The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 13, 2022, 11:10 AM   #51
taylorce1

IMR 4831 was my favorite powder for all bullet weights until H4831SC came out. I use that almost exclusively for the .270 Win now. Either H or IMR 4350 is hardly ever a wrong choice in an 06 sized case as well, it just may not be the fastest. I'd like to try some RL26 but that has been unobtainum for awhile now.

I should say I've found it but refused to pay the price asked.
Old November 13, 2022, 12:24 PM   #52
sako2

I'm fortunate to have 24lb's of it.
Old November 13, 2022, 12:26 PM   #53
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
IMR 4831 was my favorite powder for all bullet weights until H4831SC came out. I use that almost exclusively for the .270 Win now. Either H or IMR 4350 is hardly ever a wrong choice in an 06 sized case as well, it just may not be the fastest. I'd like to try some RL26 but that has been unobtainum for awhile now.

I should say I've found it but refused to pay the price asked.
I need to head back over to Defender Ammunition company again soon. I will keep these powders on my list in case they have them in stock.
Old November 13, 2022, 12:28 PM   #54
USAF Ret

I have H4350, H335, Varget and Benchmark. Couple pounds each.
Old November 13, 2022, 01:28 PM   #55
stagpanther

You should get some 6.5 staball--works well for both 6.5 creedmoor and the 270 win and is presently plentifully available. I know some people have not had good results with it--but the cartridges I did using it in 270 win performed extremely well.
Old November 13, 2022, 03:33 PM   #56
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
You should get some 6.5 staball--works well for both 6.5 creedmoor and the 270 win and is presently plentifully available. I know some people have not had good results with it--but the cartridges I did using it in 270 win performed extremely well.
Thanks. I have 17.5 lbs of it. (Approximately) It is great powder. One of my 6.5 x 284 will only shoot bugeyes with IMR 4350.
Old November 13, 2022, 03:34 PM   #57
GeauxTide

Quote:
What did you used to think? I am unclear to your reference.
I have had plenty of unbounded cup and core bullets smash shoulder blades and exit.
Reynolds357, I've had some spectacular failures with C&C from my 7mm Remington.
Old November 13, 2022, 07:53 PM   #58
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
Reynolds357, I've had some spectacular failures with C&C from my 7mm Remington.
I shot a 7 Rem mag for about 15 years. I only had one C and C failure. It was a 140 sierra game king that penetrated less than three inches. I am 100% sure it was a defect and not a true failure. Some of the Orig Nosler Ballistic tips blew up, but they killed so fast I just assumed that was what they were supposed to do until they changed the bullet to fix it.
Old November 13, 2022, 10:17 PM   #59
USAF Ret

Quote:
Added to the list.
Old November 15, 2022, 04:13 PM   #60
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
The 6.8 has peaked my interest, but like all new cartridges, need to see what direction it is going.
The 6.8 western has some real potential imho. Basically a revamped 270 to use heavier higher BC bullets. Im seriously considering getting one if a few of the major manufacturers start building rifles for it.
Old November 15, 2022, 05:12 PM   #61
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
The 6.8 western has some real potential imho. Basically a revamped 270 to use heavier higher BC bullets. Im seriously considering getting one if a few of the major manufacturers start building rifles for it.
I am waiting to see if it takes off. There are not a lot of offerings outside of Browning and Winchester rifles, that I see. Of course, one could just load up on brass.
Old November 16, 2022, 05:10 AM   #62
stagpanther

6.8 western IMO is really the 270 WSM improved. It gets it right for the increased weight and BC of newer .277 bullets. I have no doubts it will take off at the expense of 270 WSM and a few other 270 win + competitors. Super accurate plus great hunting cartridge almost guarantees it.
Old November 16, 2022, 08:43 AM   #63
USAF Ret

Quote:
6.8 western IMO is really the 270 WSM improved. It gets it right for the increased weight and BC of newer .277 bullets. I have no doubts it will take off at the expense of 270 WSM and a few other 270 win + competitors. Super accurate plus great hunting cartridge almost guarantees it.
Is it just getting drowned out by all the other "new shiny" cartridges out there?
Old November 16, 2022, 09:55 AM   #64
stagpanther

