The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2012, 01:49 AM   #1
sigcurious

1911 Mags: Wilson, McCormick, Tripp, Metalform, Checkmate AGH!

I've been looking around at magazines for my recent purchase and I think I'm more confused than anything. From what I've gathered the ones listed in the title seem to all get good reviews. However it seems that even with well reviewed mags some gun+mag combinations just don't like each other and it seems to be pretty random, ie same model 1911 and mags across different users get different results.

So I wanted to get some input from y'all. Of the manufacturers listed, what have y'all had the best results with, and which version/model of mag? Also do 8rd mags fit flush?
Old January 7, 2012, 02:00 AM   #2
ragwd

Old January 7, 2012, 02:07 AM   #3
BarryLee

I use eight round Chip McCormick Power Mag+ in my Springfield Armory GI with no problems.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 7, 2012, 04:27 AM   #4
Mike38

I have excellent results using 1911 MetalForm magazines. Since I switched to them, I can not recall a failure that can be blamed on the magazine.

Well, except one…..

In a Bullseye Pistol match, the welded floorplate popped off one of my MetalForm mags. The next day I called MetalForm and told them what happened. I was put threw to the President of MetalForm. He asked about what happened, then told me he would personally see to it that I got a replacement magazine in the mail. Two days later, the new mag was at my doorstep, along with a pre paid shipping label to return the old magazine. It cost them more money to ship and receive those two magazines then they cost new. Now that’s customer service!
Old January 7, 2012, 05:25 AM   #5
Jammer Six

I have 15 Wilson and 25 Metalforms.

All are seven round, not eight.

Eights are abominations.

Mine all work.
Old January 7, 2012, 07:56 AM   #6
federali

All good mags

I have a Chip McCormack 10 rounder for my S&W 1911 as well as the two original mags which, I think, are made for S&W by Mecgar. All have been 100% reliable. The 10 rounder is used when my 1911 is on nightstand duty as it sticks out the bottom of the frame.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:24 AM   #7
kennethlee

I use Wilson mags when possible. bought them for my son's Kimberly and of course use them in my Wilson Professional. I know from reading TFL that there are other good mags available but will keep with what I know is reliable.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:52 AM   #8
ammo.crafter

mags

McCormick power mags!
Old January 7, 2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Grant D

No problems with my 1911 8 round McCormicks,and they fit flush in my Colt.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:10 AM   #10
jager.30-06

1911 mags

i'm buying a ria 1911 with my bonus end of jan, my lgs sells kimber 7 or 8 round mags for 18.99 would these be alright ( this will be my first 1911 ) i have seen the error of my polymer ways lol
Old January 7, 2012, 09:22 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

I use Chip McCormick Shooting Stars in my Springfield TRP and haven't had any issues. They are well made and run perfectly in my 1911.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:48 AM   #12
Water-Man

Wilson seven and eight round mags. Work as advertised.
Old January 7, 2012, 12:29 PM   #13
scottl

Had Wilson 47D's.My Springfield's didn't like them but ran fine in a Para.They run like a top on Springfield OE Metalform's.

I have read where people trash Colt and Springfield magazines then go buy bunch of Metalform's only to sing high praises about them.I think it breaks thier little hearts to learn they are same as one's they trash.
Old January 7, 2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Steve1968LS2

I use Chip PowerMag+ 8 rnd mags in my Les Baer.. zero problems
Old January 7, 2012, 04:05 PM   #15
David the Gnome

I run the Chip McCormick mags in my 1911's too. I just prefer the flush fitting mag to the ones with the extended bases on them. I've never had any failures with the Chip McCormick mags. I've also never had any failures from the handful of Wilson's I have but for the cost, I'd rather just go with the Chips which I find aesthetically more pleasing.
Old January 7, 2012, 04:28 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigcurious
1911 Mags: Wilson, McCormick, Tripp, Metalform, Checkmate AGH!

