The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2018, 09:20 AM   #26
marine6680

Regularly would be the same malfunction that happens more than once every 1000rds or so.

You should manage several thousand rounds between malfunctions in a modern pistol of good make.

You have had the same problem 3 times now is around 500rds... That's definitely an issue.

Likely a ln extractor issue... Spring or the extractor itself.

A little lube shouldn't affect the extractor.

Could possibly be a timing issue, but those are usually associated with poor accuracy as well.
Old February 21, 2018, 09:29 AM   #27
TunnelRat

I think asking it to go back is completely reasonable. In the past we’ve had some folks find SIG CS not overly willing to pay for labels and the whatnot. Don’t be afraid to ask for a supervisor if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 21, 2018, 09:49 AM   #28
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I think asking it to go back is completely reasonable. In the past we’ve had some folks find SIG CS not overly willing to pay for labels and the whatnot. Don’t be afraid to ask for a supervisor if you have to.

Yup if the rep won't do it ask for a supervisor. Customers should not have to pay for shipping back to Sig for warranty work.
Old February 21, 2018, 02:09 PM   #29
gwpercle

Not cleaning semi auto's does not enhance reliability.
They are much more reliable clean and properly lubricated.
A dirty truck will run just fine....but guns don't work like that.
Gary
Old February 21, 2018, 03:41 PM   #30
Ignition Override

TunnelRat/WVsig: The phone waiting time right now was < 10 min. The very efficient tech. rep. said that the shipping label will be mailed out today or tomorrow.

Even though some excellent advice (pm or on forum) was to get the tools to remove the pin and extractor, and this seems reasonable, I don't want to take the chance of voiding the warranty, just to be cautious.
Old February 21, 2018, 03:43 PM   #31
T. O'Heir

"...The extractor was first cleaned tonight..." That the first bath you've given it? You clean it before you fired it?
If you're not reloading you need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo that pistol both shoots best and cycles the action reliably. The price of the ammo means nothing.
Old February 21, 2018, 04:34 PM   #32
TunnelRat

The pistol should cycle more reliably than has been seen. This is brass cased American ammo. I have pistols with over 10k rounds where I can count the FTEs on one hand and I can tell you exactly why they happened. This is with over a dozen types of ammo of various bullet weights and power factors. Brass, aluminum, and steel.

SIG advertises themselves as a cut above. The pistol came with a warranty and as the original owner you’re entitled to a working firearm. You did exactly what I wish more people would do. Hold manufacturers accountable.

Old February 21, 2018, 06:30 PM   #33
Ignition Override

T. O'Heir: I had looked over the gun after the purchase, and it was oily, but had not cleaned any extractor until that first FTE.
And even after the next two cleanings of the extractor claw (I have no tools for slide disassembly, and it can affect the US warranty) it was no help.

I have plenty of faith in Sig products, owned a 232 (.380) for a while, and in January bought a used (.40) DA/SA P229 with No issues in all 450-500 rds.
Speaking today with the Sig Rep., I told him that I hoped that they would be able to fit it into their workload, and appreciate any tweaking they can do, use as much ammo as their budget/workload/judgement allows or requires.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 21, 2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old February 21, 2018, 07:09 PM   #34
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
T. O'Heir: I had looked over the gun after the purchase, and it was oily, but had not cleaned any extractor until that first FTE.
And even after the next two cleanings of the extractor claw (I have no tools for slide disassembly, and it can affect the US warranty) it was no help.

I have plenty of faith in Sig products, owned a 232 (.380) for a while, and in January bought a used (.40) DA/SA P229 with No issues in all 450-500 rds.
Speaking today with the Sig Rep., I told him that I hoped that they would be able to fit it into their workload, and appreciate any tweaking they can do, use as much ammo as their budget/workload/judgement allows or requires.
You did the right thing.