The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 25, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1
steveNChunter

In the market for a new Muzzleloader

I'm looking to buy a new muzzloader for deer hunting and would like to know who makes the best without breaking the bank. As in under $500, preferably not over $400. We only have two weeks of blackpowder deer season here in NC and I don't want to put big $$ into a rifle that will be used that little. I've borrowed my dad's T/C Firehawk in .54 cal for the past few years and taken several deer with it, but I want one of my own. I'd like to shoot .45 caliber, but .50 would be OK if the gun I need isn't offered in .45. I want one that uses .209 primers of course, and I'd like for it to be stainless because it makes cleaning SOO much easier.

Suggestions?
Old May 25, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Pahoo

Too many "good" choices

Then the question comes down to used or new. On new, there are more choices every year and for the most part, they are all good and most require the 209. As you already know, your Dad's Firehawk is great shooter and you can still find then, used. In new, might want to take a look at the TC Omega Family. Thankfully, I am down to one In-Line rifle and that is what I'm sticking with. It's a TC Black-Diamond and I have the option of all three primers. ....

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 25, 2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Steve

I am no hunter and never have been.

But I think the deer in eastern NC are smaller than those in the western part of the state.

That may mean a different rifle.

Am I off on that?
Old May 25, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
steveNChunter

Doc, there isn't much difference in eastern and western NC deer. I live in the far western part of the state (near Boone) but I have hunted as far east as the Wilmington area and havent seen much difference in body size. Anything 200 lbs. or larger is a big'un and if you take a deer that scores over 150 B&C in your lifetime you are a lucky hunter. Thats the story pretty much statewide. Deer in my area are a mixed breed of larger Wisconsin deer that were released in the area by the state's WRC many years ago, and the smaller native deer. Genetics aren't great but if a buck lives to be 3-4 years old he has a good chance of being an 8-12 point with a 16" or larger inside spread. Not record book stuff but they still look nice on the wall

What about the T/C Impact? And is the Weathershield finish worth getting? What little research I have done has most people praising the Impact as the best "cheap" muzzleloader out there.

Last edited by steveNChunter; May 25, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Pahoo

That'll work just fine !!!

Quote:
What about the T/C Impact?
I would not have a problem with this break-open type and in fact, many have gone to this action. I have not shot the impact but have held it and understand it's features. It is also classified as a closed breech type that allows for better weather protection. Again, back to your Dad's Firehawk, this model falls into the open breech type.

For a number of years, I hunted in Alabama and prior to going down there, some folks told me that the deer were small. I actually found that they were just average sized Whitetails and a monster buck is rare. The shop that did our mounts did have a couple of monsters on the wall. Iowa has bigger deer but Alabama has more. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 25, 2013, 07:25 PM   #6
steveNChunter

Quote:
...Firehawk, this model falls into the open breech type.
Thats one of the things I don't care for on that gun. Its a little less protected from the weather as you said, but what kinda aggrevates me about the design is that its sort of hard to insert the primer into that little hole in the action behind the breech plug, and a little harder to get it out without dropping it either down in the action or on the ground. Thats why I think I might prefer the break-open action, closed-breech design of the Impact.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
woodnbow

I think Doc's right, you may want to print his post and put it up on the refrigerator for reference... ;-)
Old May 25, 2013, 08:27 PM   #8
steveNChunter

Quote:
I think Doc's right, you may want to print his post and put it up on the refrigerator for reference... ;-)
I don't follow... right about what? Deer size in NC or what rifle I need? I'm pretty sure a .50 cal muzzle loader will kill any whitetail in NC...
Old May 25, 2013, 09:15 PM   #9
woodnbow

About needing two rifles, one for eastern deer and one for western deer... It's only prudent... and completely tongue in cheek. Although I' will admit to owning rifles specifically for deer and others specifically for elk, and plains whitetails vs. mountain Muleys, black timber elk vs hayfield elk, and then there are antelope and sheep to consider... A fella sure does need a lot of guns, we're not even talking archery season here.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If I were you I take a look see at one of them T/C Triumph Black Powder Rifles. Its got all them refinements you inline shooters like. Speed breech plug, 209 priming, adjustable fiber optic barrel sights. I think the Triumph's too have that weather-shield coating. Reviews are pretty good from those who own one. One thing you need to consider prior to any B/P rifles purchase is its warranty. Thompson Center has the best warranty in the business when it comes to one of their shooting products. (Lifetime for the original owner) Best way to judge for yourself is read some of those reviews that Midway post concerning the rifles they sell. All honest uninhibited opinions from their costumers.

S/S
Old May 26, 2013, 10:22 AM   #11
Pahoo

Choices !!!

Quote:
About needing two rifles, one for eastern deer and one for western deer...
At this point in time, NEGATIVE !!
Now, understand that "anytime" is a great time to buy a new rifle and if the sun rises in the morning, that is about as much encouragement that I need. ..

Quote:
If I were you I take a look see at one of them T/C Triumph Black Powder Rifles.
That would be my choice over the Impact and as I said before, there are many choices, such as Traditions Vortek. I'm kind of feeling put out with TC, since they no longer make a SideLocks. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 26, 2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Pahoo That would be an excellent topic (traditional builds & T/Cs recent decision)) I'm sure there are others who would like to know that info and perhaps chime in about it.

