The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 27, 2016, 09:01 AM   #26
FITASC

Quote:
One more question though, are there any auto loaders that also shoot target shells well? Most autoloaders I have seen require stronger loads to cycle properly?
Any decent autoloader will; whether Beretta, Remington, Benelli or similar quality
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 27, 2016, 01:55 PM   #27
JWT

I shot a Remington 1100 for several years before getting a BT-99. Never had any issues with target loads with the gun. Kept if for backup and for guests to shoot.
Old August 27, 2016, 07:56 PM   #28
AKexpat

Quote:
I didn't know you can't shoot skeet with a Pump Gun.

Good thing they didn't have the internet when I was shooting skeet.

I had a 4 gun set of Rem 870 Skeet guns. 12, 20, 28, and 410. Had a Mec 600 Jr. for each but will confess I didn't load much for the 410, they are a pain in the butt to load for (if you need to load in volume).

That was in the Mid 70s, I use to do pretty good with the pumps. Even had one for Trap, Doubles in trap was no problem with a pump.

I don't shoot skeet/trap much any more, but if I did, I wouldn't have any heart ache using 870s.

I still have my 12 & 20 gages guns. Screw in chokes weren't around then and I ended up with several barrels for my 870s.

1100s were popular back then. But autos need a lot more cleaning then pumps. You shoot 400-600 shells a week that does become an issue.

870s don't care if you clean them or not.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Wow! That was a very good post. I wish I had access to the guns you did.

I worked at Roberts' Shooting Park (Elkhorn NE) in the late 60's. Skeet and trap. 5 ranges. Made $1.50/hr. and loved every minute of it. As an aside, the site is now a community college. My, have times changed!

I had an 870 12 ga. 26" IC VR that was very fine for skeet. It had a very high drop at the stock and was a pleasure to shoot as I could see the entire top of the barrel rib. Bought it as a kid with my Dad doing the particulars in 1969 for $110.

I was not into trap. To me it was boring because the gun moved very little. Skeet was very challenging, but it helped a bunch when it came to putting birds in the freezer. I once hit a rooster pheasant at 65 paces using my Dad' 16 ga. Winchester Model 12 full choke. It was a station 4 low house shot with a large lead.

As a skeet guy, you might understand.

Thank you for you post, sir.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon