The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 16, 2021, 04:23 AM   #1
Botaproducts

Bounty Hunter vs Rough Rider service after purchase

I purchased EAA Bounty Hunter 22/22mag on 9/24/21 took it to my back yard range to run some rounds.Nice feel & great accuracy but after you shoot 8 rounds of either cal the unloading was hampered by the ejector rod locking in the gun. Then you had to fiddle with it to get it to return on each round. The whole ejector assembly was also so lose it fell off the gun. I was shooting on a table so put it back on & it did it again after 50 rounds or so. I emailed EAA & they said put some Blue Loctite on the screw so I did. The ejector however still locks in the ejected position. After a couple of phone calls where they acted like they couldn't be bothered & were annoyed that I called and emails where they sadi "that is the way the gun is made" I asked for what purpose does it serve? No answer just a pause then send the gun back if you want to. I did send the gun back, cost $12 to UPS it to them then they charged me $64.20 to ship it back to me & all they did was put a new screw on the ejector (they said it was stripped, big lie). Same problem exists and they said they did it as a courtesy???? I also have Heritage Arms Rough Rider with the same configuration .It came damaged from the factory scathes,ejector button broken, they sent me a label I shipped it there and a week later got the gun back new barrel,button, and reblued the gun, free.
I did a little checking on the BBB in Orlando,FL and EAA although not members has a poor rating. I am also a NRA instructor and have had a 03
for over 30 years Here is a video I did on the subject.
https://youtu.be/gJqhA-4rtC4
Old October 16, 2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Hawg

Is the ejector rod binding in the chambers? If so can you put a slight bend in it so it doesn't touch the chamber walls?
Old October 16, 2021, 03:36 PM   #3
Sarge

If the 22's ejector housing is like their 45 Colt, the head bunds in the slot at the bottom of the stroke. Poor design, easy fix.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/eaa...ction-45-colt/
Old October 16, 2021, 04:14 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
If the 22's ejector housing is like their 45 Colt, the head bunds in the slot at the bottom of the stroke. Poor design, easy fix.
From the photo in your link, it appears that there is a definite notch at the frame and of the ejector slide travel. That doesn't look like "binding," it looks as though they put that there for the purpose of allowing the ejector rod to be captured at full travel ... although why one might wish to do that is up for conjecture.

Your link mentioned and illustrated the issue, but didn't explain your cure for it. I would guess you just took a jeweler's file or a small grinder on a Dremel and rounded off or tapered the shoulder of that notch so the ejector head can no longer be captured?
Jeepaholic
Old October 16, 2021, 06:26 PM   #5
Sarge

Aguila Blanca,

I thought the same thing you did- it all looked designed to capture the ejector rod at full travel. It didn't make any sense to me either. I simply turned that 90 degree corner into a 45 degree ramp, applied some Aluma-Black and it was smooth sailing afterward.

I actually did take a photo of the fix, but missed that one when I was moving pics from the phone to the laptop. "Heck" I says, "I'll do it later." Phone crashed, and I mean crashed before I got it. So I'm pleading Dog (of a phone) Ate My Homework.

Last edited by Sarge; October 16, 2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old October 16, 2021, 06:47 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

No problem, Sarge. I don't even try to do Internet stuff on my phone.

Easy fix on the ejector head. Thanks for confirming.
Jeepaholic