The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 11, 2022, 12:30 PM   #1
mk70ss

Latest Acquisition….

Bought this yesterday. Shadow Systems MR920 9mm. Like a Glock, but they ditched the stuff I didn’t like in a Glock and added what it should have had in the first place.
Old November 11, 2022, 03:12 PM   #2
Sevens

I would think that if they were ditching Glock bits that are annoying, trigger dingus would be on that list.
Old November 11, 2022, 03:16 PM   #3
Rob228

I've got the MR920L, put a little over 6k rounds through it so far.

It says it right in the instruction manual but the tolerances are fairly tight, I think I had one or two failures to feed in the first 100 rounds but nothing after that (I'm okay with a break-in period).

Big fan of it.
Old November 17, 2022, 01:52 AM   #4
veprdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I would think that if they were ditching Glock bits that are annoying, trigger dingus would be on that list.
And the take-down system. That was novel in the 80's. Can we have a modern take-down like everyone else? Glock patent #51 or whatever please.
Old November 17, 2022, 08:19 AM   #5
Shadow9mm

Beautiful gun. Just expensive. Expect a small break in period. Enjoy!
Old November 17, 2022, 10:35 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Latest Acquisition….

I had one for a time. I eventually sold it and went back to my Gen 5 Glocks. The new Shadow Systems Foundation series seems like a good value.
Old November 19, 2022, 04:56 PM   #7
Rinspeed

I'm not a huge Glock fan but that is kinda sharp, congrats.
Old November 19, 2022, 09:03 PM   #8
Nathan

How do you like it?
Old November 19, 2022, 10:11 PM   #9
mk70ss

NATHAN, I love it. They got rid of all the things I disliked in a Glock, and kept all the good.
Old November 19, 2022, 11:21 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Jeepaholic
Old November 19, 2022, 11:57 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

It's not that difficult to run the numbers and prove that without the trigger safety, the Glock design is not drop safe.

That's not the only way to make that general mechanism drop safe, but it is a pretty good way--as is demonstrated by other companies who have followed Glock's lead. Sometimes after trying and failing with their own designs first.
Old November 21, 2022, 08:24 AM   #12
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss
NATHAN, I love it. They got rid of all the things I disliked in a Glock, and kept all the good.
Good to hear. Do you carry it or just shoot on occasion?
Old November 21, 2022, 10:00 AM   #13
mk70ss

Nathan, it is now my EDC gun.
Old November 21, 2022, 11:01 AM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post

Cold you elaborate?
Old November 21, 2022, 12:06 PM   #15
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Cold you elaborate?
I had same thought.

I spent a few minutes looking online and people mention they have a different grip angle for "flatter shooting" and they cost twice as much. It looks like taller sights than a normal Glock, a beaver tail pulled out of the wrong parts bin, and aerodynamic slide serrations.
Old November 21, 2022, 01:06 PM   #16
TunnelRat

While they are more expensive, you can find them for less than twice as much. Mine wasn't close to twice as much (especially the newer Foundation models).

I think the optic mounting solution Shadow Systems uses is fairly clever, assuming you have one with that optics system. There are three backstraps, each of which somewhat changes the "point" of the pistol. The grip texture is nice, I like the relief for the support hand thumb, etc. There are things about them I like. But in owning one and in being a person that had owned Glocks for multiple years at that point and shot them fairly extensively both at ranges and in courses, I can't say I think they radically changed the base Glock. There is pretty much no hump and the angle of the grip ends of differently as a result, so I could see someone liking that. I'm honestly curious what specifically about it might be seen to change things of Glocks from someone else's perspective, especially as the OP has mentioned that twice now.
Old November 21, 2022, 07:50 PM   #17
Nathan

Is it’s trigger lighter and crisper than a Glock? If so, isn’t it more dangerous to holster?

Those light trigger Glocks always made me uncomfortable. I’m glad you are enjoying!
Old November 21, 2022, 08:02 PM   #18
mk70ss

The Shadow Systems pistol has: a better grip angle than the Glock, a far better trigger, A beaver tail to eliminate “Glock bite”, a much more streamlined trigger guard, all steel night sights, better grip texture, and eliminated the hollow in the back strap of the grip.
Old November 21, 2022, 08:20 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Thank you for clarifying.

I do think for many the grip angle of the Shadow Systems may be more "normal", and at first I thought that too. What was interesting was over time I found I tended to end up with the pistol pointed high when drawing from concealment, whereas I didn't as much with my standard Glocks. I tried the backstrap that was supposed to more mimic a regular Glock, and that helped somewhat. I like the Nomad style of aftermarket frames a bit better. It has basically no hump, but the back of the angle is more vertical than the Shadow Systems. I find with the angle of the Glock the hump actually helps me.

The trigger on mine was never very good. Mine was actually notably heavier in pull weight than the stock Glocks I have had. When I had to send my MR920 back to the factory to have some issues resolved they replaced the connector and that made it better. The reset on the pistol did "feel" shorter than a stock Glock and I seemed to shoot it very well at speed, that I miss.

