The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 16, 2019, 11:57 AM   #1
CDR_Glock

Derringers and North American Arms for SD?

In certain situations I can see how these would come into play. The Bond Arms 357 Magnum 2 Round Derringer is such a fun fun to shoot. Recoil is nothing as I have tried it with 38 Special, 38 +P and 357 Magnum with 125gr and 158gr bullets, respectively.

I carry my North American Arms a lot, as a backup gun or for discrete carry alongside a Sig Sauer P365.

What are your thoughts or approach to these novelties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 16, 2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, it isn’t impossible to win a gunfight without a gun; but it does up the level of difficulty substantially. So two shots beats zero.
Old November 16, 2019, 01:19 PM   #3
Prof Young

It all depends . . .

I have an NAA Blackwidow. Mostly bought it as a range toy. It has come along as a BUG, but my KelTec P3AT makes a better BUG. The NAA little guns are well made and a lot of fun. Just not a lot of practical uses . . . even so . . . I'm thinking about adding the Pug model to my collection.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 16, 2019, 01:32 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Lets see. No sights and just 2 shots. You'd have to be up close and personal with either of 'em. However, as mentioned, gun fight Rule Number One is "Have a gun."
Old November 16, 2019, 01:36 PM   #5
thegatman

I carry a NAA all the time. Very discreet backup for my lcrx.
Old November 16, 2019, 03:20 PM   #6
reteach

When I was a kid (50 or so years ago) someone gave me a two-shot .22 magnum derringer. It was kinda fun but I never could shoot it worth a hoot and it was awkward in my hand. I gave it to somebody else.

I've been thinking real hard about the NAA Ranger II, the top break version in their lineup. I keep talking myself out of it. In that configuration, the gun is as long as my Beretta 3032. The overall height is less, and the NAA weighs considerably less, but the .32 carries 8 rounds and reloads a lot faster. I already have guns that hardly ever get out of the safe, so I don't need to add another to that pile.

So while it looks great and should be a lot of fun, I'm going to continue talking myself out of it.
Old November 16, 2019, 04:46 PM   #7
AK103K

I have a couple of the NAA revolvers. They are cool little guns, but not something I would consider for anything other than a third line, last-ditch use.

That said, and contrary to what Ive seen posted a good bit, they can be shot quite well/accurately, and fairly quickly. For what its worth anyway. I certainly wouldnt want to get shot with one, but they are still just .22's out of a 1" or so barrel, so you'd better be good with it and make them count.

Never been a big fan of the Derringers, other than maybe history, nostalgia, and Greenie Stick'em Caps. Some of the bigger ones in large calibers, just seem silly. For as big as they are, might as well carry a more realistic gun.
Old November 16, 2019, 05:46 PM   #8
TruthTellers

The Bond derringers hold two shots and weigh more than an LCR. I'll take the NAA Black Widow all day, but really a Kel Tec P32 beats either of the choices.

I see no reason to ever carry a Bond derringer, it's not 1885 anymore and none of us are prostitutes working in a whorehouse or gunfighters playing poker. If you want to pull out the .410 for snakes arguement, the Taurus poly Public Defender holds 5 rounds, better ergonomics, and a DA trigger.

That said, Bond is making cheaper versions of their derringers now and for $275 that's not awful.
Old November 16, 2019, 05:55 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by reteach View Post
When I was a kid (50 or so years ago) someone gave me a two-shot .22 magnum derringer. It was kinda fun but I never could shoot it worth a hoot and it was awkward in my hand. I gave it to somebody else.

I've been thinking real hard about the NAA Ranger II, the top break version in their lineup. I keep talking myself out of it. In that configuration, the gun is as long as my Beretta 3032. The overall height is less, and the NAA weighs considerably less, but the .32 carries 8 rounds and reloads a lot faster. I already have guns that hardly ever get out of the safe, so I don't need to add another to that pile.

So while it looks great and should be a lot of fun, I'm going to continue talking myself out of it.
I'll help you some: The Ranger II is not worth it. All it offers is a faster reload, but the issues of shooting an NAA mini revolver are all still present; your first 5 shots and second 5 shots will be no easier to shoot than a standard $200 NAA.

Between the Sidewinder and the Ranger, I'm thinking that the Sidewinder is a more reliable and robust design. Not as quick to reload as the Ranger, but still faster than the pull pin NAA's.

IMO tho, if you need a fast reload with your NAA, carry a second one or buy a .22 LR/.22 Mag combo and carry the second cylinder already loaded.
Old November 16, 2019, 06:10 PM   #10
AK103K

I really dont see a reload with any of the NAA's being feasible or realistic at all.

