The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 25, 2021, 05:01 PM   #1
veprdude

Whatever happened to "U.S.A. Magazine" company-the company notorious for terrible stamped mags?

I've run across several New Old Stock U.S.A. Magazine mags over the last few years. Looks like they either rebranded imported magazines or produced their own terrible quality magazines. Did they turn into Pro Mag?
Old February 26, 2021, 06:19 PM   #2
rc

Pro mag and USA mag ran their own companies back in the day. Pro Mag's were just good enough to survive. I have no idea what happened to USA mag but they may have just changed the name. There are no name mags that show up all the time at shows. If those old mags fit the mag well, lock in and feed you are lucky!
Old February 27, 2021, 01:00 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

I remember those! I had a Mini-14 years and years ago and had a USA mag for it. I think I eventually threw it away.

After the AWB expired, my days of buying aftermarket mags were pretty much over. I will buy MecGar mags for a few handguns, but generally speaking, these days I buy factory mags nearly exclusively.
Old February 27, 2021, 01:41 AM   #4
veprdude

+1 on Mec Gar. They are the OEM manufacturer for many companies.
Old February 27, 2021, 06:32 AM   #5
ojibweindian

I bought several Pro-Mags for an M&P 9 2.0 full size; they ran fine. I actually had bought them in the hope that they would choke (malfunction drill practice). So, in a way, for the intended purpose for which I bought them, they failed =D.
Old March 2, 2021, 02:37 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I remember USA mags. They were around in the early '90s. With any bit of luck, the free market allowed them to mercifully fold under.
Old March 14, 2021, 10:34 PM   #7
Reloadron

Still have a few 30 round from the early 90s that were for a SKS. You removed the original factory fixed 10 round magazine and these were removable. Some file and fitting needed. They did work though.

My only other experience with their stuff was when someone brought me a Colt Series 70 1911 that the magazine would not go into. Just about everything I saw from USA Magazine was junk and not even close to specification. Literally worthless junk with the exception of those SKS mags. They actually worked. When your stuff is junk word travels fast and as mentioned, they likely just folded under.

Ron
Old March 15, 2021, 10:39 AM   #8
seanc

Quote:
When your stuff is junk word travels fast and as mentioned, they likely just folded under.
And yet, somehow, ProMag keeps going and going...hate those guys!
Old March 20, 2021, 03:39 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'll take pro-mag over USA.

BTW, Ruger never "made" big (10, 20 and 30 rd) magazines for their Mini-14. They only made 5 rounders and subcontacted out the bigger magazines. I never learned who made them for Ruger.
Old March 20, 2021, 05:50 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

I don't know who made the mags for Ruger or if Ruger made them, but they did stock them. They listed Ruger part numbers for them in the owner's manuals.

It's just that while Bill Ruger Sr. was running the company he wouldn't allow them to be sold to anyone other than military or law enforcement.
Old March 20, 2021, 08:06 PM   #11
DMK

I still have two USA Mag "Franken Mags" for my 7.62x39 AR15 and I will never sell them. They are basically the bottom of an AK mag welded to the top of an AR15 mag.

They look hideous, but the darned things have worked flawlessly for years. In fact they are the only mags that have ever been 100% reliable in that gun. Go figure.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190714_135154034.jpg (333.0 KB, 253 views)