The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 19, 2018, 02:00 PM   #1
alistair

Palmetto State Armory - Rifle Kit

I'm looking to venture into the AR world by buying a lower and rifle kit from Palmetto State Armory.
Anyone built one of PSA's mid priced kits?
Old November 19, 2018, 06:29 PM   #2
kymasabe

I've been buying PSA parts and complete uppers and lowers for years. Buy with confidence. The only product I had a problem with was one of their cheap PTAC uppers, and they replaced the whole thing with a much better complete Freedom upper. Good products, excellent customer service.
Old November 19, 2018, 06:38 PM   #3
rickyrick

I can say that their products are good for the most part. I don’t like PSA as a whole though.
Old November 19, 2018, 08:40 PM   #4
Mobuck

I use PSA stuff regularly. Most of the time it's a bit better than some of the other internet sales quality. I actually prefer DelTon uppers but PSA is a close second. At times I can buy a PSA upper cheaper than the individual parts and I don't have to wrench it.
Old November 19, 2018, 09:47 PM   #5
rickyrick

If they still have the FN barrels, those are pretty decent. My first was a PSA rifle kit.
Old November 19, 2018, 10:33 PM   #6
B Cuz

PSA is good especially for your first value AR. See if they (AR's) are for you.
Old November 20, 2018, 12:35 PM   #7
kymasabe

If I were looking for a decent AR that I could build on later, I'd buy these right now !!
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450089.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449717.html

Seriously. $360 for a complete AR with free shipping !! Just add your local FFL fee and a mag or two of your favorite flavor and you're ready to go to the range (after an initial cleaning). Lots of goodies on this pair, lots of Magpul products instead of the usual A2 grip and crappy stock, decent handguard instead of the fat round standard handguard, good trigger guard, and includes a rear sight, and has the EPT trigger !! This is a decent setup for the price, and no wrenching required. Has the much prefered mid-length gas system, nice nitride finish on the barrel, and looks like Anchor Harvey upper receiver. Nice !! I wish I wasn't in the middle of a more expensive build, I'd jump on this deal myself !!

Last edited by kymasabe; November 20, 2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old November 20, 2018, 01:15 PM   #8
n4aof

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair View Post
I'm looking to venture into the AR world by buying a lower and rifle kit from Palmetto State Armory.
Anyone built one of PSA's mid priced kits?
I'm not sure it was a "mid priced" kit -- the PSA kit that I built was on sale for a pretty low price (although it was not their lowest priced kit). I also have to state that it was not a "rifle" kit but rather an AR Pistol kit.

One of their constant sale emails had a pistol kit that almost exactly matched what I was looking for in an AR pistol as my next gun purchase -- when I visited their website I found another kit (also on sale but slightly higher priced) that really did match what I wanted (10.5" barrel, full handguard, linear compensator). The price was comfortably within reach so I ordered it. I then went to my LGS (KyGunCo) to pick up a stripped Anderson lower (on sale, just under $25)

The only other expenses were a pair of pin punches to make it easier to assemble and a single point sling adapter to replace the plain receiver end plate that comes in the kit.

The kit came with a fully assembled upper that saved me a lot of time and effort.

Fit and function were 100% -- no sign of PSA skimping on any of the parts in their kit. As I mentioned, I did get a sling adaptor to use instead of the plain receiver end plate that comes in the kit. The only other part of the kit that I would probably have replaced if I had known about it before I started the build was the trigger guard. This isn't a matter of PSA skimping out, they used a Magpul trigger guard which fits perfectly but I would have preferred a true milspec trigger guard even though I never expect to need to open it.
Old November 20, 2018, 01:44 PM   #9
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4aof View Post
...but I would have preferred a true milspec trigger guard even though I never expect to need to open it.
I think you're the only person I've ever heard that said they prefer the flat (in my opinion, ugly) mil-spec trigger guard. I put Magpuls on almost every build unless someone specifies other. I have a mil-spec trigger guard rolling around in the bottom of my parts build box, I'll glady mail to you just to get it the heck out of my way. Message me your address if you want it.
Old November 20, 2018, 10:27 PM   #10
vkeith

