The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2014, 08:36 PM   #1
HawkeyeNRAlifer

Where to find a 8 shot Maverick 12 gauge?

So, I saw an 8 shot Maverick pump gun last weekend at the gun show and it caught my fancy. It didn't sound too bad either, at $235 plus tax. But since I wasn't up on the current street price of the piece I thought I'd look around town and possible find one cheaper. I'll state up front that I have had a Mossy 500 6 shot with an 18.5 bbl for twenty years and seldom shoot it. Three O/U's sit gathering dust in the cabinet since the German Shorthair and I have gotten a little less spry with age. But as you guys know, you can't have too many guns. Or so I tell my unsympathetic wife.
Anyway, the local dealers don't sell them, most say they are either too low brow or just inferior to most other shotguns. The local Mills Fleet/Farm store just has the 6 shot as do the Walmarts(at least the ones that even bother to carry firearms). Bass Pro Shop said they have never carried the Maverick line. The Dicks Sports store here doesn't even sale guns and the closest Academy or Cabela's is 150-200 miles away. If I had known it was going to be this hard to find one I'd grabbed the one at the show.
To those who have bought one: Is it difficult to find in your neck of the woods? And is $235 about the going price?
I think this is a decent gun at the price, especially since it's not going to war and won't have 300 rounds through it while I own it. And I know that a few of the dealers I talked to were gun snobs, but a couple of others surprised me at their lack of interest in the Maverick line. Maybe the markup just isn't there?

Sorry for the ramble, but I really thought this purchase was going to be a slam dunk instead of me laying flat on the court.
Old January 28, 2014, 10:41 PM   #2
9mmfan

Bud's has one listed for $232 cash, $238.96 retail.

I feel your pain. I've run into cool things at gun shows, things I didn't know I wanted. Usually walked away for the same reason. Usually. Phone with internet access helps sometimes, once I eventually got one.

I'm not for sure on this, but I think Wal Mart can order one for you. I want to say I read this somewhere. I could be wrong, but it never hurts to ask.

Worst case scenario, you have an excuse to go next time the gun show comes to town...

Good luck on your search.
Old January 29, 2014, 05:16 PM   #3
southernpride

If I'm not mistaken, Academy Sports has Mavericks for about $200 out-the-door price. Don't know if you have an Academy where you live, but if so then give them a call. Hope that helps.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:47 PM   #4
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I think the nearest Academy is in the Kansas City area, about 200 miles from here.

I'm going to continue to see if I can find one, but if I don't in the next week or so I'm sure the "need" will dissipate. I have a couple of dozen guns that were purchased, more or less, on the spur of the moment. Some are still treasured and shot, others, not so much.
Old January 30, 2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Doug S

A local hardware store carries the Maverick 6 shots. They have the Mossberg 8 shots. The Mavericks are $275, and something like $350 for the Mossbergs, so I think $230ish sounds like a nice price.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old January 31, 2014, 10:35 AM   #6
HawkeyeNRAlifer

Yeah, it seems the 6 shot version is very popular. Around here it's been sale priced at $199 quite a bit, but I don't see the 8 shot advertised.
Old February 1, 2014, 11:30 PM   #7
Unknown Soldier

I have an 8 shot Mossberg 500A Persuader with only 2 rounds through it I'm looking to see or trade. I'm preferably looking for a micro pistol but will take other offers.
Old February 2, 2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Arizona Fusilier

I don't know if you have Big 5 Sporting Goods in your AO, but mine here in Phoenix consistently advertise Mavericks of all kinds.
Old February 2, 2014, 06:30 PM   #9
JERRYS.

you might want to look at the RIA pump shotgun.
Old February 3, 2014, 12:07 AM   #10
HawkeyeNRAlifer

Yeah I just saw a video on them. Kind of interesting.