The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 10, 2021, 05:52 AM   #1
Emerald22

Hammerli X-Esse Safety Lever Replacement

Hi,

I've a guy in our club who ordered a replacement safety lever as the original has signs of wear, the little bearing in the spring is visible due to wear and it's not clunking in to the holes on the back of the safety lever, a relatively common problem. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the safety lever and cannot find a resource online to show me. A poster here Dondor (not active since 2016), mentioned this same problem some years back and that he sorted it by replacing the spring, bearing, lever. Another post said that the lever has to be in a particular position before it pops out, but we tried every position in the kama sutra and it wouldn't budge. Someone suggested removing the rear sight but the parts diagram shows no pin or screw under that to release the safety lever. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it was easy for me to send it to Larry's, that's what I'd do, but it ain't easy.
Old September 20, 2021, 05:47 PM   #2
Emerald22

Sorted

The little hole in the safety lever was the key! Put a small screwdriver in to push the ball bearing down against the compression spring.

To fit the replacement parts, I needed to drop the compression spring into the pivot, which is pushed into position from inside the slide, and then drop the ball bearing in through the hole in the safety lever. Then use a small screwdriver to press in the ball bearing against the spring as the safety lever slides across. I hope that helps someone at some stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 448CD76C-8636-46F6-9108-DB1B35102F93.jpeg (741.8 KB, 54 views)