The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 30, 2017, 04:10 PM   #1
USMCJake

S&W Mod 66

New to this but I need some HELP. I have a S&W Mod 66 that has been in my family for quite some time, the problem I have is history on the gun. It has two serial
Numbers. The official # on the bottom of the grip frame is 4K52046 but the number on the frame under the cylinder is FHP 1210 . The story I was told when I was young is that a small amount of these guns were made with a high polished frame to test with the Florida Highway Patrol and that after the trial time ended they were deemed to shiny so they were sold off and the FHP purchased the Mod 66 with a matte finish. So the question is what do I have other than a beautiful Mod 66 and a good story?? Thanks in advance for any info I can get!
Old January 30, 2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Stephanie B

The gun only has one serial number. The number on the bottom of the grip frame is the official S&W serial number.

The other number may be a FHP sequence number. But it's not the serial number.
Old January 30, 2017, 08:55 PM   #3

Yes......the bottom number is nothing more than the FHP inventory number.

If anything, it would detract from the revolver's overall value for someone looking for an all original handgun.
Old January 30, 2017, 09:21 PM   #4
Sevens

This link will look comically long but I trust that it will lead to some great reading and help quite specifically with a FHP S&W Model 66.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/searchr...2753j1796373j6

Hope that helps!
Old January 30, 2017, 11:03 PM   #5
USMCJake

Thank you all for the response, went to the link and saw several Mod 66 just like mine, guess the story was better than fact but I have a great gun that I got from a great man ( my dad). When I go it will go to my son he loves it also.

Semper Fi !!!
Old January 30, 2017, 11:40 PM   #6

I have a S&W model 66 with a 2.5" barrel. Bought it way back in 1981. Changed out the grips for some with a little more meat on them.

Those grips changed the whole feel and point-ability of the gun. It's one of my favorite revolvers. I love that thing..............