The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 22, 2017, 04:11 PM   #1
mrappe

Getting a lot of lead in chamber of 38/40 1873 Uberti

I have been shooting my original 73 Winchester at CAS matches for 20 years and in the past 7 years I noticed that I was getting a lot of lead buildup in the chamber all along the length of the brass. By the end of a match it would net tight when chambering a round. I would have to take the whole gun apart and scrape out the lead flakes with a dental tool. Several months ago I bought a new Taylor's / Uberti 73 also in 38/40 so that I could stop shooting a gun that was made in 1885. I have shot the new rifle in 2 monthly matches and found that it too was doing the same thing. in fact It had more lead in it. I created a tool with a brass case a brass jag and casting resin to get the lead out, I works well but I am trying to figure out why this is happening in the first place. I have been using the same loading specs for 20 years,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 063s.JPG (189.0 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by mrappe; July 22, 2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: picture
Old July 22, 2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

I never have problems with 73, circa 1885, 38-40, I load with real black powder from a 24" drop tube and wheel weight lead with a card between. Are you using a drop tube to get a completely full case ?
Old July 22, 2017, 05:31 PM   #3
mrappe

I have not slugged the bore(s) or chamber(s)  and I will have to measure the bullet. I get my bullets from a guy  in my club who does it professionally so I will have to  ask him about the hardness. I am shooting smokeless powder. It is a load that I got from a fellow club member  years ago that owned a cartridge loading company whom I bought rounds from before I started reloading. I have not choreographed them but they are not light loads

thanks,
Mike 
Old July 22, 2017, 07:02 PM   #4
EphraimKibbey

mrappe - What bullets were you using before the problem started 7 years ago!!! Try them again and see if it solves the problem.
Old July 22, 2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Hawg

It sounds like you're running soft bullets too fast with the smokeless. Wait you said chamber. Maybe the bullet is digging into the edge of the chamber and shaving lead off.
Old July 22, 2017, 11:25 PM   #6
44 Dave

Are .38-40s as varied as .44-40s as to chamber and bore dimensions?
Old July 24, 2017, 04:06 PM   #7
mrappe

The loads that I am using are somewhere in the middle of the manufacturer's recommendations.  According to there specs they should be around 840 fps. The bullet is 0.401 " and with my CabineTree Lead Hardness Tester the lead looks to be around SAECO 10 or Binell 22. Years ago I made some rounds without powder or primer that I use for testing because the I suspected the old Winchester of shaving lead off when cambering rounds. When I operate the gun with them I don't see that happening. I have always used Redding Dies on the recommendation of the same person that I got the loading info from. I used the crimping that was built into the bullet seating die and had no problems with that with my Winchester. When I got the Uberti which is 4" shorter I found that using the die crimp was not enough when loading 10 cartridges into the gun the mag spring was pushing the bullets 
back into the cases so I now use a Lee Factory Crimp Die to crimp the bullets in. When I used the bullet seating die to crimp in the past sometimes I would get a small shaved ring of lead where the edge of the brass met the crimping groove but I usually removed  the ring with my fingernail and it would fall off. I have not measured the chamber(s) or bore as of yet. I will have to find out the best way to do that.

Mike
Old July 24, 2017, 04:13 PM   #8
mehavey

Quote:
lead looks to be around SAECO 10 or Binell 22
You're waaaay too hard and the bullet's not expanding/squishing/obdurating
to seal the rifling upon entering the throat.
Get the mix down to 30-1/BN 6 or so.
(yes, "6")

(I getta lotta use outta this pic )

Last edited by mehavey; July 24, 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old July 25, 2017, 12:27 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Lewis Lead Remover or copper chore boy wrapped around an old cleaning brush.

I wonder if the previous lead alloy was harder/softer?
Old July 25, 2017, 11:00 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Maybe you should consider trying Gas Checked boolits to see a leading cure.

BTW: I stopped shooting plain base bullets years ago. Only G/C in both pistol & rifle these days.

Although I do like to shoot plain based cast {paper patch} wrapped for accuracy.
Old July 25, 2017, 11:34 PM   #11
mehavey

At the speeds the OP cites -- 840fps -- he is running low pressure and needs a SOFT bullet.
In fact try pure lead in that regime.
Old July 26, 2017, 08:06 AM   #12
jaguarxk120

There is no mention of bullet lube, sometimes a change in lube

will affect leading.
Old July 26, 2017, 08:39 AM   #13
the Black Spot

Lead in the chamber? Full length of the brass?
Sounds like the load is not warm enough for the brass to fill the chamber and seal it.
The bullet could be oversized, bogs down on entering rifling causing the gas to melt some lead on the base. With the bullet bogged down(because of oversize) if blows the lead backward before case can expand and seal chamber.