The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2002, 02:49 PM   #1
Greg Bell

I just ordered a 550b + Dies--now what?

Guys,

I just ordered my 550b and dies from Dillion$. I'm setting it up so my 400 round a week 357 Sig habit can become a 800 round habit .
What other goodies do I need? I have a bullet pulling hammer and a primer pocket tool (and a caliper). That is it. I guess I should get a vibratory case cleaner and what not. What do you fellows reccomend?

GHB
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old September 8, 2002, 02:59 PM   #2
1goodshot

A good scale and a couple of reloading books would be a good start.Get a good solid bench to mount it on,and give yourself some room to grow. you will soon have lots of brass,powder,bullets and other things that need a home.
Old September 8, 2002, 04:32 PM   #3
tawakoni

What 1goodshot said. You MUST have a scale. Digital is nice, balance beam is just fine (I've been using the same one for 40 years). And after you have read the books, read them again. Don't hesitate to call Dillon if you have problems and come here for answers to any questions you may have.

Best

tawakoni

P.S. Search the TFL Archives for getting started in reloading. Lots of good info there.
Old September 8, 2002, 06:29 PM   #4
Lmccrock

Safety glasses. Just in case a primer does not go where it is supposed to, and gets crushed.

Lee

Old September 10, 2002, 06:21 AM   #5
Dogjaw

Don't forget the tumbler to polish brass. I have an Lyman. They all work fine. Use ground walnut instead of corn cob. It works a lot better. I have a 550B. Take your time and read the Dillon manual step by step. It's a good press. One thing to do is check the powder charge several times after each adjustment to make sure it's consistant and correct. I always start a little heavy and turn the cap screw in to make sure the threads are back seated. Your dealing with so little powder, the clearance in the threads will vary the powder by .1 grain.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old September 10, 2002, 09:32 AM   #6
Mikul

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but won't he need a trimmer for the bottle necked .357 Sig cartridge? I have always been under the impression that all bottle necked cartridges need to be trimmer regardless of whether they're rifle or pistol.