The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 18, 2022, 07:03 AM   #26
darkgael

If you have not checked out any of the many videos about the “mad minute”, you might enjoy them.
Old January 18, 2022, 07:22 AM   #27
highpower3006

I have owned several No4Mk1's over the years and currently have an original condition 1943 vintage BSA made No4 that I got a few years back for $325. At the time I felt I was paying all the money for it, but I liked the fact that it hadn't been overhauled and the bore was in near perfect condition.

The very first centerfire rifle I ever bought was a No4Mk1 that I got sometime in the mid/late 60's. It was in like new condition and I believe I paid something like $25 for it. Of course the first thing I did was remove all the extra stuff from it that I didn't need for hunting deer. I later sold it and put the money towards a Winchester Model 70.

The .303 round is no slouch and it would drop a deer like it was hit with a hammer if I did my job and placed my shot properly.

I don't see a FTR stamp on it so I am going to go out on a limb and say that it was made at Fazakerly. From the condition it certainly has seen it's share of use over the years, but I personally like the been there-done that look. British military arms have a rich history due to their world-wide empire and conflicts on many continents spanning hundreds of years.

Now that you have WWII covered with your No4, you should be on the lookout for a No1 to represent WWI. Then of course, you should get a Martini-Henry for the pre WWI colonial period as well as a Snider.

Yes indeed, the rabbit hole is deep and expensive. I have a rather modest little collection of British rifles and am always looking for the next acquision.
Old January 18, 2022, 12:48 PM   #28
jaytex1969

Quote:
the rabbit hole is deep and expensive...
TRUTH!

Prior to this, my only Enfield has been an Ishapore 2A in 7.62.

I have a number of Mosins and Mausers and have been skirting the Enfields to avoid stocking another caliber, haha.

Thanks for the info and the great photo. That's a lovely FAL hiding back there.

Quote:
Figure early 1940's for the year of your make.
That's what I'd guess, also, based on no facts whatsoever...

I'm hoping there's a serial number chart out there somewhere so I can pin down the production year.

Jay
Old January 18, 2022, 09:28 PM   #29
Jim567

In 1972 that rifle could have been purchased out of a 55 gal drum in the local department store for 30.00 ������
In 1988 I purchased Irish Contract like new Lee Enfields for 200.00

Wow.
Old January 29, 2022, 03:47 PM   #30
LawrenceN

Taking it apart for a thorough cleaning is a good idea but I bet it's been done. You may note the sling swivel on the front barrel band should be on the mid stock swivel. Also, the screw heads for the bands should be on the left side of the rifle, so this has for sure been disassembled at some point. The fact that it's matching numbers is a big plus. Also, the grooved upper hand guard is a mildly more desirable feature. You can pick up the adjustable rear sight assemblies for these if you want a more accurate and finer rear sight. The stamps on the muzzle end of the barrel were put there by the importer. My brother recently sold a POF No.4 that had been fully FTR'd to "as new" mechanically. He got $1400. (Cdn) up here for it. Unmolested Lee Enfields are highly collectible in the right market. If it had been a Long Branch No.4 he could have added another 3-4 hundred to the price.