The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 6, 2022, 06:21 PM   #1
wachtelhund1

Winchester Low Wall, Built By J. Dewey, NY

Just read a post on Winchester Low Wall parts and it got me thinking. In 1965, I was 15 and bought a Winchester Low Wall rifle in .218 Bee caliber. The barrel was stamped, J. Dewey, NY. I think it was re-barrel, not sure, but it was a great little rifle. The owner collected vintage muzzle loaders and had passed. His wife was selling every thing. I bought the Low Wall for $65.00, it came with a mounted Lyman 2 1/2 power scope, a box of reloading supply's; containing one and 1/2 boxes of factory ammo (50 round boxes), a Lyman 310 hand loader with dies, 800 to 1,000 primers, 600 pieces of fired brass, several hundred JSP bullets and a one pound can of 4227 powder.
I spent a lot of time helping out in a local gun shop. The owner gave me a Lyman reloading manual with 218 Bee data, which I have to this day with my load data. Also a Lyman 55 powder measure that I still use. I replace the Lyman scope with a Lyman 6X scope. I learned to reload with that rifle. I lived in Connecticut at the time and back then we had many farms. Those farms were loaded with woodchucks and the farmers were happy to have them shot. I shot hundreds of woodchucks with that Low Wall.
I went into the service at 18 and several years later I returned home. Like all young servicemen I needed money and sold that rifle for $400.00. A lot of money at the time, but I sure wish I still had that gun today!
Old January 6, 2022, 06:38 PM   #2
Scorch

I've got a Low Wall in 218 Bee. It was kind of a "thing" back in the 60s, give the old gal a little longer legs so to speak. Mine wears a Bausch & Lomb 4-8 Diavar with external adjustments. Cool little varmint rifle!
Old January 7, 2022, 07:12 AM   #3
eastbank

i had a martini redone in 218 mashburn and like you killed hundreds of varmints after getting help form a older shooter-reloader to find dies-cases. but left it go to get into another project.