The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 4, 1998, 08:18 PM   #1
Bryan Whited

Have an easy one for you. Took out a brand new Pony Pocketlite today and had a problem with the trigger. Occasionally it would not reset for a second shot. Looking into it the problem is if the trigger is released slowly then the trigger is held up just before the trigger fully resets but does release after a little pause. For a quick follow up shot it is easy to tie the trigger up so that it has no resistance and of course does not fire. If the trigger is released from it rearmost position by removing the finger then there is no problem. Is this normal for a Pony?
Old December 4, 1998, 10:06 PM   #2
Bryan Whited

Have had a better chance to look at it and found that the problem only happens when a mag is in the firearm. So the mag must be making contact with the trigger bar. Is this a common problem?
Old December 9, 1998, 07:46 PM   #3
Daren Thompson

I bought A Mustang and had several problems. The first is, is your pony very picky about ammo. My mustang is very picky. I also had problems with the slide locking to the rear when empty. Have U had any of these problems?
Thanks
Later
Daren
Old December 9, 1998, 07:53 PM   #4
Rob Pincus

Bryan,

I originally ignored this post, as I am not familar with the Pony, but youmay have noticed in my "farewell" post to Mac that I had the exact same problem with my Mustang. This is a new problme for me though, the Mustang trigger use to function properly.

hmmmmmmmmm

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 9, 1998, 08:15 PM   #5
Bryan Whited

Dean,
I have only had a chance to put 100 rounds thru the Pony but did you two different brands both with no feeding problems or any kind.
You said you have a problem with the slide locking to the rear when empty. Is this not the way it should work? If not, then I need more explaination of the problem.
Old December 9, 1998, 08:22 PM   #6
Bryan Whited

Rob,
The Mustang and Pony use different trigger setups. The Mustang being the standard Colt Single Action Auto and the Pony using a different style Double Action Only.
However the same basic problem could still exist. The problem with mine is the trigger bar which go on the right side of the magazine is making contact with the mag. The Mustang uses a trigger bow (goes on both sides of the magazine) which could make contact with the mag if it is not fitted correctly. If you do not have a magazine if your mustang does the problem still happen? Try it again with the mag in place, does it happen? Try it once again with the mag in place and pushing the mag up as far as it will go. Does it happen? If it happens when the mag is in place and/or when the mag is pushed up then this is what is happening.
Old December 10, 1998, 07:12 PM   #7
Daren Thompson

Brian my problem was that the slide would NOT lock to the rear when empty. I thought the problem would go away after break in. I finally ended up monkying the spring for the slide stop and not the gun functions properly. Rob what problems did U have with your mustang? Slide or finiky about ammo. This is my CCDW pistol and the reliability of it is not as impressive as it should be for the price. The pistol's accuracy is good. Forgot to mention one other problem. Excuse me I am not a gunsmith ,so id on the parts may not be coorect, but I try. The pistol when i bought it had a problem, if the trigger was not FULLY sqeezed the hammer would fall, but the round would not go off. Upon inspection I realized that the internal safty that prevents the gun from firing without the trigger depreesed was not dissengaging if the trigger was moved only a SHORT distance to the rear. I ended up bending an internal peiced(on purpose) and now the gun funtions properly. Let me know if any of the same problems
Later
Daren

------------------

Old December 10, 1998, 07:25 PM   #8
Rob Pincus

My slide locks back. Usually, failures to lock are caused by magazines, rather than the firearms themselves.

My failure with the Mustang was as described elsewhere, specifically that I had to manually pull the bottom of the trigger back out after firing about 1 out of 3 shots.
Obviosuly, I won't be carrying the mustang until this gets fixed. I rarely carry single actions anymore anyway.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 12, 1998, 01:37 PM   #9
Daren Thompson

I tried several mags. I bought it at Knob Creek gun range and they allowed me to try several mags from various stangs they had. Has your stang been ammo finicky?
Later
Daren
Old December 12, 1998, 01:47 PM   #10
Rob Pincus

yeah, it is, but most of the .380's I've owned have been. My stang has a date with Mac Scott, sooner or later.

Are you near KCGR? You must not be far from me if you are, I am just across the border in TN.

Sounds like the new moderator here in the smithy is also close to there.

------------------
-Essayons