The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2016, 09:38 AM   #1
T_PRO_Z

mossberg 500 milestone no.2

i was out at the range over the weekend and it was shotgun day for the family. I took a benelli nova, Remington 1100, and a Mossberg 500. ended up only shooting the Mossberg 500. I own several 500 and 590 model shotguns and I have been counting the rounds I have put through this particular mossy 500, and it is up to 10,025. I have shot 500 slugs, 300 0-0 buck, 1000 #6 high brass, 200 #4 buck, and 8,025 bird and dove and skeet loads. the shotgun has never failed in the 5 years that I have owned it ( besides maybe a short stroke or two while shooting skeet). the only thing I can tell is it has gotten incredibly smooth. it is an amazing gun for the price and I just wanted to brag on Mossberg.

I did drop it turkey hunting last year and broke the wood grips on the pump. Mossberg just sent me a whole new pump for free.

I forgot to mention, it is the Mossberg 500 field I picked up at the local Wal-Mart for 300 bucks.

feel free to share your experiences!
Old August 8, 2016, 11:49 AM   #2
ATN082268

The Mossberg 500 Shotgun brings back some good memories... The 500 was the first gun that I owned and used primarily when I was growing up. It had a wood stock and fore grip. It has been a ton of years ago but I used it mainly for skeet with a small dose of hunting. It was in storage for a long time and in remarkable shape when I recently inspected it. It shot just fine after being unearthed from storage. Everyone should have one
Old August 8, 2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Blindstitch

I have 2 and used a third for many years.

Learning to hunt I shot my first deer with a 20 gauge model. Also shot several grouse, geese, racoons and several pests. This was 20 years ago and it was a coast to coast rebranded model bought in the late 70's.

Then in 98 I bought a 12 gauge model to take even more geese and it did. And probably shot at least 20 pheasants with it.

Then a few years ago I bought a 500 bantam in 20 gauge for my wife to shoot clays with. She doesn't do it much but it still gets out. And of course I borrow it a bit even though the stock is really short.

If I had to I would buy another.
Old August 8, 2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Slopemeno

Bought mine in 1981. Left it loaded for about 25 years. Still works great.
Old August 8, 2016, 05:27 PM   #5
amd6547

I bought my Mossberg 500 (actually made for Western Auto) 20+ years ago.
I found it at a gun show, it was at the bottom of a pile of used security company riot guns, and cost $75. It was beat and used.
Over the years, it has been in different set ups and stocks, but it has always worked.
The one exception was two years ago, when it wasn't ejecting properly. I found the screw that holds the ejector had gotten loose...
A little loctite and a screwdriver, and it worked again.
Right now, I have it wearing a Hogue 12" lop stock and overmold forearm. It's loaded with #1 buck for bumps in the night.
Old August 8, 2016, 06:21 PM   #6
FITASC

12" is a little short for me. My shotguns all wear at LEAST 14-1/2" for a decent fit. Mine sits in the closet with barely 500 rounds through it. Now, my O/us and semis are a different story................
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 8, 2016, 08:03 PM   #7
amd6547

I wanted it to be as short as possible, for easy handling in my small house. Works great, and I have no problem putting buckshot on target out to 25yds.
I'm using low recoil FliteControl #1 buck, but I shoot full power loads at the range.
Old August 21, 2016, 06:15 PM   #8
FairWarning

There is a Mossberg 20" 500 in a softshell case within arm's reach under my bed.

A great uncle of mine always swore by his vintage (1930s?) Winchester Model 12, but of all his modern shotguns, he like his Mossberg 500 best. Always reliable and no complaints.
Old August 21, 2016, 07:01 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
I wanted it to be as short as possible, for easy handling in my small house.
If it doesn't fit, matters not what the LOP is
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 21, 2016, 09:45 PM   #10
Model12Win

What! A regular 500 did that??

I thought you had to have the M590A1 milspec tactical ultra heavy duty wonder gun to be able to do that kind of stuff!!

Old August 22, 2016, 03:16 AM   #11
Blindstitch

One of the best add on/upgrades I have done to the 500 is replace the plastic safety. Here's the one I used.
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...03CF018C25E562

The main reason for getting the one with the protrusion was for shooting pheasants in november/december when it's cold and snowing and I'm wearing gloves.
Old August 22, 2016, 04:14 PM   #12
Model12Win

Looks like a nice upgrade. I have heard of some premature failures on the plastic safety buttons on the 'bergs... just about the only part I'd change out on a 500 OTB.
Old August 22, 2016, 04:26 PM   #13
ammo.crafter

Mossy 500

It was my first 12ga as well.

You are right, the m ore you shoot it, the smoother it gets.

What a great bargain.