The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 16, 2019, 05:59 PM   #1
Calfed

Faux M41B Swedish sniper

Several years back I got a great deal on a Swedish M96. It is not a total mixmaster...bolt and bolt components, receiver, and buttplate match. Floorplate, barrel bands and bolt release do not. Bore is great.

My cheap camera can't quite capture the bore's shine.

I never really shot it much, but here is 5 rounds of the PPU 120gr "target ammo" @ 100 yards shot with iron sights right after I got it.

A few months ago I decided to convert one of my M96's into a Swedish sniper rifle for use in the CMP vintage sniper rifle matches. This one got the nod. I bought an Accumount repro scope mount and sent it to a trusted gunsmith. He is fairly busy and it took some months for him to complete the job. In the mean time I got a smoking deal on a real Swedish M41B sniper rifle, but that is a different story.

After he completed the job, he sent me several pictures of the rifle and I must admit, it came out looking good.

Old July 16, 2019, 06:04 PM   #2
Calfed

Here are a few more of pictures of the Swede...

Old July 18, 2019, 10:20 AM   #3
Calfed

I took the faux M41B out this weekend for some 200 and 300 yard shooting. It did pretty well with my reloads.

@200 yards, first two were 7:00 o'clock in the 10 ring, the next three were in the x ring. Group size was about 1.5", or about .75 MOA.

Things opened up considerably at 300 yards

@300 yards. The barrel had cooled down, not sure what order the shots were because I could not make them out with my spotting scope. Group size is about 3.5", or just over 1 MOA.