Trying to keep rounds in the cylinder when youre at the range or in the yard, when youre relaxed and not stressed can be a challenge. Trying to poke the empties out and then reload, or use another cylinder that somehow keeps the rounds in place, especially with all hell breaking loose around you, just seems to be very unrealistic.

For what and where these guns "might" have a place, a good knife would probably do you just as well, and probably better.
Old November 16, 2019, 07:04 PM   #11
Auto5

I have an NAA Sheriff in.22mag as my trail/jogging gun, but it's not one of my regular SD guns.
Old November 16, 2019, 07:15 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

The Bond guns are as big as, and heavier than some "J" frame guns.
The mini revolvers are cute. The larger ones are in Keltec P32 territory.
Any gun is better than no gun, but there are far better guns to carry.
Old November 16, 2019, 10:28 PM   #13
kenny53

I might use a NAA or a derringer as a back up. I had a cheaper derringer in 38 special at one time. The trigger pull was unbelievably heavy. Was not fun to shoot. I believe Bond is an excellent weapon. I wonder about the trigger pull.
Old November 16, 2019, 10:36 PM   #14
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny53 View Post
I might use a NAA or a derringer as a back up. I had a cheaper derringer in 38 special at one time. The trigger pull was unbelievably heavy. Was not fun to shoot. I believe Bond is an excellent weapon. I wonder about the trigger pull.

The Bond Arms 357 Magnum 2 Round Derringer trigger is 8 pounds.

I almost carried it on a whim. It is almost as big as my Sig Sauer P365.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 17, 2019, 02:03 AM   #15
swissfist

I just acquired a Bond arms Rowdy in .45LC/.410 for EDCand carry in an ankle holster along with my Kahr CW45 in a IWB holster. I do not feel under gunned.
Old November 19, 2019, 01:59 PM   #16
CDW4ME

Pocket 380 (LCP/P3AT) > derringer or NAA
And that (380) would be as a 2nd gun (back-up whatever) not a primary.
Old November 19, 2019, 02:08 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Too big, too heavy for two rounds. Single action that is relatively difficult to cock for each round.
Fun range toys, but very limited CCW use. Pretty much deep hide out, last ditch gun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 19, 2019, 02:54 PM   #18
SIGSHR

A good example of what Charlie Askins called a "belly gun."
Old November 21, 2019, 12:08 AM   #19
jstert

to each his own, both the north american arms and bond arms handguns can be useful as a ccw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old November 21, 2019, 05:31 AM   #20
Carmady

I'd even hesitate to call it a belly gun, unless that belly is a few feet away. If there's any physical contact while trying to fire one of those, cocking the SA will become a major obstacle IF you can manage to cock it under the circumstances.

The BJT or ADC DA-38 double action derringers would be the only ones I'd consider for SD, and that would be if I couldn't find my LCP or P-32.

The NAA's do have their small size and low recoil going for them, which are advantages, but I'd rather have a P-32. More rounds, bigger bullet, DA, and faster reloads.
Old November 22, 2019, 10:33 PM   #21
youngridge

I carry a sidewinder 22 mag along with either my BG380 or 365. Sometimes due to dress attire the sidewinder is the only one that’s gets to go. A gun is better than no gun. My sidewinder is decent up close, kind of fun to shoot too. I got the sidewinder combo for $300 I believe a few years ago. You won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2019, 08:25 AM   #22
Hal

I am thinking real hard about a .22 mag NAA mini.

My thoughts are that it's the right size to carry on my daily bicycle ride(s).

I've carried my Ruger LCP a few times in the cargo pocket of my cargo shorts.

The constant - fwap-fwap-fwap-fwap - against my thigh gets annoying after only a mile or two, let alone 30/35 miles.

A derringer? Forget it. I have a two shot .22lr. It's a fun range toy & it does have it's uses. I should say, did have it's uses.
I used to carry it in my pocket in the Spring when I cut the grass.

A lot of snakes would lay in the tall grass & sun themselves. They would get caught up in the blades & I'd have to pop them in the head w/a shot shell or .22 CB cap or .22 short.
Old November 23, 2019, 11:57 AM   #23
Bartholomew Roberts

That’s actually a pretty good use for them as defensive pistols. Carry them with .22 shotshells in your pocket and you don’t have to go find a shovel or hoe when you come across a rattlesnake hanging out in the yard. And hopefully, 2 shots is sufficient capacity for that purpose.
Old November 23, 2019, 12:46 PM   #24
Ben Dover

I've had at least a dozen of them over the years. I'll pass!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 23, 2019, 03:50 PM   #25
Sgt127

I still have an American Derringer 45LC/.410. It has all the ergonomics of a lump of iron ore and, weighs about the same.

There’s a Remington RM380 in my pocket loaded with hard cast Flat point .380’s. More accurate, more ergonomic, more rounds, weighs less.

As much as I like the old Derringers, they are just toys for me.