The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 11, 2018, 11:05 AM   #1
armednfree

Guns I don't shoot

I went through the safe yesterday and cleaned guns. Inspect all of them, clean all of them as needed. I have three guns I don't think I fired in the last 15 years, probably several more than that. Every time I do this I think I'll take them out, but I never do.

One is a S+W M15. That gun has only ever fired 148 grain BB wadcutters and 4 grains of WW231 since I've owned it. It is in excellent condition and had never seen a holster.

The second is a High Standard Victor, 1972 vintage. It is in pristine condition and in the original box.

The third is a Clarke Heavy slide 1911. Since I've owned it it has only seen 185 grain semi-wadcutters and 5.4 grains of WW231 and 230 grain bullets with 5.1 grains of the same load. I have two springs with the lighter on painted green because it is reduced power. The heavy slide will not feed the 185's with a stock spring.

I bought all of these when I was shooting Bullseye from other bullseye shooters. Those guys baby their guns and these show it.

Maybe I'll shoot them again this year, or the next, or next...

Several times I considered selling them, just can't even though all three would bring a pretty penny.
Old December 11, 2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Selling them would end in nothing but regret!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 11, 2018, 12:22 PM   #3
armednfree

That's true. These represent a period of my life. Lot's of great older gentlemen I remember with them. Mostly dead by now, they were in their late 50's and early 60's even back then. I had an '03 Springfield I bought from one of them that I sold. The brief surge of cash was not worth selling the tangible memory item.
Old December 11, 2018, 12:56 PM   #4
Nathan

I struggle with the same thing and i try to stay on top of that!

If it makes you feel better, I have 4-6 on the chopping block! I might try to work up a sell 6 to buy 2 deal.....I would love an older BAR or pre-64 model 70 and an STI 9mm. Trouble is my 6 would fetch about $2500 and the 2 are worth about $4000!!!
Old December 11, 2018, 01:29 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

I think come spring I'm going to sell a few of mine,,,

I think come spring I'm going to sell a few of mine,,,
I, like the OP, have several handguns that I haven't fired in years.

Fortunately they are all just guns that I bought to have,,,
Not a one of them has any special meaning or significance to me.

Besides, I'll be retiring in 415 days,,,
I will be better off with cash in the bank.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 11, 2018, 02:19 PM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
Not to the folks who bought them!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 11, 2018, 02:36 PM   #7
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
I haven’t regretted selling or trading any of mine. I have more that I regret buying than I’ve regretted moving on. But the sales and trades have opened up better opportunities down the road.

Why leave cash wrapped up in an unused asset if it doesn’t have an emotional reason to keep (like an heirloom) or you aren’t a collector?
Old December 11, 2018, 02:48 PM   #8
ammo.crafter

safe queens

I've regretted every gun I ever sold, regardless of the price I got.

My attorney (my wife) advised I speak with my children, who both shoot and appreciate guns, if they have any preferences as to which ones they would like.

A letter has been written listing these guns and to whom they will go to when my time comes.

This letter is not part of my will and no serial numbers are enumerated, either.

The balance are to presented to my gun club buddies along with approximate value and who I believe would most likely want to have them.
Old December 11, 2018, 03:06 PM   #9
223 shooter

One thing for certain it is always a lot more expensive to acquire a gun you once owned the second time around!

Still most of the guns I traded or sold I am ok with letting go. A few I do regret - had a Clark Custom Combat built on a Springfield Armory 1911. A Sako P94S 22lr Varmint comes to mind.
Old December 11, 2018, 03:29 PM   #10
SIGSHR

Yes, of all the guns I have sold there are only 3 I don't miss.
Old December 11, 2018, 03:39 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
One thing for certain it is always a lot more expensive to acquire a gun you once owned the second time around!
Yup. In my senior years I have been trying to replace those guns foolishly sold or traded to "open up other opportunities" that for the most part weren't worth opening. But replacing them cost a lot more than what I got for them!
You see, I'm not a collector. I am an accumulator.
Old December 11, 2018, 04:03 PM   #12
44caliberkid

I say, with crossed fingers, anything I haven't shot in the last 5 years I'm selling when I turn 65. I have regretted selling most guns, like any S&W revolver, my 6 inch Python, and a Remington 600 carbine in 350 Magnum, laminated stock. Better get 'round to shooting, 65 draws near.
Old December 11, 2018, 04:25 PM   #13
mk70ss

Shoot those things!!!! No sense having those beautiful, quality, outstanding guns left in your safe for your heirs to inherit in mint condition. Life is too short to have safe queens unless they are a viable collection for investment purposes.
Old December 11, 2018, 04:29 PM   #14
Salmoneye

I had two that sat for a few years back in the 90's that in a fit of stupidity I sold...I figured that if I hadn't fired them in more than a year that there was no point in having them...

