The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 2015, 01:10 PM   #1
ligonierbill

Manhattan Arms

Here's what I know: Manhattan Arms sold, but did not make, firearms. Various manufacturers made guns for them. I believe that Hunter Arms made their box lock "Fulton" for them marked "Manhattan Arms" on the side plate. Can anyone confirm or refute that?
Old March 5, 2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Ed K

Manhattan firearms manufactured firearms in Newark N.J. Factory burnt down in 1910 I believe 34 women were killed in fire that was the end of Manhattan Firearms
I have a 31 cal Colt clone they were licensed to mfg. Mine made in 1859 sn 166 out of 1100 made excelent firearm in very fine condition
Old March 10, 2015, 06:26 PM   #3
RJay

Well, don't know, the history of the early arms makers and dealers is muddy and foggy at best. However I believe Manhattan Firearms is credited in making 175.000 hand guns in their factory. The confusion may be in the fact that one of their " Trade " names they used was Western, Hunter arms later used the same " Trade name ". To the best of my knowledge. Hunter Arms never used Manhattan to make any of their arms. I believe the Manhattan Arms Co. ( name changed to American Standard by that time ) closed its doors in 1873, John Hunter Sr. didn't have his boots on the ground until 1888 or there about.

Last edited by RJay; March 10, 2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old March 11, 2015, 07:12 AM   #4
ligonierbill

My inquiry was related to a GB posting for a "L C Smith Manhattan Arms" shotgun. From what little I could find, it was not an "Elsie", but a Fulton box lock made by Hunter Arms. I have my Dad's old Fulton, which is why I was interested. I believe the Manhattan Arms brand extended to or was revived in the 20th century. It's that specific shotgun that drew my interest, however.
Old March 11, 2015, 08:01 PM   #5
RJay

There is a lot of confusion in reference to the early makers, retailers and importers. From what I've been able to reference is the name Manhattan was used by a retailer/importer up until the late 1930's, early 1940's. The Trade names was used on both imported and domestic shotguns, both single and double barrel. Hunter is one of the names listed as furnishing shotguns under the Trade Name Manhattan, But I do not believe it had anything to do with the original Manhattan Firearms Co. They were well gone by the early 1900's.