The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 11, 2021, 10:58 AM   #1
stagpanther

New workshop build finally underway

I finally have started getting underway on my workshop project--no small feat since I had to start from the ground up with waterproofing the concrete and putting in the pegboard walls. The first two major toys to install are my shark CNC router on the left and my Prazipress on the right. The CNC router sits on a Kobalt table and the press is on a Craftsman table. The Kobalt table is only a bit more expensive than the Craftsman--but is vastly superior in stability, balance, quality of machining etc. Notice the ledge board I had to add to the back of the Craftsman table to keep it from tipping over. I still have to complete moving in all the reload components and tools which will probably take another week or so.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5872.jpg (244.0 KB, 278 views)
Old October 11, 2021, 11:52 AM   #2
kilotanker22

Looks like you are well on your way man. Is that a Prazipress on the bench?
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old October 11, 2021, 01:35 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
Looks like you are well on your way man. Is that a Prazipress on the bench?
It is indeed my Prazi. It came in months ago but I wanted to get the new shop done first before installing and using it--my top floor bedroom simply ran out of room for all my gear. I still have at least a week's worth of moving to get all the rest of the stuff moved.
Old October 11, 2021, 07:09 PM   #4
TJB101

Very nice. Looks very sturdy with the metal base / legs.
Old October 11, 2021, 10:53 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Very nice. Looks very sturdy with the metal base / legs.
Press or bench? The press is built like a tank--which is why I call it the panzerpress. The Craftsman bench is too narrow and too tall, so is prone to tipping when leveraging on the edge, why I had to back it against the wall and put a 2x4 ledge board to keep it from tipping.
Old October 12, 2021, 05:35 AM   #6
hounddawg

Nice, I am sure you will spend a lot of happy hours down there
Old October 12, 2021, 06:26 AM   #7
std7mag

Wow!
You actually have room to stand up straight in your basement!

Ooohhh.. aaaahhhh...

Lol

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 12, 2021, 01:23 PM   #8
stagpanther

I have a ton of stuff to move--and it's heavy. Just started moving some of the components, maybe a quarter of the way through, and I have to use every nook and cranny available. Two more press stations need to fit in here as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5873.jpg (237.1 KB, 221 views)
Old October 14, 2021, 02:07 PM   #9
stagpanther

yesterday was spent moving my brass--probably somewhere over half a ton-- but is the last of the really heavy stuff. I did a test run of the Prazi loading some 270 win--it works great but the craftsman table just bends and vibrates a bit much, very disappointed since I was hoping at that price it would at least be as stable as a home-built bench. Not. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to reinforce it.
Old October 14, 2021, 03:42 PM   #10
sako2

looks like it's only sheet metal. Maybe some braces on the corners will do it. From the sides to the top. About foot in from sides on the top and a foot down from the top to the sides.
Old October 14, 2021, 06:37 PM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
looks like it's only sheet metal. Maybe some braces on the corners will do it. From the sides to the top. About foot in from sides on the top and a foot down from the top to the sides.
The way they designed it has a support rail half way down the height only on one side--the consequence is that it forces a bow out towards the front. I'm going to have to run a lower brace of some sort to counter that, but likely will have to add some additional thickness to the table top which I don't think will last very long under the stress of the Prazi.
Old October 14, 2021, 07:02 PM   #12
Smoke & Recoil

I can see the bench being rock solid by adding another 3/4" top, glued and screwed down and also facing the front with 2x4's...one on each side, left and right, then across the top while using half-lap joints at the top corners...lay the 2x4's flat.
Old October 14, 2021, 07:05 PM   #13
BornFighting88

Holy mother of all mercy!!! How long was this in the works?? Jealousy isn't even the right word. I really admire a good workshop.
Old October 15, 2021, 04:38 AM   #14
stagpanther

Quote:
I can see the bench being rock solid by adding another 3/4" top, glued and screwed down and also facing the front with 2x4's...one on each side, left and right, then across the top while using half-lap joints at the top corners...lay the 2x4's flat.
Yes, similar to what I have in mind, thnx.
Quote:
Holy mother of all mercy!!! How long was this in the works?? Jealousy isn't even the right word. I really admire a good workshop.
I should have done this years ago, the upstairs bedroom was so overloaded with gear I didn't even know what I had-still don't until I get everything completely moved and inventoried. I'm almost done moving the brass and dies, the powders and primers (what little primers I have left) will be stored separately from each other at different locations. Then there are all the cases of firearm parts which I also have to do inventory of.

Tower of brass:

Die depot:

Besides the Prazi I have a half dozen other presses to figure out where to squeeze them in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5881.jpg (229.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5880.jpg (242.5 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; October 15, 2021 at 04:53 AM.
Old October 17, 2021, 07:44 AM   #15
BornFighting88

Just, magical. Thank you for sharing this.
Old October 17, 2021, 08:21 AM   #16
stagpanther

Magical is one way of looking at it--OCD complex that spreads like cancer is another. "But it's cheaper than factory ammo!"
Old October 17, 2021, 03:58 PM   #17
BornFighting88

When I get close enough to, or even into retirement, or when I can just take the time after work to sit down and do these things more and more, you betcha I will have a setup similar.
Old October 18, 2021, 04:25 AM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
When I get close enough to, or even into retirement, or when I can just take the time after work to sit down and do these things more and more, you betcha I will have a setup similar.
I'm flattered--word to the wise, many older guys take an opposite approach and seek to simplify and reduce their collections and peripherals, a very wise strategy iMO. It's only because I'm single and can do what I want that I can continue to indulge myself and my limited finances in this hobby/obsession.
Old October 18, 2021, 02:32 PM   #19
sako2

Single=smart man. HAHA
Old October 18, 2021, 05:03 PM   #20
BornFighting88

Problem with simplifying is you cut out things you “think” you don’t load anymore, only to need to get back into it the moment you do a purge. Hahah

I have narrowed down to one pistol cartridge (45ACP), but I am going to be into a few rifle cartridges. 300 WSM and 6.5 PRC.
Old October 19, 2021, 08:02 AM   #21
stagpanther

BTW--the Prazi is a superb press, no discernable slop in any of the fittings or "loose goosey"--for example the shell plates lock on via spring loaded bearings which lock the plate tight, no movement at all. Resizing seems effortless and precise. In a league of it's own IMO, though not the kind of press for mass production if that's what you're looking for. Well worth the money and the wait.
Old October 20, 2021, 11:09 AM   #22
hounddawg

Thanks forthe photo in post #8 Stag, now when the wife complains about how I order too many bullets I can just show her that pic

looks like the a great workshop shaping up
Old October 20, 2021, 11:56 AM   #23
stagpanther

Quote:
Thanks forthe photo in post #8 Stag, now when the wife complains about how I order too many bullets I can just show her that pic

looks like the a great workshop shaping up
That's not even all of the bullets--so feel free to tell the wife this is what you want for Christmas. . However, for all the bullets and cases, I'm running low on primers--so the whole operation may come to a halt in the not to distant future if whatever reason that is holding back adequate production/distribution of primers is not addressed soon.
Old November 16, 2021, 02:47 PM   #24
stagpanther

I finally got around to stabilizing the prazi on the table, I decided to build a support tower directly underneath it and then use deck screws to attach the table top to the tower. That seems to have done the trick--vibration in the press is gone. Didn't seem to make much sense to have a top precision press mounted to a table that vibrated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6026.jpg (230.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6025.jpg (175.4 KB, 77 views)