The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 25, 2013, 09:29 AM   #26
Doc Hoy

BLFuller

I just realized I had not answered your question.

The plaque that the pistols are hanging on is fastened to the wall with about an eighth inch gap between the wall and the back of the plaque. The frame and glass of the case hangs on the plaque. I keep it from falling off with a small angle bracket fastened to the case which fits behind the top of the plaque.

The case just lift off the plaque so the revolvers are real easy to steal.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:45 PM   #27
salvadore

That's a nice offer Doc, I have almost 100 conicals from a lee mold that I rolled around in lee's liquid lube, I'd send in reciprocity. They work Ok in my navy, but you have to take the barrel off of the 62 Navy and police for each load, and its pretty hard on them.
Old June 25, 2013, 09:36 PM   #28
bedbugbilly

Doc . . . . a bunch of us on here are thinkin' about taking you up on your offer and putting in a group order. . . do you think you can get out an initial order of say . . oh . . . 30,000 units in the next month? Of course these would come all ready to hang on the wall including the guns wouldn't they?

I kind of like your "attack cat" . . . she'd go good with my vicious 10 pound poodle that rules the roost. I always wanted "man dogs" . . . beagles, labs and the like. Made the mistake of going to the pet store to get dog food one day and ended up coming home with a "rescue poodle" . . . it worked out well though . . . she had me trained in about a half a day.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 25, 2013, 09:56 PM   #29
BirchOrr

VERY nice...

Awesome collection Doc.

Reminds me of what my bedroom looks like.

Thanks for sharing.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old June 26, 2013, 10:46 AM   #30
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I think it looks nice Doc. You have a very nice on going collection there. I like the idea of being able to see my favorite past time pleasures too. It's such a great way to dress up a bland looking wall isn't it. Better that way with nicely done pistol gun case's and long guns than with some boring picture that offers no memory in one's life what so ever other than the store you bought it at.
Being one of us are usually always home here in this house. If someone breaks in and wants them that bad to where our lives could very well be threatened {but never taken I'll guarantee that will not happen if I'm around.} They can freely have them all. (Their all on CD disk for my home owners insurance anyway.) Yep take them all. I'll just go out the next day and buy more just like you would Doc Hoy.

S/S
Old June 27, 2013, 06:19 AM   #31
Doc Hoy

Coupla responses

Sal,

PM sent.

Bedbug,

That would be fine but I ned to go out and buy some caterpillar engines to get the oak. Lemme see. 30,000 hangers, $300.00 each...... Sheesh, I could afford to go out and buy that rollng block .45-70 I have been wanting.

Birch,

Right except that in your case the wall is full of guitars, right?

SSM,

Smart of you to have records of those weapons. Not just for the insurance company but also for the cops. I gotta do that.
Old June 27, 2013, 10:47 AM   #32
bedbugbilly

In all seriousness, a person SHOULD keep an inventory of all of their firearms whether it be one or one hundred. Most homeowner's insurance covers a very minimal amount for firearms and in most cases, it requires a "rider" to add them on.

I photograph (at least I try to keep up on it - not that I buy that many ) each of my guns - both sides and close-ups of any markings, scratches, etc. that would help identify them - as well as keep a paper inventory on each one. Make, Model,Caliber,Serial #, Barrel Length, Date Purchased, Amount Paid, etc. and any additional notes I think are pertinent.

Hopefully, that information will never be needed but if you do suffer a theft, those things will help the LE identify them as to ownership if recovered. Not knocking LE - but think about it - you could describe a 1860 Army to an officer and if he has no experience with BP, you might as well describe a three legged nearsighted two headed goat. With photos, they will know what to look for.

I also did mine trying to think ahead if something should happen to me. The inventory would give my wife some idea of what the guns are, their value, etc. or in the case of both of us being killed in a car accident or other demise, it will be helpful to the Trustee of our estate. Too many times, a wife doesn't know anything about her husband's guns and ends up disposing of them at way below a fair market price - and in a lot of instances - that wife could use the money. I've collected "stuff" for all of my life and have been "thinning out" over the past few years. It always gives me a smile when I pull something out and my wife says, "What's that? I never knew you had that!" Not that she's upset, she just isn't that interested in my "stuff" and I know she has no idea of the values.

Doc - you've got the photos - all you need to do is get the info down on paper and put it away somewhere secure.

Just "food for thought" . . . . those are just things a person needs to "get done" as sometimes "tomorrow" comes sooner than we'd like it to.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 27, 2013, 06:17 PM   #33
Bill Akins

Good advice Bedbugbilly.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old June 27, 2013, 09:48 PM   #34
BirchOrr

Well...

Quote:
Right except that in your case the wall is full of guitars, right?
Yes... The guitars/pistols/rifles/deer/fish mounts, argue over "place of honor" status!

You rock Doc!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old June 27, 2013, 10:03 PM   #35
Doc Hoy

Well...

Eddy Van Halen, Barry Goudreau, and Leo Kottke rock.

I just kind of hum along.