The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 20, 2021, 06:58 PM   #1
ZEBRARANGER

2.5" Python Question

My sister in law's Father passed away about three years ago. Amongst some of the items she inherited was this 2.5" (I think unfired) Python. She also received a couple of hunting rifles that she ended up giving to her son since he hunted. Neither she or my brother are gun people, so when he told me what she had, I told him that they should take good care of it until I could come over and take a look at it. When I finally made it over there 3 years ago, I was surprised to see what I thought was an unfired 2.5" Python.

When I told her what she had, I advised her to keep it, especially if it had any sentimental value to her, not to fire it or even work the action, and I explained why. I didnt do a deep cleaning because her Dad kept it in a pistol case in the safe, so it looked and functioned good. So I just gave it a good oil wipe down and explained that if they handle it, that they should do the same with the oil rag. So I gave them some gun care supplies and moved on.

So, here 3 years later, my brother calls me and said that his wife wants to sell it, and they want my help. I'm no Colt expert, and definitely not a Python expert (most of my SA and DA revolvers are Rugers or S&W) so I told her that I would post about it here and get some opinions from some of the more Colt Veterans here at the forum. It does not have the box, it does have the original manual and original 1982 purchase receipt.

I dated it to a manufacturer date of 1981, and thats about all I know about it. It looks unfired, very very faint turn line, I didnt see any powder residue around the cylinder or forcing cone areas. I took as detailed photos as I could with my cell phone to show here. I only own one Colt, a 1984 6" King Cobra, I wouldnt mind adding this to my collection, but I know that price wise, its probably out of my reach. Would anyone here in the know, more so than I, know what she should be asking for this gun when she puts it up for sale. Thanks in advance,

Old October 20, 2021, 07:36 PM   #2
BourbonCowboy

I would guess upwards of $4K. Prices on the old Pythons are crazy.
Old October 20, 2021, 07:53 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I would guess upwards of $4K.
Or maybe more. It it's in as good of shape (mint condition) in real life as it is in the pics, it would be a "near unique" find. Someone could spend easily spend a decade searching for a 2.5" (highly desirable bbl length) Python in that kind of condition. We're getting into "holy grail" territory.

No telling what it would bring at auction.
Old October 21, 2021, 11:30 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

This might be a case where a professional appraisal is worthwhile. And I don't mean what the local gunshop or pawnbroker says its worth.

Yes, prices on Pythons are stupid high right now, and your gun is one of the rarest Pythons in like new condition.

It could very well be "worth" $4000 or more...

BUT, that doesn't mean it would sell for that.

A friend of mine who tracks these things much closer than I do tells me that while there are Pythons with asking prices of $3, or even $4000 (and one over $5000!) these guns are not selling. Even at auction.

Crass commercial reality is that no matter what a gun ought to be worth, what is actually worth is what you can sell it for. And the market is both erratic and fickle.

You can have a situation where a gun priced at $4k simply sits on the shelf (and/or internet listing) for YEARS and no one wants it. Then the good guy or the bad guy uses one in a blockbuster movie or TV show and there's 6 guys lined up whipping out their plastic to meet your price and guy #7 just stepped in the door and yells out "I'll give you $5!!!"

Get an appraisal from a qualified source, and then, if you "want cash now" decide how much less than that you'll sell it for,,,

Good Luck.
Old October 21, 2021, 12:25 PM   #5
ZEBRARANGER

Good replies and information, I do appreciate it. The appraisal idea is a good one, I'll recommend this to my brother & his wife. They really dont need the money, they are both retired and in good shape, just not gun people. I called my brother this morning and asked him why does she want to sell it.

He said that both of her sons (from another marriage) would like to have it, but both would probably just sell it for the cash. She cant just give it to one without upsetting the other. So if she gets rid of it, she avoids family problems with her two sons. I guess I can understand that.

I'd really like to add this to my collection of Ruger & S&W revolvers, and the only Colt in my collection, a 6" King Cobra. I've discussed this with my wife and she's adamantly against it. I explained its as good as money in the bank, and gave her a couple of other good reasons too.

But she says, purchasing a gun now for 4 or 5 thousand dollars in todays world and economy is stupid, and especially since we will be retiring next year and living on a limited budget and income. She said that my two hobbies have always been way too expensive (she's definitely right about that), but she's always said that throughout the years. So to keep peace in my family, I'm going to sadly pass on this.

Thanks again for the good suggestions and info.
Old October 23, 2021, 03:59 PM   #6
ZEBRARANGER

I just wanted to give an very excited update to everyone. My brother and his wife came over today for what I thought was to collaborate on setting up their sale ad on Gunbroker (since they had never done anything like that before). Out of the blue, his wife Michelle said to me, if you would like to buy the gun, I would sell it to you for $1800 dollars and trade one of your smaller revolvers to us, that way it stays in the family.

It caught me off guard, and for a moment there, I wasn't even sure what to say. I was very surprised and once I processed that statement, I quickly showed them a 2-1/4" Ruger SP101 D/A only, and a couple of S&W J frames, a 442 and a 636. They liked the 442 J frame, so I gave them 1800 dollars and the S&W 442. I am now the proud owner of this beautiful Python, which is now the prize of my collection. Damn, I really couldn't be happier. Thanks to everyone for your input on this.

Last edited by ZEBRARANGER; October 23, 2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old October 23, 2021, 05:32 PM   #7
Eddiejoe

Congratulations!
Old October 24, 2021, 07:11 AM   #8
lunger

Congratulations! That is a stunning revolver. Great that it stayed with the family.
Old October 24, 2021, 11:23 AM   #9
zeke

That is a stunning revolver! If memory serves someone unloaded a bunch of nice 2 1/2 inchers several years ago, which the prices have been slowly recovering from. Have a first edition model, which i never shot and foolishly cleaned the residue from the 3 proof shots.
Old October 24, 2021, 11:31 AM   #10
zeke

Old October 24, 2021, 11:35 AM   #11
Willie Lowman

You made out great! Congrats
Old October 24, 2021, 07:35 PM   #12
ZEBRARANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Now that looks pristine Zeke, thanks for posting.
Old October 26, 2021, 07:06 AM   #13
Wheelgun

Congratulations. Cool revolver.