S/S
Old May 26, 2013, 10:12 PM   #13
steveNChunter

Quote:
If I were you I take a look see at one of them T/C Triumph Black Powder Rifles
I've looked at those online a good bit, but I believe if I were spending that kind of money I'd rather just get the Omega. The Impact starts at $250. Seems like a bargain to me.
Old May 27, 2013, 01:11 AM   #14
newfrontier45

Quote:
I don't want to put big $$ into a rifle that will be used that little.
Who says you only have to use it for those two weeks???
Old May 27, 2013, 07:13 AM   #15
steveNChunter

I have too many centerfire rifles that don't want to share the spotlight
Old May 27, 2013, 09:44 AM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
but I believe if I were spending that kind of money I'd rather just get the Omega
Indeed they are nice. Omega's are. Certainly my choice of rifle if I were in the market for a inline. Especially that all stainless steel model. But its price is beyond what this OP is wanting to pay. Weather shield one? I've heard a few pro and cons about that rifle early in its production. But indeed Thompson backs their stuff up with a super warranty. Like some others. I'll probably have to carry that old T/C Hawkens 45 afield again this year since I can't seem to score on a an Omega stainless model for my Birthday, Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa. (I celebrate them all. ) "Never hurts to broaden one's horizons as they say." __This year already I've had another birthday. Darn!! >Still no Omega but I did score on cake and ice-cream.

S/S
Old May 30, 2013, 08:23 AM   #17
kraigwy

One day last winter I was searching the internet for reloading components and all I could find was black powder stuff.

So out of spite I ordered the TC Omega. Sucker is a kick in the butt.

Takes up to 150 gr of BP or BP substitute and shooting 300 gr slugs would be good for anything in North America.

I've been buying sabots and shooting 44 & 45 cast pistol bullets. Those white pellets are clean shooting.

The Omega is well under your budget.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 30, 2013, 09:51 AM   #18
Pahoo

White-Hots ???

Quote:
I've been buying sabots and shooting 44 & 45 cast pistol bullets. Those white pellets are clean shooting.
These are part of my normal shot-string, for Midwestern deer and buy my pistol bullets and sabot, in bulk. Saves me a lot of money. .....

Quote:
Those white pellets are clean shooting.
You are obviously taking about the "White-Hots" and we have not seen many posts on there performance. Could/would you care to elaborate?....

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 30, 2013, 10:40 AM   #19
kraigwy

Yes, White Hots.

In my rifle they are accurate plus I get more shots between swabbing the barrel. Also, since they are cleaner follow up shots are easier to push down the barrel.

Easier to clean after shooting.

I've used two (100 grs) and three (150 grs). Can't really see much difference in recoil but three pellets are faster.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 30, 2013, 02:21 PM   #20
noelf2

I have a T/C Impact, and hunt with it. I have the camo stock and weather shield barrel. I highly recommend it. Just get a good scope on it (leupold VX-1 on mine). Same scope mount as the Omega.
Old May 30, 2013, 06:19 PM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

Second hand minie gun.
Old June 1, 2013, 01:48 PM   #22
Old Stony

Something seems out of kilter to me with all the talk of black powder guns for hunting. I may be mistaken, but to the best of my knowledge the black powder seasons were originally designed to be "primitive" hunting. I just have a hard time relating an inline rifle using some synthetic propellent and sporting a scope as primitive. There are many sidelocks out there that would meet the definition of primitive rifles and make the hunting experience one to remember. These sidelocks may limit a hunter to around 100 yds., but since when have primitive hunts needed high tech rifles capable of 200-300 yd. shots? I have shot deer with sidelocks..both rifled and smoothbore..with percussion caps and flints and had some very satisfying hunts. There is just something about a patched round ball seated over real black powder that takes a person to that real world of primitive hunting.
Perhaps I might seem a little one sided about this issue, but primitive was the original intention of a black powder season and I just prefer to test my mettle against the forces of nature rather than rely on modern inventions that in some obscure way try to mimic real black powder rifles but stack the deck in the favor of the hunter.
Don't get me wrong, I love modern guns and own many variations and brands. Both types have their place in shooting and hunting.
Old June 1, 2013, 04:57 PM   #23
noelf2

Quote:
I have shot deer with sidelocks..both rifled and smoothbore..with percussion caps and flints and had some very satisfying hunts. There is just something about a patched round ball seated over real black powder that takes a person to that real world of primitive hunting.
It doesn't matter what you hunt with as long as it's legal and you either have fun, need the meat, or both. If satisfaction only comes to you if you hunt primitive season with sidelocks, then that's what you need to do. If satisfaction comes to you with only modern inlines scoped out to 300yds, then that's what you need to do. If you get satisfaction from all sorts of legal hunting methods, then you are truly blessed.
Old June 1, 2013, 05:41 PM   #24
44 Dave

My best memories are of July shot deer hanging in in hidden holes in the icehouse. meat hunters, out the truck window with the 30-30.
Now it is a sidelock for fun, and violating is too dangerous $$$$$$ now days.
Old June 4, 2013, 04:37 AM   #25
steveNChunter

Just to update and conclude this thread... I ended up ordering a T/C Impact. It took some looking around but I finally found one with the black synthetic stock and Weathershield finish. (I'm not really a camo stock kinda guy) I'm still not certain about the Weathershield finish but it wasn't much more than the blued model so I figured I'd give it a try.