The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2011, 01:27 PM   #1
ZVP

The .36 Navy Model What a blast!

I was shooting on the BP range the other day and had the chance to shoot with my hearing protection off. The 36 has a nice report! I can see how such a sense of power and security is given by the Navy Model! Impacts are very quick at ranges to 25 yards and at 21 ft, instainitaous!
I wonder if any tests on actual penetration exhists for the Navys? I am betting the little .36 caliber really gets in the boiler room!
I found that a long shooting session with the Navy Model did not leave you deaf or hearing impared when the gun is shot out in the open. Indoors or shot under a shed cover, muzzle blast is objectionable. Black powder does have it's own "BOOM".
I noticed that varying the powder charge between 15 and 22 grains, the report dosen't change much. Only a "Blank" powder charge (No Ball) loads change the muzzle report of the Navy's. Using the Navy in re-enactments provides both an audible and visual experience!
The popularity of the Navy model is obvious for many reasons but the largest being that it WORKS! It works well and consistantly for the job it has.
ZVP
Old November 14, 2011, 07:35 PM   #2
mykeal

Quote:
I found that a long shooting session with the Navy Model did not leave you deaf or hearing impared when the gun is shot out in the open.
How did you determine that? Do you have audio test data showing no high frequency PTS?

Hearing damage from loud impulsive noise is cumulative and long term. It starts at the high and low threshold frequencies and is insidious. Without before and after testing you can't tell if it's happening until it's too late.
Old November 14, 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
ClemBert

What's a "navy" model. Never heard of that one. Maybe a picture would help me understand what you are talking about?
Old November 15, 2011, 12:30 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I think...

...he is speaking of the caliber.

Regarding penetration. I had a .36 Sheriff's model pass through a four inch tree at about fifteen yards. It was a little off center. May have been closer to three inches. The lead was about 95 percent pure so it may have been a little hard. I think I was shooting about 20 grains.

Tnx,
Old November 15, 2011, 06:36 AM   #5
Hawg

20 grains and a .380 ball didn't have enough oomph to penetrate the side of an old fridge from 10 yards. It took a double strike to make a hole.

25 grains and a conical make good holes tho.

Old November 15, 2011, 08:56 AM   #6
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
I think...
...he is speaking of the caliber.

Regarding penetration. I had a .36 Sheriff's model pass through a four inch tree at about fifteen yards. It was a little off center. May have been closer to three inches. The lead was about 95 percent pure so it may have been a little hard. I think I was shooting about 20 grains.
Hehehe, I know he is. I'm still waiting for him to tell us what it is that he has.
Old November 15, 2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Hardcase

Now, now, be nice fellers.

Maybe I'm just one of those citified, sissy boys, but even just popping a cap with no hearing protection makes my ears ring. Besides, ten years in the Navy did a number on my hearing, so I'm sort of protective of what I've got left.

But I do have to say that the "navy" caliber is a hoot. All bang and smoke and no flopping around
Old November 15, 2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
What's a "navy" model. Never heard of that one. Maybe a picture would help me understand what you are talking about?
Colt

Remington

Old November 15, 2011, 11:02 AM   #9
ClemBert

Hawg, I'm sure what he has is similar to one of what you posted. Guess those pics are so he can figure out what he has.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Hawg

Uh huh
Old November 15, 2011, 03:51 PM   #11
bn12gg

Shooting at a range without hearing protection is just plain
dumb! What's the point of mentioning it? Doesn't the range
have sight and hearing protection policy?

.02 David
Old November 15, 2011, 11:29 PM   #12
ZVP

Never seen so many perfectonists!
Colt's pistol of Navy Caliber I think is what yer wantin to hear....
S'cuse a beginners error 'Ol Timer!
No, there are no hearing protection requirements on the open-air BP range. You shoot at your own risk...
All other ranges require EYE protection and only suggest hearing protection.
Back in '70 Uncle Sam hepled ruin my hearing. It was just a by-product of a Police Action... I guess that's why the little .36 dosen't bother my hearing so much.
Yea I joined and don't complain about a little hearing loss in service to my country!
How come comedy dogpiles are so prevlant around here?
ZVP
Old November 15, 2011, 11:37 PM   #13
Hardcase

Aww, we're just a bunch of old curmudgeons.
Old November 16, 2011, 01:01 AM   #14
Hawg

My Navies don't bother me but my Armies do but whatever you do, never fire a .54 with the muzzle inside a shootin house. JEEZ!!!!!
Old November 16, 2011, 06:58 AM   #15
Doc Hoy

Z

I lost my hearing the same way you an Hardcase did. (And I assume a bunch of others in the group.)

