The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 6, 2021, 08:00 PM   #1
Groundhog34

Paddle Release

I am a weirdo I admit it. I am left handed and really like the paddle release style pistol. I have a HK VP9 and a Walther PPS. What other pistol particularly compact or sub compact have a paddle release magazine?
Revelation 13:11
Old April 6, 2021, 08:24 PM   #2
Forte S+W

Most H&K Pistols have paddle mag releases.

That being said, I like the concept of a paddle magazine releases being fully ambidextrous and all, but so far in practice they just don't work with my hands. I just bought an H&K USP45 Elite, and I hate the magazine release on it. It's stiff, it's too small, and I cannot reach it with either my thumb or index feature without adjusting my grip. Fortunately, I didn't buy it with the intention to use it in competition shooting, (I just wanted one because I liked the look of them) because if I did then this would be a real problem for me.

Maybe if the paddle were substantially larger, (like 3x the size) then I could reach it without adjusting my grip and it would depress more easily due to better leverage, (why this hasn't been done already to improve the design is anyone's guess seeing as they gave the HK45 larger paddles) but as it is I'm not impressed, and first impressions are everything, so I don't see myself buying anymore guns with paddle mag releases.

I only hope that mine smooths out with use and I'm able to find a way to work it without adjusting my grip.
Old April 6, 2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Siggy-06

Hk USP Compact(and full-size) and P2000, Walther PPQ M1 and P99/c.
Old April 6, 2021, 09:38 PM   #4
BourbonCowboy

I'm also a lefty, and I've got the VP9...and love the paddle release.

I also have the VP9SK...which is my EDC pistol. It's great - particularly with the 13-round mags. It's billed as a subcompact, but it's more like a compact. When outfitted with a Lobos trigger and Speed Sights, it's a fantastic pistol. What's even better is that you can get mag adapters that will let you use your VP9 mags with it.
Old April 7, 2021, 09:16 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

Unclear if Walther will release a PDP with a paddle.

P99 is only paddle. PPQ M1 paddle is now discontinued.

No PPS with paddle in production. A new PPS has to happen at some point due to the P365.

Paddles are the best. Way faster and no accidental drop possible.
Old April 7, 2021, 09:23 AM   #6
cmdc

Lefty here as well, and I love’em. I have several HKs wnd Walthers including PPS M1 and M2. If they ever come out with a PPS+ I’d be all over it.
Old April 7, 2021, 09:35 AM   #7
Fishbed77

I’m right handed and I have come to the conclusion that the paddle release is the superior mag release design.

It’s a shame that Walther has moved away from it on recent models.
Old April 7, 2021, 10:18 AM   #8
cmdc

It seems that most American shooters hate them. I think that the biggest problem is that most pistols sold here use the button style and it’s more of a transition issue.
Old April 7, 2021, 11:30 AM   #9
Siggy-06

I always found it interesting that Glock never had a paddle release. I guess they took more design queues from Italy and Spain than Germany. While I can hit the release on my Gen 5 without adjusting my grip, I wish my Gen 3 23 had a paddle release. Are you reading this Gaston???
Old April 7, 2021, 11:39 AM   #10
cmdc

Maybe they were ‘gunning’ for the American market all along.
Old April 7, 2021, 11:51 AM   #11
TunnelRat

I’ve had pistols with and without. To me either works fine and I don’t have a strong preference for one or another. I have not had an issue with accidental drops with the button style release in the pistols I have carried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 7, 2021, 12:01 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
Most H&K Pistols have paddle mag releases.

That being said, I like the concept of a paddle magazine releases being fully ambidextrous and all, but so far in practice they just don't work with my hands. I just bought an H&K USP45 Elite, and I hate the magazine release on it. It's stiff, it's too small, and I cannot reach it with either my thumb or index feature without adjusting my grip. Fortunately, I didn't buy it with the intention to use it in competition shooting, (I just wanted one because I liked the look of them) because if I did then this would be a real problem for me.

Maybe if the paddle were substantially larger, (like 3x the size) then I could reach it without adjusting my grip and it would depress more easily due to better leverage, (why this hasn't been done already to improve the design is anyone's guess seeing as they gave the HK45 larger paddles) but as it is I'm not impressed, and first impressions are everything, so I don't see myself buying anymore guns with paddle mag releases.

I only hope that mine smooths out with use and I'm able to find a way to work it without adjusting my grip.

