The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2001, 10:08 PM   #1
SloSolo2

I've recently done a little investigation and it seems like when you compare apples to apples reloading is no cheaper than factory. This seems especially true when you factor in equipment cost and time. I prefer shooting jacketed bullets so that's what I priced. What have I missed?

I'm not asking to start a fight I honestly was thinking I might begin reloading.

Thanks,

Jamie

Old February 2, 2001, 11:16 PM   #2
RugerNo3

Anybody that I know started reloading for the hobby and the chance to build a better round then the factory stuff. I don't load as much as I used to, but still enjoy the tinkering. When you get good at reloading, switch to QUALITY cast bullets sized for the particular firearm. They are as accurate as jacketed and don't wear out barrels as fast. In handguns and 35cal and up rifles it's the creme de la creme. LBT gas checked lead will get more velocity then jacketed in handguns. If in doubt, don't reload, however used equipment from current manufacturers is an excellent value. RCBS, LYMAN, etc.
Old February 3, 2001, 12:42 AM   #3
danm

I dont know SLO. Perhaps you need to recalculate.
On a per-round basis reloading saves me a lot of $.
I calculated that my substantial equipment expenses
were negated after only three months of reloading.
I guess it depends on how much one shoots.
DanM
Old February 3, 2001, 01:13 AM   #4
Michael Priddy

reloading

Yea I save a little money, but that is not why I reload. There is a huge variety of bullet shapes/weight that can't be found in factory laods. I can't get MOA groups with factory stuff. It is good enough to hunt with. I have found that the single most important factor for accuracy other than consistancy in measureing the powder charge is seating depth to three decimal places. The satisfaction of working up a load that will shoot under a half inch and taking it hunting is far superior to walking in Kmart's and buying a box of thuty thutys. I guess any money I save by reloading is burned up by shoot more often. No?? I don't guess I have saved any money reloading when I consider the rifle rest, spotting scope,laser range finder,chronograph, computer programs, custom guns. But it has kept me out of bars and fooling around with strange women..Mike
Old February 3, 2001, 01:57 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Why would you factor in the cost of your time?

I reload because it's fun.
Old February 3, 2001, 02:40 AM   #6
Romulus

Michael P., virtue begets virtue...you've perhaps inadvertently given me the best reason to start reloading for real...

Pax
Old February 3, 2001, 02:42 AM   #7
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Lets see, Federal Match 185gr jacketed swc runs about $22 for a box of 50.

My reloads (Hornady 185gr jacketed swc, Federal LP and Bullseye), which I shoot even better, costs me $24.35 for 100.

I don't see how reloading is not cheaper then factory.
Old February 3, 2001, 07:44 AM   #8
SloSolo2

Thanks for the replies.

In my previous post I didn't explain why I prefer jacketed. I've only fired a few handloads and the smoke was horrendous. The fellow who reloaded them said it was the bullet lube. Maybe you guys could recommend a non smoking lube otherwise I'll stick with jacketed. It was like standing next to a recently extinguised campfire I could barely find my front sight. Did I mention I was shooting a pistol?

Jamie
Old February 3, 2001, 10:14 AM   #9
Quantrill

Slo,
If you calculate in your time, what hourly rate do you figure on? what you make on your day job, what you think you are worth or what Remington pays their factory workers? In figuring out pure money outlay, reloading has it all over the factory loads in addition to be customized for your particular firearm. You already have the time available so use it to make reloads.
In shooting lead handgun reloads, I agree that when shooting indoors, the lube smoke CAN become bothersome. BUT all good indoor ranges should have a ventilation system that overcomes that. In addition, how much lube was being put in those bullets? Various articles (see NRA Cast Bullets) have come to the conclusion that too much lube is detrimental to accuracy. Outdoor shooting with lead lubed bullets should never be a problem. Hope you join our ranks. Quantrill