The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2001, 02:38 PM   #1
Trigger Jerk

I purchased some 54 grain red tip tracers recently.I loaded them with WC846 (Win 748) and they worked just fine. Now a few months later with the same load, I get only one out ot ten to light, but with the same powder, the 62 grain tracers are just fine, what gives here?

I've been told to use 4895 , but I don't like to in the 22 cal case becasue it "bridges".

Can anyone shed some light on this , and also, are there any web sites with technical or otherwise interesting information about tracers?

Thanks,

Old February 25, 2001, 10:27 AM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Its the second, and third, and fourth, etc., tracers that are bad on a bore. Some tracers (not all) leave somekind of ashy residue in the bore and consectuive firing grinds this ash in to the bore and it acts like sandpaper. If you would fire one, and then clean, and one then clean, etc. they may not harm it.