The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 2, 2012, 03:45 PM   #26
BlueTrain

The 7.62 Tokarev was based closely on the 7.63 Mauser, also called .30 Mauser, which was popular in Russia while they were in production. The Mauser C96 of course predates both the .45 ACP and the 9mm, barely. It was really the 9mm that got a late start in the game in a manner of speaking. I doubt anything in .30 Mauser found its way here before WWI while .45 autos were relatively widespread.

In any event, it's a rare soldier that gets to pick his personal weapon. Still, battlefield trophies have always been prized but the junior grades tend not to have them.
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 2, 2012, 11:37 PM   #27
kozak6

I'd go for the M1911A1 in .45 acp simply due to supply issues.

There wasn't much 7.62x25 on the Western front or in the Pacific theatre, as I understand it. 7.63 Mauser works, but it's still fairly uncommon.

The 10mm seems like a great way to ensure there would be no possibility of resupply.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:17 AM   #28
Smit

Wow it's this F*&#^'in guy again. The 1911 is better than the Tokarev, end of story. Go America
Old April 3, 2012, 12:25 AM   #29
Tactical Jackalope

1911 1911 1911 1911 1911
1911 1911 1911 1911
1911 1911 1911
1911 1911

USA baby!
Old April 3, 2012, 12:39 AM   #30
tahunua001

I would take neither. 1911 triggers just have not agreed with me and toks ergos have also been hard pressed to impress me. now many will call this blasphemy but if someone designed a nice double stack, 7.62x25mm 1911 with a XDM style trigger I would buy it in a heart beat...

for the time being 30 tok is still cheaper than 45ACP. it has hunting level penetration and it's not hard to find ballistic tips or soft points to load in order to make a good hunting round.

call me an oddball but that's just how my cookie crumbled.
Old April 3, 2012, 03:10 AM   #31
gyvel

Quote:
Let's look at it this way. One of those two designs is in current uninterrupted production. One of those designs is in current use by top tier law enforcement and special operations folks. One of those two designs is consistently in the winners circle in various shooting disciplines etc. and so forth.
That's debatable. The Tokarev was in production and military use in one form or another until the late 80s that I know of, and variations thereof are still being produced in China and sold commercially throughout the world.

While in Iloilo, Philippines last Novemever, I saw a new version of a Tok that I had never seen before, known as the "NO4," made by Norinco. I have pics, but they won't download here via the attachment feature right now.

But, to answer the original question, I'll take a 1911.
Old April 3, 2012, 06:21 AM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

"It's always nice to touch the enemy from where he cannot touch you back."

Yep, thank God Hitler never gave his troops rifles, or submachine guns, or anything like that...

"7.62x25 dates to 1930 from everything I can dig up."

The 7.62 is really nothing more than a manufacturing variation of the 7.63x25 Mauser cartridge, which started life in the late 1800s.

After World War I when both Germany and Russia were parriahas on the international scene they out of necessity developed trade and military ties.

Russia ended up purchasing quite a few thousand C96 Mauser handguns and millions of rounds of ammunition.

When they started loading it domestically, dimensions were changed slightly to better suit what the Russians had in the way of manufacturing capabilities.

The 7.62 Tok and the 7.63 Mauser can often be used interchangeably in either the TT pistols or the C96.

"Let's look at it this way. One of those two designs is in current uninterrupted production."

That's sort of disingenuous to say that makes the 1911 "better."

The reason the 1911 is still in production in the United States and is a hit with the civilian market is, unlike the communist nations, there IS a civilian handgun market in the United States.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 3, 2012, 06:27 AM   #33
BlueTrain

No matter what army you're in, doesn't it always seem like the other side has better weapons?
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 3, 2012, 07:55 AM   #34
SPEMack618

I don't know BlueTrain, I would certainly take an M-1 Garand over an Ariska or Enfield.