When it’s in stock it’s a cheap and easy upgrade:

https://hkparts.net/product/extended...tols-p1669.htm

Old April 7, 2021, 12:24 PM   #13
Forte S+W

@TunnelRat
Thanks, I'll have to buy one of those as soon as they come back in stock.
Old April 10, 2021, 08:05 AM   #14
PatientWolf

You can add the H&K P30 to your list. It has an added advantage for you in that it takes the same mags as your VP9.

You do need to verify which P30 you are getting though as it’s also available in a model with a button release instead of the paddle.
Old April 10, 2021, 08:48 AM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
You can add the H&K P30 to your list. It has an added advantage for you in that it takes the same mags as your VP9.

You do need to verify which P30 you are getting though as it’s also available in a model with a button release instead of the paddle.

Since when is the P30 available with a button rather than a paddle? I know the VP9 is available with both options, but I’ve never seen a P30 with a button release.

Old April 10, 2021, 10:52 AM   #16
wild cat mccane

I know it wasn’t an option when I bought my P30L. I don’t think there is one. The grip doesn’t look to support it. Could be wrong
Old April 10, 2021, 11:02 AM   #17
PatientWolf

Quote:
Since when is the P30 available with a button rather than a paddle? I know the VP9 is available with both options, but I’ve never seen a P30 with a button release.
Quote:
I know it wasn’t an option when I bought my P30L. I don’t think there is one. The grip doesn’t look to support it. Could be wrong
My bad. You are both correct. I’d been doing a lot of research on both lately and mis-remembered about the button release as the only think I took away was that on the H&K I wanted, I wanted to make sure it had a puddle release.

Thanks for the accurate fact-check!
Old April 10, 2021, 04:37 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

I'm a lefty but I can adapt to most right handed guns pretty quickly. The paddle is a nice option but it takes a bit for people to get used to, left or right handed.

I do own a Walther PPS with the paddle. It's one gun that I don't think I could ever sell.
Old April 11, 2021, 04:12 PM   #19
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
I’m right handed and I have come to the conclusion that the paddle release is the superior mag release design.

It’s a shame that Walther has moved away from it on recent models.
Agree. Always liked it on my dad's P99AS but it's only recently when I really got to know my new HK 45c that I've been converted.
Old April 12, 2021, 04:18 PM   #20
dgludwig

I'm also a fan of paddle releases, though the only one I have is on my USP 40 which I've had since 1994. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but in terms of magazine releases, I'm much more concerned with retention of the magazine and avoiding an inadvertent release. Unless the pistol is being used in matches where lightening fast reloads are needed to score well, when it comes to self-defense, I'm really opposed to prominently extended releases like those found on 1911-style, competition pistols, making accidental releases more probable.
The truth is, for most self-defense scenarios, having a high capacity magazine makes the need for a reload much less likely. Getting rid of the magazine quickly would probably be more important in clearing a jam than needing to expend more rounds. Personally, I see some merit, especially in cold weather when wearing gloves, in having a "European"-style, heel-release. A heel-release type magazine is not that much slower to eject than some others and are far less subject to being dumped inadvertently.
Old April 12, 2021, 08:18 PM   #21
Siggy-06

Dhludwig, it would be cool to see a modern offering with a heel-release. Maybe bersa or walther could put one on one of their .380 offerings. Some of the advantages of the heel style release: the mags wont just fall free of the gun and be damaged if they hit the ground, no accidental magazine release, less parts on the frame. These were never meant for competition shooting obviously, but during several wars/conflicts, most servicemen were only issued 2 magazines for their pistols, and you didnt want either getting damaged from falling to the ground.
Old April 15, 2021, 04:19 AM   #22
Cosmodragoon

I'm right-handed but I love the paddle. Besides being convenient, proper holsters that protect the trigger guard also help to protect a paddle release.

This isn't true for buttons. Under the wrong circumstances, bumping into a counter the wrong way can push that button. (Ask me how I know.)
Old May 12, 2021, 02:43 PM   #23
Desmosedici

Paddle release on my HK45 is very easy to actuate with my trigger finger, and the magazine has such positive ejection, it's easy so easy to do.

I love this pistol. My shooting buddy always seems to struggle with remembering where the mag release is when he shoots it, it's humorous.
Old May 12, 2021, 02:49 PM   #24
wild cat mccane

I haven't heard too many people say the button release is superior in design. Only thing I've read is a knock on the paddle because of familiarity with the button.

The button really should go.
Old May 12, 2021, 04:11 PM   #25
HistoryJunky

I am also a left hander. I have an HK P30 and it is my most comfortable, ergonomic handgun.

I have size small hands and it is the only handgun I have owned that I can hit the mag release and slide stop without breaking my grip.

I have held other guns with paddle releases and like them too.

I wish it was an option on more firearms.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk