The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2021, 07:14 PM   #26
jetinteriorguy

I think a GyroJet would have been very ‘Bond-esk’.
Old February 24, 2021, 07:49 PM   #27
RetiredMajor

Yeah......um....no......Maybe a Kahr PM9.......
Old February 24, 2021, 08:26 PM   #28
Alan0354

No, not any miniature ones. Imagine in the movie, big James Bond pull out a pee shooter?!!! It just doesn't look right.
Old February 24, 2021, 08:38 PM   #29
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
.Maybe a Kahr PM9.......
Uh oh, Kahr is a dirrty word around these folks!

But it was good enough for Jodie Foster in "The Brave One" and Samuel Jackson in "Shaft"!
Old February 24, 2021, 08:53 PM   #30
Nanuk

The one spook I know carried a brace of Charter Arms bulldogs when "in country" They were cheap easily carried without a holster and could be easy dumped if need be.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:18 PM   #31
Metric

Dump the PPK? Next thing you know, someone will want to make 007 into a woman.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:37 PM   #32
Catchabullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Dump the PPK? Next thing you know, someone will want to make 007 into a woman.
..... You never know, they made ghost busters an abomination.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old February 27, 2021, 10:44 AM   #33
Willie Lowman

Quote:
No, not any miniature ones. Imagine in the movie, big James Bond pull out a pee shooter?!!! It just doesn't look right.
What do you call the Walther he carries? its a .32?
Old March 8, 2021, 03:36 PM   #34
Jack19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
heck, in Dr. No he used two different pistols in the same scene fighting the "dragon". LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iedK7wzunWo
Three, the PPK, a Hi-Power and a 1911.
Old March 20, 2021, 09:45 AM   #35
CajunBass

He even used a Smith and Wesson Model 29 in "Live and Let Die."

That was during the Dirty Harry craze for the 44. Everyone had to have one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 20, 2021, 10:55 AM   #36
FunGramps

That would be akin to Bond asking for his martinis "with whipped cream, not stirred."
Old March 20, 2021, 11:06 AM   #37
TXAZ

I don’t believe most intelligence officers carry weapons while engaged in tradecraft.
That’s just another question to have to address if stopped and questioned.

There are parties that do wet work where guns are essential, but that’s a very small percentage in most services.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 20, 2021, 05:09 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

the Bond of the books and the Bond of the last couple decades movies are rather different characters.

The original was a "double 0" agent which meant he was a secret agent with a "license to kill" which meant that if he had to kill or create mayhem in the course of his mission his bosses were ok with that, he would not be charged under British law, and if caught in a "friendly" country he could count on official (behind the scenes) pressure and negotiation from his govt to get him out.

the original Bond also got his butt kicked, often, and sometimes to the point of needing significant time in the hospital. He often won a fight, but sometimes, he didn't.

The movies have turned Bond into an action hero, perhaps even a parody of an action hero, with their constant need for bigger more exciting and incredible stunts. One after another after another.

Bond could, and would use a 1911A1, but he would never have one for his EDC issue weapon.
Old March 21, 2021, 07:01 AM   #39
CajunBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I think a GyroJet would have been very ‘Bond-esk’.
I meant to reply to this yesterday, but forgot it. The Gyrojet did make an appearance in the Bond film, You only live twice. It was used by the Japanese secret commando unit in both rifle and handgun form.

See story.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/thi...o-730306edb6e3
Old March 21, 2021, 07:32 AM   #40
JohnMoses

One of the best things about being a fictional character is that it does not matter the caliber or action type of your weapon. If the script says the 25 Berretta (or 22 AR7) takes out the helicopter, it will do the job.
Old March 21, 2021, 08:45 AM   #41
Forte S+W

People are always arguing over what the next gun Bond ought to carry, often applying real-life logic to support their opinion. But factually speaking, Bond is a fictional character in a fictional universe where such logic need not apply, and in most films Bond really doesn't do all that much shooting anyway because James Bond is a Spy, and Spies are supposed to be sneaky, ergo it makes no sense for Bond to carry a big gun.

The Walther PPK makes sense for Bond because it's small, easily concealed, and looks good on camera. If Bond ends up in a gunfight and needs something more, then he generally ends up picking up an enemies weapon then using that.

There's no valid reason to replace Bond's sidearm. Folks can argue all they want that the PPK is outdated and out of style, but in many ways, so is everything else in 007 films, and do we really want that to change? Does anyone here want to see the Bond films drop the iconic theme because Big Band Swing music is long out of style in favor of more modern music? Does anyone want to see Bond abandon his suit, tie, and dress shoes in favor of more modern attire? Does anyone want to see a Bond film which opens with him attending a mandatory sensitivity class after being reported by Money Penny for sexual misconduct because his casual flirting made her feel uncomfortable?