One was a T/C Contender with a 10" hunter package in .45-70, and a T/C custom shop 12" barrel in .357 Herrett...

The other was a Colt Government Model .380 Auto...

Nothing but regret since I sold them...

What was I thinking...
Old December 11, 2018, 05:19 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I say, with crossed fingers, anything I haven't shot in the last 5 years I'm selling when I turn 65.
Why? When I hit that mark I started buying even more! In fact, when I retired at 62 my "accumulation" started out growing my safe.
Old December 11, 2018, 06:30 PM   #16
tallball

I've sold or traded plenty of guns.

But I've never sold or traded one that I really liked.

Hence, no regrets.
Old December 11, 2018, 09:00 PM   #17
Dufus

In all my years of gun ownership, I have only sold one. It was a Rem 700 30-06 bought in 1971. I got what I paid for it. I don't like Remingtons, so no love lost.

I have given away several to folks less fortunate and that had a legitimate need.

I do have a collector S&W M29 NIB that I have had for 10 years and never shot. I am working on a trade with it.
Old December 11, 2018, 09:42 PM   #18
RUT

>>I haven’t regretted selling or trading any of mine. I have more that I regret buying than I’ve regretted moving on<<

Hah...sounds just like me!
Old December 11, 2018, 10:05 PM   #19
PatientWolf

Some of my fondest memories shooting as a youngster were from shooting my fathers High Standard Victor. If I had one today, I wouldn't be able to part with it for anything-whether I shot it regularly or not.
Old December 11, 2018, 10:54 PM   #20
Drm50

The last three years I have sold all my magnum big game rifles and most of my varmit guns
I decided at my age with bad back I ain't going to be running around the mountains and muskege anymore. There is no groundhogs left in my area, coyotes ate them all. They were
all Win 70s pre 64s, Sako, Brn Safari, Styer ect. They were all bought by me no sentimental
attachment. Out of 30 rifles I only regret selling a Sako 375H&H I bought new in late 60s.
I carried it a lot on hunting trips. I haven't really got a use for it but would like to have it back. I have guns that came down through family and guns that were gifts that aren't for
sale. I could never had afforded to have owned all the guns that went through my hands if
I had not sold or traded.
Old December 11, 2018, 11:13 PM   #21
armednfree

I would lock that Victor in a Ransom rest and fire Federal Champion ammo. That thing was like a rifle. Stacking all rounds right on top of each other.
Old December 12, 2018, 02:28 PM   #22
Skans

Quote:
Several times I considered selling them,
I have lots of great guns that I never shoot for one reason or another. One reason is that I really favor shooting about 4 autos, and of those, I really favor the X-Five over all the others. I still enjoy having them.

Freedom means being able to own as many guns as you want and can afford and not having to ever shoot any of them if you don't want to!
Old December 12, 2018, 03:42 PM   #23
Prof Young

Shoot em . . . then sell em . . . .

My guns safes have a grand total of 22 guns. Half hand guns and half long. If I add in all the guns I've ever owned then sold, the total would be about 45.

My fun-for-the-range guns are the ones that get used for a while and then sold. I buy a gun that looks fun to shoot, shoot it a while then sell so I'll have some $$ to buy another.

My long guns have pretty well settled. I have a handful I use to hunt with, the obligatory AR 15, a touch of history (mosin nagant) and a couple of youth guns both rifle and scatter guns to teach the kids on. At the LGS right now on commission I have a couple 22 semi autos. Don't really need four 22 semi autos.

Handgun wise they kind of fall in to the category of HD guns, CC guns and range guns. It's the range guns that kind of get cycled through. Also at the LGS on commission now is my Beretta 92fs. It's a classic if here ever was one but I don't shoot it much anymore. It's too big for me to carry, and not a hunting gun so . . . And I've got my eye on some other fun things to shoot, but need to raise a little $$$ to get them

Life is good
Prof Young
Old December 12, 2018, 06:36 PM   #24
osbornk

I have sold or traded 7 guns in the last 10 or 12 years and I don't regret getting rid of any of them. They were all older but nice guns that I got rid of because I had replaced them with a similar gun that I liked better. I knew I was not going to be shooting them and someone else could enjoy them rather than them sitting at my house.
Old December 12, 2018, 06:51 PM   #25
Ricklin

Congrats Aarond!

Sheesh, sounds like we are all about the same age here.

Congrats on your retirement getting close enough to start counting the days Aarond! I'm not quite there yet, but getting closer.

Guns have been finding me lately. In the last two weeks.
Rem 31 Shotgun 30 and full
Hawes JP Sauer SAA clone .357 with a stuck base pin
Tisas .45 Govt. Thanks to Buds my first 1911
Colt 1889 New Army + Navy not a shooter, but nice cosmetic condition. Civilian model.

The plus is the guns above were all short money, so don't have to sleep on the couch.