So I wanted to get some input from y'all. Of the manufacturers listed, what have y'all had the best results with, and which version/model of mag? Also do 8rd mags fit flush?
It's more confusing than you think, because Wilson Combat, Metalform and Check-Mate all offer multiple types of magazines. Wilson, for example, has their 47/47D line and the newer ETM line. Metalform and Check-Mate offer different feed lip configurations and different followers. And there are some 8-round magazines that fit flush (and often don't work reliably) and other 8-round magazines that are slightly extended (and tend to be more reliable.

My view is this: John M. Browning designed the M1911 with a 7-round, flush-fit magazine. He didn't try to fit in 8 rounds. I'm sure if he thought 8 rounds would work he would have gone with 8 rounds. Does anyone think if Colt and Browning had submitted a pistol with an 8-round magazine that the Ordnance Department would have said, "Well, that's a nice pistol but we'd really prefer to have you reduce the capacity to seven rounds"?

Flush-fit 8-round magazines involve compromises in both the follower design and the spring. That's why the newer (and better) 8-round magazines are slightly extended -- to allow for the spring and follower to be sized appropriately. IMHO, if you really REALLY need an 8-round magazine, buy the extended magazines from either Check-Mate or Tripp Research. Personally, I prefer flush-fit magazines, and I don't try to outsmart John M. Browning. In Government and Commander size pistols I use Check-mate or Colt 7-round magazines with the Browning-designed flat steel follower. In Officers size 1911s I use Colt or Check-Mate 6-round magazines with the Browning-designed flat steel follower.
Old January 7, 2012, 06:54 PM   #17
sigcurious

gah! lol yeah I had noticed the different follower and lip styles. I was hoping to avoid that ball of yarn by just getting whatever seems to be the most standard. At this point I'm thinking order 3 or 4 of different types, see what works best and I like best. Now I just gotta find a place that stocks them all, so far each place I've looked has like 2 of the brands I'd like to try but not the entire spectrum.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:17 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Although most (if not all) of the "name" magazines and most (if not all) of the variations have their advocates, on the forum at M1911.org it is my impression that the overwhelming favorite, and the one that is virtually always recommended for "problem" guns to eliminate magazines as the cause, is the 7-round, flat (original Browning GI design) follower, "hybrid" feed lip style. These are made by Check-Mate and sold directly by Check-Mate on their web site, by a couple of other places, and these are also OEM Colt magazines (suitably marked with a prancing pony on the baseplate). Metalform is also a Colt OEM supplier but I don't know if Metalform sells this particular magazine type/style directly.
Old January 8, 2012, 12:03 AM   #19
scottl

Quote:
Metalform is also a Colt OEM supplier but I don't know if Metalform sells this particular magazine type/style directly.
http://www.metalform.us/collections/pistol-magazines
Old January 8, 2012, 03:54 AM   #20
labhound

My Nighthawk Talon came wth two ACT mags. After about 500 rounds one the the mags will occasionally not lock the slide back when empty. I bought two Wilson Combat 47D, 8 round, stainless with basepad mags. Both work fine. You just have to find what works best in your gun.
Old January 8, 2012, 11:07 AM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl
Quote:
Metalform is also a Colt OEM supplier but I don't know if Metalform sells this particular magazine type/style directly.
http://www.metalform.us/collections/pistol-magazines
Yes?

None of the .45 magazines shown on that page is a 7-round magazine with a GI-style follower -- and they don't tell us which of the three possible feed lip configurations they are. I've been to that page, and that's why I stated that I don't know if they sell the design that seems to work best. If they do, they keep it a secret.
Old January 8, 2012, 07:10 PM   #22
Stevie-Ray

I use Chip McCormack mags in my Kimber UCDP. They work fine. I use Pachmayr mags in my old Colt Mark IV pin gun. Don't think they're made anymore, but I've found nothing better.
Old January 8, 2012, 10:57 PM   #23
Carry_24/7

I use Wilson 7-round, flush fit.....flawless performance.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:35 AM   #24
sigcurious

Went ahead and ordered a couple of the checkmates from TGS, unfortunately they'll probably get here before I can pick up my pistol.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:39 AM   #25
kkramer673

At various times I use Wilson, ACT, Chip McCormick and Kimber ProTac, all without any problems. But I take them apart and clean them after each range session.