The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 28, 2022, 09:08 AM   #1
John D

New Diamondback Sidekick .22 revolver

I felt this new revolver had a lot of things going for it: affordable, 9-shot cylinder, both .22 and .22 Mag cylinders. The best thing was....it was double-action. I have several single-action revolvers and I was looking forward to adding this pistol to my collection. I was looking forward to shooting it and I just took it out for a try after Thanksgiving.

The good: both cylinders operate as they should, it seems to hit point-of-aim, and it's comfortable to shoot.

The bad: the double-action trigger is AWFUL! Really, really heavy trigger and difficult to stay on target. I'm a pretty strong guy and I had difficulty; my daughter-in-law just didn't have enough strength to operate it in double-action. The other difficultly was ejecting the spent brass - maybe this will improve after cleaning.

I seldom regret a firearm purchase but, in this case, I wish I had tried this revolver before purchasing. I think I would have saved my money and bought a used S&W.

Last edited by John D; November 30, 2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old November 28, 2022, 10:00 AM   #2
Drm50

I had occasion to shoot one. This is one of the novelty grade guns now on market. The Hi-Standard Longhorn series, that what Diamondback is copy of, at least functioned well. I understand a lot of people don’t want to put out $500 or so for a S&W. I would send that piggy to market and maybe look for a used Charter Arms or even Taurus in 22lr model with adj sights.
Old November 28, 2022, 02:18 PM   #3
Pahoo

Not looking good !!!

Quote:
The bad: the double-action trigger is AWFUL! Really, really heavy trigger and difficult to stay on target.
You are talking about a Colt; right?? If so, then I'm surprised and disappointed.
Once passed on a set of blued and have regretted doing so. Guess I might have to wait for Kimber to come out with one. Sad ??? ...

Be Safe !!!
Old November 28, 2022, 02:37 PM   #4
Pahoo

Not looking good !!!

Duplicate !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 28, 2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old November 28, 2022, 02:52 PM   #5
mk70ss

https://diamondbackfirearms.com/

I think the OP is talking about this….
Old November 29, 2022, 10:27 PM   #6
The Happy kaboomer

That gun gets a lot mixed reviews......Personally I'd steer clear of it. As to cheap .22's I prefer Ruger Wranglers.
Old November 29, 2022, 10:56 PM   #7
44caliberkid

It’s the Diamondback Sidekick. On their website, read the disclaimer after the specs on the gun. Hilarious. I guess it violates some states Saturday Night Special laws, because they use metals with low melting points, zinc alloy.
Old November 30, 2022, 05:25 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

The Diamondback DB9 is on generation 4 and none work. So no. I'm not going to give that company any more of my money.

Even Taurus backed out of being their distributor after laying off a lot of their staff.

Not with a ten foot pole until you all prove me wrong.

But I put in my money with 5 DB9s. Nope.