The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2008, 10:14 AM   #1
The Gunny

My Son needs a trap gun

I have become addicted to Skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc... I have started taking my son who is 11 (12 in Feb). He is a slightly small for his age at least what I see in his peer group. We rent a Beretta semi-auto 20ga 26" from the lodge and he does really well on trap and wobble (really well for an 11 year old). He get fatigued after a couple of rounds. I am looking at a couple different shotguns to buy him as a Christmas gift. I want to get him something he can handle and still get him a quality weapon. Right now I am torn between a Remington 11-87 sportsman youth and a Browning Silver Micro. They both seem to try and accommodate a smaller shooter, but the Remington barrel is only 21" and thought it will cut down on weight, I think it will be too short for trap. The browning looks and sounds great but is all silver and I am worried about the possible glare problems.

If anyone knows anything about either of these or another shotgun I should be looking at please chime in and let me know what you're thinking. Thanks in advance for all the support.
Old October 27, 2008, 11:44 AM   #2
BigJimP

Upper body strength develops pretty quickly in young kids - so I would try and stay with a 26" barrel if you can - so its something he can shoot for 4 or 5 years. Maybe lighten the load up to 3/4 oz - see if that helps him a little - if the gun will cycle them ( but most semi-autos will cycle loads as long as they're around 1150 - 1200 fps.)
Old October 27, 2008, 12:31 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
Upper body strength develops pretty quickly in young kids - so I would try and stay with a 26" barrel if you can - so its something he can shoot for 4 or 5 years.
+1 (BigJimP must be one smart guy 'cause I keep finding myself agreeing with him )

Hi Gunny,
Looks like that Skeeticitis is rapidly spreading...
Twelve-year olds are sensitive to peer pressure and want to fit in, IMHO he'd be happier with a target gun that looks like a target gun, not a field gun making do for clay. I know you're considering the Remington and Browning, but have you looked at the Beretta youth target gun? It's in the same price range, offers the recoil reduction inherent in gas guns and comes with an adjustable (comb and LOP) youth stock.
Don't think that just because he's small that you need to get him a 20-ga. With a versatile 12-ga he can shoot anything from light powder-puffs (small-ga equivalent loads) to big bad boomers.

Beretta 3901 Target RL 12GA, 26", IC Item Number J390Y16

Last edited by zippy13; October 27, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old October 27, 2008, 01:44 PM   #4
BigJimP

We probably agree too much Zippy .... one of us is probably nuts...

I went thru this with my grandkids - and honestly what I did was buy a Benelli Super Sport 20ga / and one in 12ga as training guns. The 20ga is a little lighter / has a shorter length of pull. They're my guns - and all the kids use them as they are growing into things - and 2 of my granddaughters are 12/13 and they both handle the 20ga Benelli pretty well / with one of them moving up to the 12ga this last summer. But every kid is really different / upper body strength, arm length, etc. But the synthetic stocks, stainless receiver look - is a pretty cool looking gun too - and the kids all gravitate to it partly because of that as well.

Zippy is right about a good 12ga being a better long term gun / kids grow so fast .... I've kind of made it my thing in the family to give each of the grandkids a shotgun on their 16th birthday - if they have some interest in the sport. I've kept it pretty simple - going with a Browning BPS 12ga 28" barrel. Not too fancy - but something they can be proud of - and shoot for a long time. In hind sight, I would probably say buy a gun for yourself as a training gun / consider getting him something in a couple more years that would be more suitable for him long term.
Old October 30, 2008, 03:22 AM   #5
olddrum1

Might take a look at the BT-99 micro.
Old November 1, 2008, 11:38 AM   #6
ammo.crafter

trap

My daughter (5' 5" 98LBS) has been shooting Ruger Red label 28-inch 12ga o/u for 10 years with deadly accuracy.

FIT FIT FIT is a major key with kids as with any shooter.

Started her with a single shot 12ga and moved quickly to an Ithica ultra light pump (she's left-handed) and then onto the Ruger.

I reload, so working up from light loads to 1 1/8th oz was fairly easy after she developed the feel, swing and hand-eye coordination.

Hope it helps.