The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: How would you rate the Ruger 57 as a concealed carry weapon?
1 13 27.66%
2 10 21.28%
3 9 19.15%
4 4 8.51%
5 6 12.77%
6 1 2.13%
7 1 2.13%
8 1 2.13%
9 0 0%
10 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 24, 2021, 04:05 PM   #26
dakota.potts

Quote:
I have an RIA model 1911 with the .22 TCM conversion. It’s a blast, literally. You get both a powerful round with very little recoil and as a bonus makes a nice short range flame thrower. The only issue with it is you can’t load the mag to full capacity due to the taper of the case.
Depending on the model magazine you have, you might have better luck with the 9R version of the rounds. They use a shorter bullet profile set back further into the case and are designed to fit standard 9mm magazines like Glock and CZ. I think you lose about 100 FPS over the full length TCM rounds but probably worth it to feed from the magazines.
Old March 24, 2021, 07:48 PM   #27
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwagliardo View Post
Ammo has gone up to $70 to$100 for 50 rounds.
The current price of the ammo is what gives me pause regarding getting the 57. The ammo was kind of pricey before the covid but now it is off the charts.
Old March 25, 2021, 12:48 PM   #28
gnystrom

Too large
Too loud
Too much muzzle blast

Other than that it is probably a fun gun to own.
Old March 25, 2021, 12:48 PM   #29
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
When comes to CC, I won't even consider anything bigger than LCR, Walther PPK. I don't go out to protect the gun, How can you enjoy carrying something like this? Be it you have the best holster, still it's a piece of rock either at your back or your stomach. How can you enjoy anything when you cannot even sit comfortably? You really have to ask yourself whether you are protecting the gun or the gun protecting you? If it doesn't fit in my pants pocket or the jacket pocket, it ain't a CC gun for me. I believe in living and enjoying life.

Of cause, in this political climate, if you go to some place that you expect trouble, it's a different story. But I still have my Glock 26 9mm that is small enough to hide somewhere in the jacket pocket
I've got a Glock 23/32 IWB every day, including shopping, errands, 2 mile walk the dogs, 5 mile casual bicycle ride, wherever, whenever.
Loose untucked cover shirt, with a thin tank (A-frame) between me and pistol, with shorts is standard FL attire.

I don't expect trouble, I live in a excellent place; I'm definitely enjoying life.
However, if I had to defend myself I'd prefer a Glock 23/32 in hand rather than a pocket 380 and that is independent of location, wherever, whenever.

As to the question OP presented, if a pistol is larger than a Glock 19/23/32 it is going to be difficult for me to conceal to my satisfaction wearing some of my summer shirts.
I've carried a Glock 20SF and could easily if I wanted to (less favorite shirts), so ...
Glock 20SF height 5.5'' width 1.3''
Ruger 57 height 5.6'' width 1.2''
Ruger could be concealed, but I think I'd rather have the 20SF 10mm
Old March 25, 2021, 06:14 PM   #30
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
I've got a Glock 23/32 IWB every day, including shopping, errands, 2 mile walk the dogs, 5 mile casual bicycle ride, wherever, whenever.
Loose untucked cover shirt, with a thin tank (A-frame) between me and pistol, with shorts is standard FL attire.

I don't expect trouble, I live in a excellent place; I'm definitely enjoying life.
However, if I had to defend myself I'd prefer a Glock 23/32 in hand rather than a pocket 380 and that is independent of location, wherever, whenever.

As to the question OP presented, if a pistol is larger than a Glock 19/23/32 it is going to be difficult for me to conceal to my satisfaction wearing some of my summer shirts.
I've carried a Glock 20SF and could easily if I wanted to (less favorite shirts), so ...
Glock 20SF height 5.5'' width 1.3''
Ruger 57 height 5.6'' width 1.2''
Ruger could be concealed, but I think I'd rather have the 20SF 10mm
Personally I would be thinking 9x21 Dillon, but I guess 10mm would work.
Old March 25, 2021, 09:03 PM   #31
smee78

I think its a bit large for daily carry but it can be done if your determined. I like a smooth flat shooting round and the large capacity of the gun. I'm sure it will be a joy to shoot.
Old April 4, 2021, 05:44 PM   #32
ATN082268

I appreciate the input of everyone. I recently got the 57 but have not had the time and the ammo to shoot it. I will be correcting that shortly. I may not conceal carry it but it looks like a fun gun anyway
Old April 5, 2021, 01:52 AM   #33
Urbanrecon

Seems like it would be a fun gun. I can think of much worse handguns to try to conceal carry.
Old April 8, 2021, 02:27 AM   #34
mellow_c

I'd give it a 5.7 out of 10. . .

Old April 8, 2021, 02:45 AM   #35
TruthTellers

The stated purpose behind the FN P90 was for it to be a gun for security details in the event of armored attackers or for secondary soldiers who were not direct combat troops who in the event they got cut off or encountered enemy resistance had something that was small and light and not a pistol.

Nothing about the 5.7x28 was ever meant to be used in a pistol w/ a 5 inch barrel and for self defense against a junkie schizo mugger.

Is it useless? No, but there are better choices.
Old April 9, 2021, 06:34 AM   #36
Nakanokalronin

The SS198LF and the new Gold Dot ammo are excellent self defense ammo choices for the FN Fiveseven or Ruger 57. Due to the state of ammo availability and prices, they're both next to impossible to find or extremely expensive. I have a Ruger 57 and it's very accurate and flat shooting with very little recoil. It's slim, it's light but it's still a big pistol. I wouldn't want to carry it around IWB all day.
Old April 28, 2021, 03:24 PM   #37
tex45acp

I have a friend who is a bodybuilder and has larger than average pecs. He wears his shirts untucked and his shirts hang out about 3"-4" from his waist. He carries a 5" double stack 1911 in an appendix holster very discreetly. I think the 57 would be no problem for him. I know that there are a lot of folks moving to the appendix carry holsters, but I just have a problem with a gun pointing at the family jewels.