The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 13, 2022, 05:08 PM   #1
Classic12

Ithaca 37

Last may I bought this nickel Ithaca model 37 Featherlight DSPS (Deer Slayer Police Special) from a private seller for $ 600. Built in 1981, almost new, shiny and pretty and a lot of fun to shoot

It has the somewhat bizarre Raybar front sight

Old April 13, 2022, 05:09 PM   #2
Classic12

Around the same period I saw a parkerized model 37 Featherlight made in 1976 for sale at the LGS, which was double the price. Six months later it was still there, I had a few late night drinks with the owner of the LGS and we struck a deal at $ 1000. Not cheap but those model 37 are as rare as hen’s teeth here in Switzerland.

I like having a pair of those

Old April 15, 2022, 08:49 PM   #3
bobn

it is interesting how much you extra had to pay for an ithica versus what i had to give for a mint 1911 swiss 7.5 rifle ($750).
...approx $500 too much on both sides of the pond. oh well, we got what we wanted. bob
Old April 18, 2022, 11:57 AM   #4
McShooty

The proud wood on the stock wrist-receiver connection is just plain disgusting.
Old April 18, 2022, 01:36 PM   #5
stinkeypete

The proud wood is what the factory does so the stock can be refinished several times. That’s from when folks expected a shotgun to last 100 years. The wrist connection may be remedied by loosening the butt stock, repositioning, and tightening the square head bolt back up. The wrist isn’t “proud”, it’s slightly misaligned.

You will need 7/16 inch 12 point socket on a 25 cm or so extension for your socket wrench.

That’s real American walnut, but I agree the fitting is off compared to my 1946 M37 ultralight.

What is sad to me is that the roll engraving is omitted, as is the lovely bluing the old field guns have.

These are not my style of shotgun. My family grew up not far from the NY plant and the Northern parts of Pennsylvania still has many an old Ithaca. To see someone in Europe that thinks they are special is a real treat.
Old April 18, 2022, 03:14 PM   #6
Virginian

Remington turned out a cheap Express with bad wood to metal fit and got raked over the coals for it. For Ithaca, we get palliatives. Typical.
Old April 18, 2022, 11:32 PM   #7
stinkeypete

Remington turned out bad wood to metal fit, ugly metal finish and stamped parts that did not run smooth.

They also turned out beautiful Wingmasters that anyone would be proud to own a fine example of and which the used market appreciates a great deal.

But we are talking about a couple of Ithacas here. If you don't like em, well... sorry you're in a place where you feel the need to go around being sour. Life is good. Get out in the sunshine.
Old April 28, 2022, 10:38 AM   #8
deadcoyote

My dad was a cop in the 70’s and 80’s. His era are obsessed with the Ithaca 37. It is an interesting generational gap. When I started in 98, the Ithaca’s were all out of service in my area. Over time I found while the older guys loved them a lot of guy who came on late in their service life, like 89-94, didn’t like them and preferred 870’s. I imagine they all did the job. When I was a rookie I was given the one lonely Winchester 1300 defender because no one wanted it. It was a perfectly serviceable shotgun.