

Just thinking, Women, they build them every day too!

Lock and Load!
Old March 24, 2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Doc_Holliday

I know. It's like missing your first car though, the others just aren't quite the same. And the mere utterance of the words Larue Tactical makes my debit card shrivel up in fear.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Ruger480

I feel your pain. I hope she doesn't hassle you too much when you go to replace it because there is ALWAYS going to be something she finds more important.
Don't get too depressed over it though, you'll figure it out!
Old March 24, 2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Doc_Holliday

That's the beauty of the ar platform, i ca buy one spring and pin at a time and hope she doesn't notice!
Old March 24, 2013, 12:00 PM   #15
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
Honestly its hard to say i have a choice. My first child is due near the end of the year, and stocking shelves at walmart isnt going to cut it for long. As a consolation, i made her promise not to interfere after i get my lower.
Well it sounds like you made the best of a bad situation. And building from a lower will probably make it harder for your fiance to pressure you to sell it later.

"You want me to sell the rifle that I BUILT?"
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old March 24, 2013, 12:22 PM   #16
redhologram

That just made me hurt for you to read. I'm sorry.
The one thing I will never ask my fiance to do, no matter how dire the circumstances are, is sell any of his guns. (For that matter, I let him think for himself and use his own head. I prefer not to castrate him).
I might would have waited on having the baby if finances are that tight. I know things aren't always planned but it's the times when you can't afford them or don't need them when you need to double up on precautions. They only start costing more.
Regardless, I hope you can look forward to starting a new collection with your son or daughter and doing some builds together. That's where sentiments and memories can really be made.
Good luck!
Old March 24, 2013, 01:21 PM   #17
rlc323

When you are first starting out you end up making some decisions like that. When my son was born 30+ years back I sold my motorcycle to pay the doctor bill. Looking back it was the smart thing to do, but it sure stung at the time.

I did hang on to my trap gun but it did not get much use for the first few years of our marriage.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:09 PM   #18
pathdoc

I had to get rid of three at once, albeit for different reasons. Know how you feel.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:47 PM   #19
Joe_Pike

I'm not attached to any gun that I've ever bought, and would sell any one of them if I made a decent amount of money on it. I've got an old Ruger Single Six that was my dads that I'd never sell, though.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Grizz12

I had a GF ask why I had so many guns, then I took her out shooting and she is hooked
Old March 24, 2013, 09:37 PM   #21
MagnumWill

It could be worse - you could have sold it in October of last year...
Old March 24, 2013, 10:03 PM   #22
FoghornLeghorn

I sold a very carefully accumulated collection due to a divorce. That was in 1990.

It's just metal and wood. We have priorities and it sounds like you have yours. Transportation is essential.

Trust me. You'll get another just like it, and then some.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:07 PM   #23
breakingcontact

Sounds like you sold it for good reasons.

Now get your transportation and finances in order and buy an Arsenal AK.

Always forward.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:19 PM   #24
22-rimfire

I have committed to a sale and then have second thoughts. But my word is my bond. Time passes and I know that I made the correct decision. I suspect you will feel the same way especially when a year from now you may be able to buy one for less than you sold it for today.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:13 PM   #25
medalguy

Several others have commented about your priorities. You made a decision to do what was best for your family. Good for you.

Remember, the family always comes first. If you are trying to get a better job, that is something that will benefit both you and your family for the rest of your life. A gun, even your first one, can always be replaced. Remember, "This is my gun. There are many others like it, but this one is mine." Translated " The one you own is yours, but there may be many others just like it." When the time is right, and your finances are better, you will replace it. Always think long-term and you won't go wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
ak47 , sold , wasr