Honestly, if you modernize Bond's carry gun, then you have to modernize everything else as well, and nobody wants that.
Old March 21, 2021, 08:50 AM   #42
TunnelRat

James Bond Needs a 1911-A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
People are always arguing over what the next gun Bond ought to carry, often applying real-life logic to support their opinion. But factually speaking, Bond is a fictional character in a fictional universe where such logic need not apply, and in most films Bond really doesn't do all that much shooting anyway because James Bond is a Spy, and Spies are supposed to be sneaky, ergo it makes no sense for Bond to carry a big gun.

The Walther PPK makes sense for Bond because it's small, easily concealed, and looks good on camera. If Bond ends up in a gunfight and needs something more, then he generally ends up picking up an enemies weapon then using that.

There's no valid reason to replace Bond's sidearm. Folks can argue all they want that the PPK is outdated and out of style, but in many ways, so is everything else in 007 films, and do we really want that to change? Does anyone here want to see the Bond films drop the iconic theme because Big Band Swing music is long out of style in favor of more modern music? Does anyone want to see Bond abandon his suit, tie, and dress shoes in favor of more modern attire? Does anyone want to see a Bond film which opens with him attending a mandatory sensitivity class after being reported by Money Penny for sexual misconduct because his casual flirting made her feel uncomfortable?

Honestly, if you modernize Bond's carry gun, then you have to modernize everything else as well, and nobody wants that.

That’s called the slippery slope fallacy. We can see it’s a fallacy because they have changed Bond’s pistol to the P99 and then back again, and I don’t remember the sensitivity class in the movies (maybe it’s in the deleted scenes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2021, 09:36 AM   #43
Forte S+W

Do I really need to point out that such was a deliberately extreme and exaggerated example of the logical progression of the modernization of the Bond franchise? No, I don't, much like how when attempting to make a convincing counter-argument one really shouldn't resort to feigning ignorance of such obvious nuances for lack of anything better in order to support their stance.
Old March 21, 2021, 11:00 AM   #44
TunnelRat

James Bond Needs a 1911-A1

I don’t need to feign ignorance. What you wrote originally matches up with real exaggerated claims and forms of argument that I see pretty often online. It came across as completely serious to me, especially with that last line separated from the others that argues modernization of one thing would require modernization of all (which was why I mentioned the slippery slope fallacy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 21, 2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old March 22, 2021, 05:15 AM   #45
CajunBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMoses View Post
One of the best things about being a fictional character is that it does not matter the caliber or action type of your weapon. If the script says the 25 Berretta (or 22 AR7) takes out the helicopter, it will do the job.
Exactly. When I was a youngster, and saw "From Russia with Love" for the very first time, that take down "sniper rifle" was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. It didn't matter to me that it was just an AR-7 survival rifle in 22 LR, a fact that I didn't learn for years, it was just James Bond COOL. I think there was even a toy version of it on the market.

Oh. One other thing. The rifle didn't take down the helicopter. The passenger was tossing grenades at Bond. As the chopper hovered overhead, Bond hit the passenger, causing him to drop the grenade in his hand, onto the floor of the chopper. THAT took down the chopper.

I'm such a geek.

And Daniela Bianchi was the best "Bond Girl" ever. WOW.

Last edited by CajunBass; March 22, 2021 at 05:21 AM.
Old March 22, 2021, 07:42 AM   #46
SIGSHR

Yes, as I once heard William Shatner tell a fan at a convention
"Those are made up stories, folks."
The M1911 is too "American" for a British character. We would look askance at an American
character who carried a Webley. Or a Beretta.
Old March 23, 2021, 08:50 AM   #47
great scot

Unfortunately, Bond’s gun has to satisfy some criteria that have nothing to do with utility. It has to have cache, but still look deadly and not like the pistol version of a Gucci purse. It has to be relatively expensive, so that an “Everyman” isn’t carrying one. It also has to have a cool name that rolls off the tongue. Q explains the virtues of the PPK, but not the Glock 19MOS. And, it has to have a trigger for menacing hammer cocking scenes. No Glock cocking permitted. Sorry guys, these are the rules, even if they don’t make a lot of sense.
Old March 25, 2021, 12:50 PM   #48
gnystrom

How is he going to get twenty shots out of that gun without a mag change like he can from PPK?