The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2014, 09:45 PM   #1
jbondor

Buttstock for Ithaca Model 37

I have a 20 ga. Model 37 with a broken rear stock. Although I've looked around quite a bit, I am unable to locate one at any of the stock makers web sites. Has anyone had any experience finding a replacement stock for the Model 37 in 20 ga.? Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 7, 2014, 09:48 PM   #2
Bake

Have you checked with Boyds

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Last edited by Bake; January 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old January 7, 2014, 09:57 PM   #3
shortwave

Might want to check here:

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_page...ent-Stocks.htm

Think the walnut semi finished buttstock was around $60.00.
Old January 7, 2014, 11:19 PM   #4
upstate81

Ebay is another option i see 37 stocks on there often.
Old January 7, 2014, 11:59 PM   #5
drcook

Here is another option, but they are more expensive than gunstocksinc. With either place, you need to call and ask about degree of inletting provided and then needed to correctly fit the stock. Also you should ask how much oversize the wood will be so as to judge how much work it is going to take to finish it,

http://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/I...?productId=777

If you are not comfortable inletting and finishing a stock yourself, IthacaGun will sell finished stocks, with a recoil pad installed.

However you might consider them a bit pricey, but they are ready for installation as soon as you open the box. A friend of mine bought one from them and is completely satisfied with his purchase

http://www.ithacagun.com/
Old January 8, 2014, 10:09 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

I'm one of the guy's that had the factory install a new set of stocks. I took my 12 gauge (broken stock) to Ithaca and Zak helped me on selection of a new set of stocks, I upgraded the wood and the set cost me $250. BUT being able to pick out my own stock from their inventory and have them fitted while I waited was worth every penny.

I was watching the gun smith as he fitted the stock set, I also had a left hand safety installed and watched Zak as he performed the work, first class all the way.
Your 20 gauge is a fine gun and you won't find another shotgun as good unless it is a Ithaca.
Old January 8, 2014, 02:19 PM   #7
PetahW

If you buy a used buttstock, IIRC it must also be from a 20ga, in order to fit the receiver.

Old January 8, 2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Old Stony

I would think you should be able to locate one between the auction sites or from The Gun Parts Corp.
Old January 8, 2014, 06:02 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

Butt stocks for the 20 gauge guns won't pop-up that often since Ithaca did not make as many 20 gauge guns. And the stocks are made to fit each gauge receiver. That is the 12,16, and 20 gauge gun receiver's are different sizes.

That's why the Model 37 carries so well in the field.
Old January 8, 2014, 07:04 PM   #10
drcook

additionally pre- and post- 855,000 ser nbr'ed guns have slightly deeper inletting for the trigger guard. Older stocks that pop up on the auction sites, are, for the most part rotten. Not all, but most.

the biggest issue with Ithaca 37 buttstocks are over oiling the receiver, and storing the gun standing up. the oil runs out the back of the receiver and into the wood, soaking it making it soft. you can fix them, I have fixed a bunch BUT there is always the case that they might be too rotten

also stocks that are too tight or too loose suffer the infamous Ithaca crack.

I just finished repairing this one. as you can see, this is where they crack at

Old January 8, 2014, 09:04 PM   #11
jbondor

Thank you very much for your responses. This is a "beater" gun that I picked up years ago at a police auction. I cleaned it up somewhat and my son used it for a couple of years. It functioned well, until the stock split and the piece was lost. I'll give some of these suggestions a try. Thanks again.
Old January 9, 2014, 08:27 AM   #12
jaguarxk120

Can you give us the first few numbers of the serial number (12345XXXX) from that we can tell you the year it was made.

There are many older Ithaca Model 37's out in service that some may call beaters but could be restored. No mater when the Model 37's just about all the parts can be had from the factory. Refinishing the stocks or replacing them and a rebluing will bring the gun back to like new condition.

Go to www.shotgunworld.com and look in the Ithaca forum, scroll through the posts and look what how drcook restored a 16 gauge. From a poorly taken care of gun to a very fine shooter, unless you know where to look the repairs can not be seen.
Old January 9, 2014, 08:27 AM   #13
drcook

you know, you can have a piece glued back on and reshaped accordingly. if you are handy, that would be the least expensive option and the one I would try first. use some good wood epoxy and have both parts sanded very flat and very smooth so you get a good tight joint and clamp it.
Old January 9, 2014, 09:13 PM   #14
jbondor

Where should the serial number be?
Old January 9, 2014, 09:23 PM   #15
jaughtman

DRCOOK.....