I have a PTAC M4 clone and two of the mid-line Freedom ARs all built from kits with assembled uppers. They all run and shoot fine. They are a very good value for the money.
Old November 22, 2018, 01:48 PM   #11
GeorgeandSugar

I’ve used CBC Industries

https://www.cbcindustries.com/

Check them out and compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old November 22, 2018, 01:58 PM   #12
ed308

I've put plenty of ARs together with PSA parts. The quality is good. The FN barrels are good quality. Their shipping can get slow during high demand.
Old November 22, 2018, 03:33 PM   #13
rickyrick

Quote:
Their shipping can get slow during high demand.
In the past, their shipping was so slow it became the stuff of legend. They are honest about shipping speeds. In 2014 I waited two months for my kit. I hear they’ve gotten faster, I haven’t ordered anything from them in a year or more. You will get the stuff, just be prepared for a wait, it will be worthwhile.
The original LPK is all been replaced, except for the pistol grip. The lower that my PSA started with has become the lower for three uppers, it has a fixed stock, G2S trigger, rifle buffer tube and associated items. The original PSA upper is great and have not modified it.
Old November 22, 2018, 09:48 PM   #14
n4aof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
I think you're the only person I've ever heard that said they prefer the flat (in my opinion, ugly) mil-spec trigger guard. I put Magpuls on almost every build unless someone specifies other. I have a mil-spec trigger guard rolling around in the bottom of my parts build box, I'll glady mail to you just to get it the heck out of my way. Message me your address if you want it.
It's not that I especially prefer a flat trigger guard (although I have NEVER had any problem with one). My reason for not favoring the Magpul is that never-to-be-sufficiently-damned screw they use to jam the damn thing in place instead of a simple detent and spring.
Old November 22, 2018, 09:53 PM   #15
n4aof

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
In the past, their shipping was so slow it became the stuff of legend.
I bought my kit a couple months ago -- it shipped in less than a week -- In fact I was just beginning to get curious about when it would ship when I got an email from the carrier with an expected delivery date. I think I got an "your order has shipped" email from PSA a day or two later.
Old November 22, 2018, 11:30 PM   #16
Phidelt208

I"m looking into one of these as well, anyone who has bought an upper able to post pictures to show how they shoot. I know they have both FN and there own barrels now.
And I've heard good thing about both.
Old November 24, 2018, 01:09 AM   #17
ed308

My 6.8 upper prints .75 MOA or less. Use it as a dedicated hunting AR. Accuracy is better than my piston LWRC barrel (unless I feeding it 68XM ammo) but not as good as my DI ARP barrels.
Old November 24, 2018, 05:29 AM   #18
LilHog

I bought a complete upper and a few months later a complete lower both from PSA. Fit and finish is excellent and it shoots very well, I have maybe 250 rounds through it so far and no problems. I only shoot 55gr brass and it will due about 2" group at 100 with me using a front rest off a bench. It's their 16' 5.56 carbine length with a 13' Mlok handguard upper, and the lower has their EPT in it. I'm very happy with the rifle so far.
Old November 24, 2018, 09:15 PM   #19
CLC

I have the 20in upper. Ive put 1k rounds through it no problem. Accuracy is fine. I ordered a 10.5 upper on black friday sale. Ordered 11/19 and payment has been processed. Still no shipping notice. The 10.5 will be an SBR when it arrives.
Old December 6, 2018, 07:40 PM   #20
smee78

I have built a few rifles and pistols from the PSA kits and have had no problems. I bought from their freedom line and have been very happy with the purchases.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:03 AM   #21
SFW

I have two complete PSA rifles and I purchased the upper and lower separately. The M4gery that I build is extremely accurate and eats every bullet I feed it. I also have a 300BLK upper that has been extremely accurate as well. I've taken two deer with that one. Now mu M4gery upper in one of the Premium line with the FN CHF barrels. I try to stick with thieir premium line for the things I buy from them. I've also ordered three BCGs from them and have been happy with all three. I've never had to wait more than two weeks for an order to arrive.
Old December 11, 2018, 06:17 AM   #22
rwilky78

I have a PSA 5.56 upper and PSA .300 blk upper used with a PSA lower. While i've only had the .300 blk for a short time the 5.56 is very good in my opinion. I have never had any issues with them at all and they shoot way better than i can.