I do use hearing protection for every shot I fire, and I advise it to others but in the end, folks pretty much do what they want to. Life is too short to get all exercised about it.

Now if you want to see "exercised", just call a revolver a "gun"!
Old November 16, 2011, 07:11 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

Tough crowd today.
Old November 16, 2011, 07:48 AM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Now if you want to see "exercised", just call a revolver a "gun"!
It is a gun.
Old November 16, 2011, 07:58 AM   #18
bn12gg

Well, do as you wish. Knowingly, making yourself hard of
hearing or worse (tinnitus) makes no sense. I have a friend
who did a whole bunch of trap shooting many years ago without
hearing protection. He's now got tinnitus deluxe driving him
crazy. Looking back on it, he just shakes his head, yep young
and dumb.

.02 David
Old November 16, 2011, 08:03 AM   #19
mykeal

One of the purposes of posting experiences on a forum like this is to provide people new to the sport with useful knowledge - there are people who look to us to help them learn and enjoy this way of life.

When you see a post that contains dangerous activity without a warning, it's important to post a dissenting opinion; at the very least this raises a flag to the uninitiated that this isn't necessarily the normal way of doing things in this sport.

Shooting without hearing protection is a dangerous activity; dangerous in that it causes injury. It isn't life threatening, but it is definitely quality of life threatening, and it is most certainly injury as any qualified physician or physiologist will testify. As I said above, it is insidious, in that the damage isn't obvious at the time of the injury, and it is cumulative, so that repeated events add up over time.

The initial post implies, quite clearly, that firing a .36 cal black powder revolver on an open range will not cause hearing damage. Seeing no dissenting opinion, a shooter new to black powder sports would easily accept that premise without question. But, that's simply not true - the damage isn't noticeable, and it isn't major, but if continued over time it will result in permanent, significant hearing loss.

In a later post we learn that the reason the OP claims no hearing damage is that his hearing is already damaged. That's certainly a much different scenario than what was initially represented. It's possible that his hearing loss is so profound that no further damage is possible, or that the amount of additional damage is negligible. But that doesn't apply to a young person just getting into black powder shooting sports, and we have some responsibility to provide those new shooters with accurate information relative to their circumstances.

Frankly, if one wants to go out and enjoy the BOOM, and accept that in doing so he's doing damage to his hearing, that's just fine with me; they're your ears, Bubba, have a ball. You can even tell yourself that it's not hurting you - no skin off my nose. But I won't sit by an let you promulgate that lie to others. They at least deserve to know that not everyone agrees, so they can go get honest, accurate information.
Old November 16, 2011, 08:49 AM   #20
Hawg

Yeah, my hearing is already shot too.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:24 PM   #21
ZVP

I give up .36vcaliber guns are loud.
I like loud!
It's just tough if You disagree!
Maybe you girls should shoot Daisys.
Go flame someone who values your humor.
Zvp
Old November 16, 2011, 06:31 PM   #22
mykeal

There is no humor here. It's a serious subject.
Old November 16, 2011, 09:37 PM   #23
ZVP

Things that matter

Sure could have fooled me reading thru the thread... I found a lot of "sport" flowing in my direction! Seems it started with the name of the gun and torched-up from there.
What I don't get is why if you bring up a topic around here it MUST be worded to please the self-appointed rulers of this Forum or otherwise get you torn apart? I didn't find that in the rules of discussion.
Sure, I like to joke around like the next guy but it gets old all the time. It's not just me who's experienced it, I just speak back!
This could be a great Forum if that sort of little group stopped hazing new posters and newbe shooters.
If it offends certain people. then you are to whom I speak.
This is actually a pretty good place to get info and generally the posters are gentmanlly and cordial in their responses it's just when the "play" starts, it insults and offends new posters. Some may tuck their tails and leave but I don't don't believe in running.
Now lets try and start over or shall we keep up the way we were?
ZVP
Old November 16, 2011, 09:51 PM   #24
rdstrain49

yep.
Old November 16, 2011, 10:06 PM   #25
mykeal

Quote:
Now lets try and start over or shall we keep up the way we were?
Go right ahead. It's your thread, start it over.