Holy moley! I have that same crack in my old Ithaca 37 (20 guage)....did not know they were so common they had a name. How did you fix that? OH, and for the original poster - they have them on Numrich, but pretty pricey - around $100 IIRC.....I looked there but was not willing to spend that kind of money for the beater I have.

J
Old January 9, 2014, 10:14 PM   #16
gyvel

Boyd's
Old January 10, 2014, 09:10 AM   #17
drcook

Boyd's stock is sized to fit on a 12ga. That means the inletting will be too tall for a 20ga. There will need to be a lot of work to fit it. It will be oversized for the action, so once it is sized it will need refinished.

Once upon a time Boyd's sold stocks for lots of models. I have gotten stocks from them in the past and they had good stuff. One of my 12ga Ithaca 37s is stocked with a Boyd's laminate stock.

However, since they changed/were bought out, they do not offer nearly what they did. A lot of their former employees work at Macon Gun Stocks now.

Jaughtman,

I used a good grade of waterproof wood glue and clamped it back together. I have fixed a couple or mine with cracks there and have a 1951 stock I am fixing that is otherwise pretty pristine for one of my guns.

You can also use epoxy. Gently spread the crack apart and put just enough glue in so that a little will squeeze back out. Just a little. Make sure you get enough inside. You don't want so much that it won't squeeze shut all the way.

Then clamp it and leave alone until dry. Wipe the excess off of course.

If you want to do a stock refinish after the repair, just shout and I will tell you how.

this is that split buttstock above. I glued some walnut to the bottom of the pistol grip and reshaped it back to a more late 1940's, early 1950's profile.

you can barely see the line where the crack was and after I applied the wood stain to match the corncob forend (Ithaca stocks are stained) that line disappeared.

I have to strip the lacquer and respray it as I was trying to get it done to hunt with and you can't shoot lacquer correctly when it is cold. I don't shoot lacquer in the house. You can see on the pistol grip where I ran it, tried to sand it out, broke through the finish a little and sprayed back over. This is minor. A little orange stripper and I will redo it when it gets warm.

Speaking of orange stripper. I mixed some up with baby powder and packed into the end of an Ithaca stock (with some tape around the edges) to suck the oil out of the wood. Ithacas tend to get oil soaked. Usually I just soak them in acetone, but the one I am working on needs to keep the original finish.

Last edited by drcook; January 10, 2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:12 AM   #18
jaguarxk120

The serial number will be found on the right front of the receiver. It will also be stamped on the barrel.

The gun being a older model is made before serial number 855,000 and the barrel is fitted to the receiver. That's why barrel and receiver carry the same number.
Old January 10, 2014, 03:07 PM   #19
PetahW

Later, interchangeable barrel Ithaca M37's, were SN'd only on the receiver.

Old January 10, 2014, 05:57 PM   #20
Romulus

Per drcook: "the biggest issue with Ithaca 37 buttstocks are over oiling the receiver, and storing the gun standing up. the oil runs out the back of the receiver and into the wood, soaking it making it soft."

This is true, a few drops of cyanoacrylate on the open grain where the stock meets the receiver offers great protection from errant oil drops. Needless to say, let it dry before re-installing the buttstock.

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old January 10, 2014, 05:59 PM   #21
Romulus

Now, can anyone help me find a ringed forend for a 12 gauge? Been many places on the web. Thanks in advance...

Old January 10, 2014, 09:15 PM   #22
shortwave

Quote:
Now, can anyone help me find a ringed forend for a 12 gauge? Been many places on the web. Thanks in advance...
There's a couple currently on Ebay.
Old January 11, 2014, 01:06 AM   #23
Romulus

Thanks so much...watching those bids closely.

Old January 11, 2014, 08:35 AM   #24
gyvel

One thing that might help you repair the stock: In addition to the aforementioned gluing repairs, the use of a threaded brass pin such as that used by Remington to reinforce their wood 700 stocks will greatly strengthen the repair. I used that method a number of years ago on a friend's Model 99 Savage and, 30 years later, the buttstock is still in one piece.

I worked with a retired Remington stockmaker years ago and he gave me a few of those pins, but I don't know where you can get them commercially. Perhaps if you contact Remington they will sell or give you some or tell you where you can buy them.

Afterthought: There was a guy on eBay from Australia who was selling lengths of threaded brass rod that the Aussies used to repair/strengthen handguards on the Lee-Enfield rifles.