Or my M-4 over one of those same Enfields today.
Old April 3, 2012, 09:51 AM   #35
gyvel

Quote:
Or my M-4 over one of those same Enfields today.
One of those Lee-Enfields would still give your M4 a run for its money, though.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:19 PM   #36
raftman

If the decision were being made on cool-factor alone, then hands down the Tokarev comes out on top.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:40 AM   #37
Winchester_73

Quote:
If the decision were being made on cool-factor alone, then hands down the Tokarev comes out on top.
So either you never saw a 1911, never used one, never owned one, or are flaming the thread!
Old April 4, 2012, 08:42 AM   #38
RedBowTies88

Toks are way cooler then 1911's. Reguardless of which one is "better"
Old April 4, 2012, 09:24 AM   #39
gyvel

Quote:
Toks are way cooler then 1911's. Reguardless of which one is "better"
And this is how Chrysler stays in business...
Old April 4, 2012, 09:25 AM   #40
RedBowTies88

I'm a chevy guy
Old April 4, 2012, 10:01 AM   #41
Mike Irwin
Staff

And I'm a Subaru Outback guy who's going to all-wheel drive over all of you in a minute if you don't pull it back on track...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:13 AM   #42
gyvel

The "neatest" Tokarev I have handled and shot to date is the CZ 88. I got hold of a couple when Sarco was selling them. They are just the right size for a 9mm, kind of like a Tokarev "Commander." EAA took over importing and selling them for a while, but K-Var has them now.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:38 AM   #43
RedBowTies88

Eaa still lists the model 88 on their site?

I need to get a standard tok first before I worry about about the M88. I've had the joy of shooting a few and really liked them. If you could still get the 9mm barrels for them I would of had one already.

I almost ALMOST bought a yugo m57.. glad I didnt though. holding out for a nice polish to match my p64.
Old April 4, 2012, 02:58 PM   #44
gyvel

Quote:
Eaa still lists the model 88 on their site?
No. Sales and distribution is being handled by K-Var currently.

The ones I got from Sarco had original wood grips with a ZCZ medallion in one grip, and the slides were marked with the Zastava name. Also, the mags had metal finger extensions, not plastic. Apparently, they were imported prior to to BATF's "hissy fit" time regarding origins and importers, as the Sarco mark is incredibly tiny and just about illegible.

They do use Norinco 213 mags, but you lose the finger rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M88.jpg (57.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by gyvel; April 4, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old April 4, 2012, 03:10 PM   #45
GaryH

Old April 4, 2012, 06:40 PM   #46
amd6547

I like both the Tok and the 1911. Both are great designs.
For me, the Tok makes a lot of sense as a secondary weapon to a long arm, since it is smaller and thinner. I also like that the Tok round has such flat trajectory, and penetrates so well.
My personal Romanian Tok serves as my backpack pistol due to its size to power ratio, it's reliability, and the fact that it was cheap to acquire.
I find that just about any reasonably sized target I aim at is in serious danger of perforation out to 100yds with the Tok.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:32 PM   #47
jhenry

Quote:
That's debatable. The Tokarev was in production and military use in one form or another until the late 80s that I know of, and variations thereof are still being produced in China and sold commercially throughout the world.
It's only debatable if you take one portion of my statement and run with it. II will conceded that Toks in some form or another are being made somewhere. They are still not the choice of top tier law enforcement and military units, or in the winners circle of a variety of shooting disciplines.

Quote:
"Let's look at it this way. One of those two designs is in current uninterrupted production."

That's sort of disingenuous to say that makes the 1911 "better."
It would in fact be disingenuous if that was all there was to the statement, but it isn't. I find it to be disingenuous to take one portion of a statement intended to stand as a whole and to portray it in some other fashion.
Old April 5, 2012, 12:35 AM   #48
raftman

Quote:
Quote:
So either you never saw a 1911, never used one, never owned one, or are flaming the thread!
Seen 'em, used 'em, and even owned a couple. They're not bad guns by any means... but sorely lag behind in the cool factor. It's like comparing buttermilk to birch sap vodka.
Old April 5, 2012, 07:08 AM   #49
gyvel

Quote:
They are still not the choice of top tier law enforcement and military units, or in the winners circle of a variety of shooting disciplines.
Unfortunately, neither is the 1911. While it remains popular in commercial circles, it is no longer in widespread use by any "top tier" LE or military agency that I know of. Seems as though that role has been filled by Berettas and Glocks.

Now, having said that, I am a HUGE fan of the 1911, but I daresay in other parts of the world, you're more likely to encounter a Tokarev than a 1911.

Last edited by gyvel; April 7, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old April 5, 2012, 07:30 AM   #50
SPEMack618

I thought LAPD SWAT, LAPD SIS, and the FBI HRT all used -1911s of some sort. And don't forget the MEU(SOC) guys going with the M-45.