The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2014, 03:14 PM   #1
BillyJack3

Light Twelve

Dad came over last night for my son's 12 year old birthday. He told a story around how on his 12th birthday, he had to choose between a Remington and Browning shotgun. He looked up to Uncle Leo who had a Browning and his choice was easy. Uncle Leo helped raise my dad while my Grandfather was off fighting in the South Pacific. Leo passed away this year at the ripe age of 100. Up until he turned 99, you would have thought he would have had another 100 years in him.

The choice was easy for Dad and he got a Light Twelve. So last night after telling the story, he presented my son with a 70's era Light Twelve of his own. It's a beautiful shotgun.

I know little about it but will learn quick. Can anyone share their experience with this shotgun or good places to gather information on it? Any must read links would be great. Thanks all. My boy is excited..... and a bit intimidated .
Old January 30, 2014, 04:23 PM   #2
shortwave

I know this has been a very Happy Birthday for your son. One he'll surely cherish the rest of his life.

You can see/download a manual for the shotgun here:

www.vintagegunleather.com/gun-manuals/index.html
Old January 31, 2014, 10:55 AM   #3
PetahW

"Browning added the Light Weight 12 gauge to the line in 1946.

Like the Sweet Sixteen, the Light Weight 12 is simply a lighter version of the Standard weight gun.

Basically, weight is removed from the barrel ring by drilling three holes in it; the rib on vent rib barrels is narrower; the receiver has additional milling; and the buttstock has more wood removed.

Early Lightweight 12s and Sweet Sixteens were finished with gold-plated triggers and safeties (until 1951), but there is no other visible feature that distinguishes them from their Standardweight cousins.
Beginning in 1948-1949, the left sides of the receivers for the Light Weight models were engraved with the name "Sweet Sixteen" or "Light Twelve.

After 1976, they were made in Japan by Miroku."

Old February 2, 2014, 07:05 AM   #4
mxsailor803

My dad started using a Browning A5 SweetSixteen when he was 9. He's 63 now. That shotgun was given to him by my grandfather that he found used. My dad used that same gun up to 2 years ago when I found him a early 70's A5 Light 12. Only reason (and I do mean only) for using the LW12 was easier to find ammo. Now my dad's 16 looks like its been through a war. Technically it has against deer lol. These guns have actually started a collection frenzy from my dad and I. 10 years ago we only had 2. Now we are up 8 and all are Belgiums. That is a shotgun that will last for multiple generations with a little bit of care.