The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 12, 2020, 07:44 PM   #1
ReloadKy

Reason for price difference???

My local Walmart has the Remington 700 ADL scope combo priced for $379. I have referenced this same rifle / scope combo on other websites and the closest price was $80 more expensive. Are there any gun store employees or people more knowledgeable than me that can shed some light as to the reason for the price difference?
Old January 12, 2020, 08:23 PM   #2
reynolds357

It is called buying power and profit margin. WalMart has tremendous buying power and low profit margins. As an example, my local Walmart used to sell high end Wby Mark 5 rifles for $400 to $450 less than the dealer I use could get them for. He bought piles of them at WalMart and re-sold them.
Old January 12, 2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Txhillbilly

It's because Wally world buys in bulk,and most other stores don't. If they just bought one rifle for each store,they would be buying thousands of them in each caliber.

Buy more,Pay a cheaper price!
Old January 12, 2020, 08:28 PM   #4
jmr40

Walmart buys guns by the tractor trailer load and stores them in warehouses. They get significant discounts doing it that way. Plus it sometimes takes several years to sell off all of them. It isn't unusual to buy a gun from any of the big box stores that is 3-4 years old. I bought one from K-Mart several years ago that was 10 years old. It still had the 10 year old price tag on it and was significantly cheaper than current production.

Winston Churchill
Old January 12, 2020, 08:33 PM   #5
FITASC

Walmart utilizes a computer-model driven pricing formula as opposed to MSRP. This was one of the reasons the .22lr shortage lasted so long - because they kept to their pricing model instead of raising prices to market condition levels - they do the same with ammo and guns
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 12, 2020, 08:49 PM   #6
ReloadKy

Makes sense to me. I went to walmart because 2 weeks ago I was there and they had boxes of winchester 7mm Rem mag 175 gr power point on sale for $10. I bought 2 boxes then and was going back for more. According to the young lady working in the sporting goods walmart is no longer going to carry that particular round so they were selling them for 10 bucks to try and get rid of them.
Old January 12, 2020, 11:10 PM   #7
1MoreFord

Walmart also typically buys the 20% of gun models and calibers that account for 80% of all sales leaving the LGS's to buy try to sell the 80% of models and calibers that account for 20% of all sales. Another reason some fine but neglected calibers fall into oblivion.
Old January 13, 2020, 04:44 AM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
He bought piles of them at WalMart and re-sold them.
A retail shop near where I lived did the same thing with coffee--they ended up being taken to court and ordered to stop reselling IIRC.
Old January 13, 2020, 05:22 AM   #9
Blindstitch

Quote:
I went to walmart because 2 weeks ago I was there and they had boxes of winchester 7mm Rem mag 175 gr power point on sale for $10.
I went to Meijer today and bought 3 boxes of Winchester Deer Season XP at $10.49 a box. Power points were still $17.99. There were boxes of 6.5 Creedmore for $8. Wish I hand one because I would have stocked up. 270 was also flying off the shells for $9.
Old January 13, 2020, 10:22 AM   #10
std7mag

When i was looking for a CZ720 last spring everyone was telling me in the $520-$525 range.
One local gunshop that i like to deal with told me $479.

Care to guess where i bought from?

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 13, 2020, 02:39 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

$379 is $162 less than MSRP.
"...My local Walmart..." Yep. Wally World gets to tell the manufactures what they will pay as their 'dealer wholesale price'. No question of credit terms either. They can pay whenever they feel like it. Vs a small shop that may or may not even get credit terms and is on COD. Or, if they're lucky and have established good credit, get 30 days.
Wally World can buy a whole year's worth of a factory's production if they want to as well. And get it.
"...did the same thing with coffee..." Coffee, next to crude oil, is the world's most hotly traded commodity.
"...some fine but neglected calibers fall into oblivion..." Most of 'em are the answer to an unasked question in the first place. Nothing to do with negligence.
Old January 13, 2020, 03:26 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReloadKy View Post
My local Walmart has the Remington 700 ADL scope combo priced for $379. I have referenced this same rifle / scope combo on other websites and the closest price was $80 more expensive. Are there any gun store employees or people more knowledgeable than me that can shed some light as to the reason for the price difference?
A couple years ago, one of my FFzl friends bought almost 200 700 ADL from Wal Mart for less than $250 each.