The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 9, 2009, 08:11 PM   #1
alwayspackin1

Surefire lamp replacement

i am looking for a bulb/led to replace the one that went out in my 9P.

anyone dealt with these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-300-L...item3ef9acec8b

or these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/G8-Alpha-USA-390...item45ef2066d9

Last edited by alwayspackin1; November 9, 2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old November 9, 2009, 09:41 PM   #2
ancienthacker

There is a member here, WolfAmmoMan, who I purchased some LED replacements for my 6Ps. Very bright, easy on the batteries. I'd send him a PM and see if he still has some.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:58 PM   #3
madmag

I replaced my SureFire G2 incan with a after market Cree R2 LED that gives over 230 lumen's. It is great. Just $19.95 plus about $2.50 shipping. Should be even brighter in the 9P. Here is the site.

http://www.lighthound.com/

Note that they do have even higher output (about 300 lumen) Cree for SureFire for just a little more.

Note: I have not dealt with the source you list, but their price sure seems lower than even Lighthound.

BTW, my SureFire with the Cree R2 LED is in the wow category. The light from this palm size light is truly astounding. What a change. From a 60 Lumen P60 bulb, which I thought was pretty bright, to a 230 Lumen LED.....wow!

Last edited by madmag; November 9, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old November 11, 2009, 10:09 AM   #4
nad1967

just be weary of their listed output... they are differently brighter but don't get caught up on seeing a 200 lumen increase
Old November 11, 2009, 10:12 AM   #5
madmag

Quote:
just be weary of their listed output...
My experience is that Cree outputs are as listed, if not underrated.
Old November 15, 2009, 04:20 PM   #6
DVC45ACP

I upgraded my old Surefire 6Z with a Cree R2 LED lamp (twenty bucks) also from WolfAmmoMan, and have been very happy with the performance. Definitely much brighter and whiter than stock.

The components don't look as beefy as the stock lamp but I've been carrying and using it for several months now with no issues. I really need to buy another for my 6P.
Old November 15, 2009, 04:56 PM   #7
madmag

Same here with my Surefire G2 upgraded to Cree R2. I am surprised at the throw. I consider the G2 for close in tactical light, but it will light things up at a fair distance.

Things are moving fast in the LED flashlight world. For years everything was constant, now improvements are coming about every three months.
Old November 21, 2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Guyon

I too have a 6Z and would like to upgrade. Is there only one Cree R2 assembly type? Just want to make sure that, if I Google and purchase, what I get is going to work.
Old November 21, 2009, 11:33 PM   #9
madmag

Quote:
Is there only one Cree R2 assembly type?
The Cree R2 assembly will operate at a range from about 4V to 13V. So it can run on a two or three cell CR123 battery setup, or even re-chargeable lithiums.

Best of my knowledge you can get the Cree R2 from more than one after market supplier. I don't think Surefire even offers that assembly. Here is the company I purchased ($19.99) my R2 from. They have always been very good. Also I like that they use just normal US mail and the shipping is only about $2.50.

http://www.lighthound.com/

Do the R2 upgrade for $19.99, you will be very happy with the results.

Last edited by madmag; November 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old November 22, 2009, 06:09 AM   #10
1goodshot

I got my replacement lamps from this place http://www.malkoffdevices.com/
Old November 22, 2009, 10:21 AM   #11
madmag

1goodshot,

Did you get the Cree R2? Cost?
Old November 22, 2009, 01:22 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

A friend of mine picked up LED bulbs for our 6Ps from one of the manufacturers in Hong Kong. I can't remember the name, and there's no information printed on the bulb assembly.

It is, however, incredibly bright and gives off VERY white light. Plus it doesn't chew through batteries like the regular light.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 22, 2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Sodbuster

I've been reading this thread, madmag, and already checked the cost on the two sites. (You too, I bet). Malkoff at $55 and lighthound at $20! Both for lamps rated at 235-240 lumens. What am I missing? I may invest in a Cree for my Z3 Combatlight.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old November 22, 2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Glenn E. Meyer

Is there a 3P replacement? I have one that's dead.

I didn't see one.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:30 PM   #15
madmag

Quote:
Yes, the list I see at Lighthound has the Cree for the 6P.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound...hts_p_965.html

Quote:
What am I missing? I may invest in a Cree for my Z3 Combatlight.
Not sure. The Malkoof site seems to have good products. All I can say is the Cree R2 from Lighthound for $19.99 lives up to it's rating. My change on my G2 was from the P60 (60 lumen) to the Cree R2 at 200 Plus. That's a big change and it looks like a big change when you turn the Cree on.

Added: For those that have not made the transition from incandescent to bright LED. In general, incandescents are tinted toward the yellow spectrum, while good LED's are very white. I like that myself. This tends to make the LED look even brighter. After you get use to the white light you will probably not like the yellow tint lights.

One minor down side. I have LED's on flex head that I can use as a bore light, but they are too bright & white. They just do not work as well as a dimmer incandescent lights for bore inspection.

Last edited by madmag; November 22, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old November 23, 2009, 06:06 AM   #16
1goodshot

I got the m60, m60f and the m60LL. I paid $55 apiece for the bulbs. With the G2 i think you have to be carefull with the high output lamps becouse of the plastic head on the flashlight.
Old November 23, 2009, 09:57 AM   #17
madmag

Quote:
With the G2 i think you have to be carefull with the high output lamps because of the plastic head on the flashlight.
No problem with the G2. Per Surefire, the G2 will take even the P90 Bulb upgrade which is more heat than the Cree R2.

BTW, My G2 barely gets warm running the Cree. And remember that the G2 is made from a polymer similar to pistols, not just plain plastic......so no problem.

My personal experience is that you do no have to worry about having glass lens and such until you get to about the 20 watt range, and that normally only happens with the high output incandescent lamps.

Last edited by madmag; November 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old November 27, 2009, 12:11 PM   #18
LukeA

Quote:
No problem with the G2. Per Surefire, the G2 will take even the P90 Bulb upgrade which is more heat than the Cree R2.

BTW, My G2 barely gets warm running the Cree. And remember that the G2 is made from a polymer similar to pistols, not just plain plastic......so no problem.

My personal experience is that you do no have to worry about having glass lens and such until you get to about the 20 watt range, and that normally only happens with the high output incandescent lamps.
It's not the flashlight body you have to worry about damaging with heat, it's the LED itself. Conducting heat away from the LED is why the G2L comes with an aluminum head. At least in the past (and possibly now), SF was willing to ship free aluminum G2L heads to those who called to ask.

A pretty definitive list of P60-sized LED modules is here.
Old November 27, 2009, 12:14 PM   #19
LukeA

Quote:

I didn't see one.
A bunch of those modules will just drop into direct drive on one cell. Won't be very bright unless it's a rechargeable though.
Old December 2, 2009, 04:48 PM   #20
bgdv1

go to solarforce.com and check out there reeplacement bulb/leds. i have 3 surefire 6p lights and 2 spiderfire lights and they are identicle. we'll see how they hold up to daily use, i carry my 6p every day for work. the solarforce/spiderfire lights are way cheaper $ than my surefires.