My hands have never been big enough to get bit by the slide on a Glock, though the Gen 4 and Gen 5 models do come with backstraps with and without beavertails from the factory. The trigger guard has more room, which is nice, as are the sights (though you can get Glocks from the factory with night sights). I did like the grip texture, though I found with time that the texture would collect dead skin (if that happens use a nylon brush and give the grip a once over). I know some people are bothered by the hollow at the back of the grip, it just never bothered me personally.

Enjoy your pistol!
Old November 22, 2022, 04:37 PM   #20
Rob228

Quote:
The trigger on mine was never very good. Mine was actually notably heavier in pull weight than the stock Glocks I have had. When I had to send my MR920 back to the factory to have some issues resolved they replaced the connector and that made it better. The reset on the pistol did "feel" shorter than a stock Glock and I seemed to shoot it very well at speed, that I miss.
I had the same issue, I put in a ghost 3.5 disconnector and its a much better trigger now. Not something I would have expected to have to do for the price, but that's really my only complain.

Quote:
Is it’s trigger lighter and crisper than a Glock? If so, isn’t it more dangerous to holster?
Only if your finger is on the trigger when you holster.
Old November 23, 2022, 04:42 AM   #21
Mosin44az

Handsome pistol mk70ss, glad you like it. Black with gold barrel is a good scheme.

I admit I have mixed feelings about my MR920, even though it has been 100 percent reliable and can shoot fast.

Like Tunnel Rat, I was disappointed with the trigger. Crunchy and stiff, not better than my stock Gen 4 and actually maybe worse than my Gen 5. Did take it to my gunsmith who improved it with polishing and putting in a Glock factory “minus” connector I got at Glockmeister. Still not as good as several other pistols I could name, including SIG P320, FN509, Masada, and especially Canik Rival. Maybe I should have a Ghost connector put in, friends like that.

But to pay maybe 200 extra bucks and get the trigger I got, disappointing. (Mine was 700 plus tax at Cabela’s, and that was for a “blemished” gun, even if I can’t find the “blemish”.) It could be the Glock design does not easily lend itself to really good trigger pulls.

The optics slide is an interesting, good design, because if you get the right red dot (they list what’s compatible in their manual and on their site) it fits without having to add a mounting plate, and thus the red dot sits lower, so you can cowitness with their supplied sights instead of fitting super tall sights. The Swampfox Liberty works well for this.

I like the grip texture and shape, feel that’s an improvement. I put the “1911” angled grip in. I like the slide’s look and the deep, angled serrations on it. Front night sight standard also. Also comes with a nice carry case and a mag well you can add if you want.

The MR is noticeably lighter than a Glock 19 as well. But again, this is mixed for me since it makes the gun feel less substantial. A matter of taste I guess.

And fundamentally, I shoot my stock Glocks just as well as the fancier Shadow. Don’t expect miracles for your extra $200.

Is the Shadow worth the extra money? Maybe if the optics cut design appeals to you. And I saw a YouTube video where the reviewer said he PREFERRED the MR 920 to the VASTLY more expensive ZEV (TWICE the price of the Shadow!), especially since his sample ZEV apparently had a crappy trigger! So maybe the MR920 is a good deal after all……
Old November 23, 2022, 08:45 AM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin44az View Post

Is the Shadow worth the extra money? Maybe if the optics cut design appeals to you. And I saw a YouTube video where the reviewer said he PREFERRED the MR 920 to the VASTLY more expensive ZEV (TWICE the price of the Shadow!), especially since his sample ZEV apparently had a crappy trigger! So maybe the MR920 is a good deal after all……
I think for a semi custom pistol it’s a fair price, assuming you shop around. I took my MR920 through a 2 day vehicle course with Kyle Lamb and we were shooting under cars on a dirt based range. The pistol was filthy but still functioned. Lamb mentioned he had seen a number of Zev pistols have functional issues in his courses.
Old November 23, 2022, 02:04 PM   #23
Rob228

My one issue with the optics cut they use is that you have to pull the optic to clean the extractor. Not a huge issue since for me that is a job at 3k-5k rounds so I just use that as an opportunity to swap the battery too, but it's one of those minor things that wouldn't sway me either way. I'm likely picking up a SIG 365 compact in the next couple of months, but my MR920 is my primary carry gun at the moment.
Old November 23, 2022, 02:18 PM   #24
MarkCO

With all the "Glockish" pistols on the market now (I counted 14 at last survey) there is something for everyone. From $250 to $1000, with all kinds of feature sets to try and separate from the pack, and Glock.

I've been happy with the time I have on a SS pistol, as well as a Stoeger STR-9. I really want to try a Bul at some point. My biggest complaint is 9mm only with them. I hope people keep buying them and they eventually offer them in a Large frame for the 10mm/45.
Old November 23, 2022, 03:00 PM   #25
dogtown tom

Shadow Systems makes these a half mile from my office.
As much as I would like to support a "Made in Plano, Texas" company, paying $1000 for a Guccied up Glock ain't gonna happen.

I have shot the MR920 and it does absolutely nothing my factory Glocks can do at half the price. It's not a knock on Shadow Systems, because I have similar thoughts on boutique 1911's.

But they are very nice looking guns.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE