The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 27, 2021, 08:10 AM   #1
JJ45

Holsters, does color matter?

Probably not for IWB? Like most of us with a box or drawer full of holsters, never gave it much thought.

For OWB such as a pancake what is your color...why? I hate to use the word tacticalbut;

Do you consider the color of a holster one aspect of concealment?
Old May 27, 2021, 08:27 AM   #2
CP93

I generally don't open carry, but if I did I might go with something dressy (snakeskin, stingray, shark, whatever).

For IWB I prefer to have the clips or straps match the belt color, to camouflage them a bit.

YMMV.
Old May 27, 2021, 08:53 AM   #3
JustJake

"Tactical Black."

It's what the Pros choose.

Old May 27, 2021, 08:56 AM   #4
Skippy

Nor do I open carry, but black is probably less noticeable while wearing dark pants. I also agree that for IWB carry, I want the straps/clip to match the belt color, but then again, usually one wears an untucked shirt over the grip.

Even if the clips match the belt color the handgun grip would be a lot more noticeable than the color of the clips without a shirt covering everything.

Last edited by Skippy; May 27, 2021 at 09:02 AM.
Old May 27, 2021, 09:38 AM   #5
ballardw

But my draw is ever so much faster from hot pink leather!!
Old May 27, 2021, 10:08 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

OWB is not "open carry" unless you choose not to wear a cover garment.

My holsters are all black, whether IWB or OWB. The reason is that all me belts are black, so black holsters (and black clips or loops, for the IWB holsters) match the belts.
Jeepaholic
Old May 27, 2021, 11:14 AM   #7
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
OWB is not "open carry" unless you choose not to wear a cover garment.

My holsters are all black, whether IWB or OWB. The reason is that all me belts are black, so black holsters (and black clips or loops, for the IWB holsters) match the belts.
The OP said OWB not open carry although open carry is OWB if the weapon is belt mounted.

IMO it doesn't matter the color if the pistol is well hidden. My problem, which is irresponsible if not inevitable, is to forget I have it on. If my shirt rides up, etc. and exposes the weapon is the only way it will be seen other than a possible slight print, depending on the shirt. In this case probably the least contrasting colors are probably best.
Old May 27, 2021, 02:33 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45
The OP said OWB not open carry although open carry is OWB if the weapon is belt mounted.
Correct -- but two responses prior to mine said "open carry," even though the question was not about open carry.
Jeepaholic
Old May 27, 2021, 02:45 PM   #9
Double K

Holster should match shoe and belt color, if your and adult and not aware that already it probably doesn't matter!
Buy the holster thats on sale...black, brown or camo doesn't matter as far as concealment. The only people likely to see it are friends and other people at your range.
If that sounds harsh like it or not people treat/judge one another by first impressions/what they see, then by your interaction with them,1-2.
Why start from a deficit?
Old May 27, 2021, 05:04 PM   #10
Ricklin

Black works for me

Me belts, me braces, me shoes. Basic black, because black goes with everything.
I like to dress, real men don't accessorize.
Old May 27, 2021, 06:43 PM   #11
kenny53

I like the distressed leather look. If I can't find that I buy what ever fits the gun.
Old May 27, 2021, 09:54 PM   #12
5whiskey

I tend to wear duck or khaki pants, a brown belt, and brown shoes. So brown holsters for me on most occasions. I do have black IWB holsters, and some black owb holsters that I either carry when in uniform (law enforcement) when otw to work, or I range carry with. I do often carry OWB with a cover garment, and I do believe color matching helps ever so slightly in maintaining cover if your shirt slips up on accident.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 28, 2021, 12:52 AM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

I went with black initially. It worked ok, but scuffs and wear were easily visible with the lighter leather exposed against the black finish.

The one I have now is more of a reddish brown, and it seems to show wear a little less.

Of course, it's not like I'm showing my holster off, so even that reason to pick a holster color is of questionable value.
Old May 28, 2021, 09:34 AM   #14
Drm50

I have always bought holsters that are natural color. Two reasons, 1st is thrashing around in the woods, dyed leather gets scratched and hard to make it look good. Second dyed leather in my experience doesn’t hold up as well as natural. Neets foot oil treatment every year or so is all that’s needed with natural.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:08 PM   #15
Shadow9mm

If its leather, I prefer brown. But that is just my personal preference. IMHO it does look less tactical than black, but that is very subjective.
Old May 28, 2021, 07:15 PM   #16
Siggy-06

I also like brown/tanned for my leather holsters. Black for kydex, though I’ve seen a few with the carbon fiber look, kinda snazzy.
Old May 29, 2021, 07:25 PM   #17
Cosmodragoon

I try to match my belt. Black is easy. Brown can be a bit more challenging. Cordovan looks nice but is a whole other ballgame.

Coincidentally, I've had a very nice pair of brown leather shoes new in box for over a decade. Since switching to the Kore Essentials gun belt in black, it's all I wear. I even pair black with khaki but I feel like I'm old enough to defy fashion now. =P
Old May 29, 2021, 10:24 PM   #18
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post

Do you consider the color of a holster one aspect of concealment?
Bottom line:
The holster should not detract from concealment.

(Nor should the gun, ie.; a 14" chrome barrel probably isn't a good weapon if concealed carry is the goal)

And where ballardw's hot pink holster (above) blends in with that hot pink ensemble, a black Kydex probably would stand out in his case.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old May 29, 2021, 10:43 PM   #19
Kevin Rohrer

I match the holster color to my belt color. Nothing else matters.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old May 31, 2021, 12:19 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

I don't wear a gun as a fashion statement or color coordinated accessory.

The exception to this is when I am re-creating a specific historical uniform. for example a desert Khaki canvas Webley holster needs the desert yellow web belt, not a green or white one...

In my personal civilian wear, I don't match holster to shoes or belt, on purpose, nor do I give a snit about what other people think or that precious "first impression" so many think is important. I'm an old guy, my days of trying to impress anyone are long gone.

My shoes are black or brown work boots, mostly, I generally do not wear a trouser belt, and I don't care if my gunbelt or shoulder rig doesn't match my clothes. My holsters are mostly all either black or brown, I don't care about that they look like (with the noted exception of historical accuracy) what I care about it that they work, and do the job I want done. What other people might think about the way they look isn't on my list of things that matter now, and really never was.
Old May 31, 2021, 07:10 PM   #21
Moonglum

I never open carry and I never carry IWB.

I carry in a black Kramer Scabbard holster on a black belt under a camping shirt. It's been my experience that even with lighter colored pants the black seems to just fade away should my handgun become accidentally exposed.
Old June 1, 2021, 08:37 PM   #22
JBB

I have a Simply Rugged pancake that looks great with the Altamont grips on my 686+. The holster is a color they call ox blood.
Old June 1, 2021, 09:39 PM   #23
peacefulgary

I prefer it to be dark. But I don't really care if it's black, brown, olive, navy, gray.
Old June 6, 2021, 12:36 PM   #24
10-96

I prefer black or natural tanned color- leather of course. I won't really consider all the other colors because I get confused over the whole not wearing white after Labor Day and all those other fashion rules. About the only fashion rule I can remember is- Felt hat after 1st freeze, and Straw hat after the first mesquite leaves appear.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 7, 2021, 10:09 AM   #25
gwpercle

I've always preferred brown / natural color leather .
I do have 3 black holster for formal wear and a dark ox blood 45 acp holster that matches a belt and shoes for Sunday Go-to-Meeting .
But for everyday use ... I like brown natural leather ... belt , holster and boots .

Gary