The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2022, 03:57 PM   #26
XDforever

Do these Shadow Systems pistols use Glock mags? or are they something special?

Joe
Old November 23, 2022, 04:02 PM   #27
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228 View Post
My one issue with the optics cut they use is that you have to pull the optic to clean the extractor. Not a huge issue since for me that is a job at 3k-5k rounds so I just use that as an opportunity to swap the battery too, but it's one of those minor things that wouldn't sway me either way. I'm likely picking up a SIG 365 compact in the next couple of months, but my MR920 is my primary carry gun at the moment.

I’m with you on this. The Glock MOS allows you to remove the extractor even with an optic installed. I like this. I like to pull the extractor around every 1k rounds and clean in its channel. I think the maintenance schedule you quoted is more reasonable, in which case it’s less of an issue, but still. In defense of Shadow Systems I own optics capable pistols from other manufacturers, such as Walther, that are in the same boat. In those cases I end up going longer round counts like you mentioned.
Old November 23, 2022, 04:06 PM   #28
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDforever View Post
Do these Shadow Systems pistols use Glock mags? or are they something special?

Joe

They use Glock magazines, though they come with Magpul Glock magazines rather than OEM Glock magazines. In some marketing Shadow Systems says they prefer the Magpul magazines, but in owning both makers of magazines I think Glock OEM is better and that Shadow Systems’ decision is mainly a cost savings measure. On a pistol with a higher price tag than Glock (I also only received two magazines with Shadow Systems as opposed to 3 with a MOS Glock) that decision seems a bit cheap.
Old November 23, 2022, 04:14 PM   #29
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
Shadow Systems makes these a half mile from my office.
As much as I would like to support a "Made in Plano, Texas" company, paying $1000 for a Guccied up Glock ain't gonna happen.

I have shot the MR920 and it does absolutely nothing my factory Glocks can do at half the price. It's not a knock on Shadow Systems, because I have similar thoughts on boutique 1911's.

But they are very nice looking guns.

https://gun.deals/node/1137921 Shadow Systems MR920 Combat 9mm 15rd Optic Ready Threaded Barrel - $649.99 (use the Email For Price button to get this price)

So that’s $650 for a MR920 that is optics capable and with a threaded barrel. A MOS Glock is generally $620 and isn’t threaded. If you look around online it’s not too hard to find deals that put the MR920 within reach of OEM Glock prices. For what some people will perceive as additional features, I think the pricing isn’t unreasonable (and certainly there are much more expensive Gucci Glocks, and cheaper clones as MarkCO pointed out).

Now as I mentioned above, after owning one I went back to my stock Glocks, so I’m not saying that just because of that pricing a person should buy one. I’m trying to be fair in how I summarize the pistol. It would also be fair to point out that MSRP shows this pistol as much more expensive than what I posted. My point is if a person wanted to try one, but the price difference was too much then shopping around might make it more reasonable.
Old November 23, 2022, 05:22 PM   #30
mk70ss

As TunnelRat previously stated, this pistol was nowhere near $1000. Mine was $710 out the door, taxes and all.