Quote:
Is it just getting drowned out by all the other "new shiny" cartridges out there?
It's only been out a year, takes time for the market to adapt, especially one where there already are similar alternatives. I've shot it as well as quite a few other .277 cartridges and I think it's a winner in a viable new performance niche.
Old November 16, 2022, 05:40 PM   #65
USAF Ret

Quote:
It's only been out a year, takes time for the market to adapt, especially one where there already are similar alternatives. I've shot it as well as quite a few other .277 cartridges and I think it's a winner in a viable new performance niche.
That is good to hear. Would love to catch someone at the range with one. At Ft Bragg range, more ARs, AKs and Glocks than anything.
Old November 16, 2022, 08:52 PM   #66
stagpanther

Quote:
ARs, AKs and Glocks than anything
That's pretty typical most anywhere.
Old November 17, 2022, 08:31 AM   #67
paknheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
I have a box of 140 grain Interlocks for reloading. Just heard that they are great for deer and expansion. Was not sure about penetration on an elk.

I used a 140 grain Sierra btsp game king bullet in my .270 Winchester back in November of 2020 to drop a red deer hind.

It was about a 145-150 yard shot but it was a complete pass through so no recovered bullet to exam. The damage that projectile did was impressive to say the least.

So if you have some of these Hornady bullets to use I don’t think you’ll have a problem with them getting the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 17, 2022, 09:03 AM   #68
paknheat

Quote:

I’ve had pretty good luck with the Staball powder in the .270 Winchester too. With either the 130 or 140 grain bullets and a CCI large rifle bench rest primer.

I did have to get it at max or near max loading before I had good groupings though.

YMMV though.

Overall I do like this powder & have stocked up on it.

Old November 18, 2022, 02:35 AM   #69
stagpanther

Quote:
I’ve had pretty good luck with the Staball powder in the .270 Winchester too. With either the 130 or 140 grain bullets and a CCI large rifle bench rest primer.

I did have to get it at max or near max loading before I had good groupings though.

YMMV though.

Overall I do like this powder & have stocked up on it.

I've tested it in cartridges down to below zero and the velocities held up very well compared to warm weather ones, just as advertised. I also think the "bore cleaning" formulation also is noticeable. I try to use "bore cleaning" formulations whenever I can and is the reason IMR enduron powders are my go-to whenever I can use them--but unfortunately the best ones have been unobtanium for quite some time.
Old November 18, 2022, 08:15 AM   #70
paknheat

Quote:
I've tested it in cartridges down to below zero and the velocities held up very well compared to warm weather ones, just as advertised. I also think the "bore cleaning" formulation also is noticeable. I try to use "bore cleaning" formulations whenever I can and is the reason IMR enduron powders are my go-to whenever I can use them--but unfortunately the best ones have been unobtanium for quite some time.

I read something a while back that IMR was going to discontinue the Enduron line of powders due to not being able to get some of the ingredients needed to produce it.

Old November 18, 2022, 08:35 AM   #71
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by paknheat View Post
I read something a while back that IMR was going to discontinue the Enduron line of powders due to not being able to get some of the ingredients needed to produce it.

I read they already had, but it's due to military demand being so high that they can't meet both military and civilian demand.
Old November 18, 2022, 09:40 AM   #72
sako2

Hodgdon did drop the line of enduron powders. I think they will drop all IMR powders because they bought Western powders out.
Old November 18, 2022, 11:28 AM   #73
stagpanther

I still have quite a bit of a few of the enduron powders--except for the excellent rifle powders like 7977 which I found to be great. Net rumors are all over the place--including the factory in Canada burned down.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 18, 2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old November 18, 2022, 02:30 PM   #74
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako2 View Post
Hodgdon did drop the line of enduron powders. I think they will drop all IMR powders because they bought Western powders out.
IMR and western seem to hit different niches.
Old November 18, 2022, 06:28 PM   #75
USAF Ret

Just bought a Ruger No. 1 in 270. All the talk has me sold as my go to cartridge. all input much appreciated.